DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
From Ars Technica:

Locast's free TV service shuts down after losing copyright ruling
Locast can't use revenue from users to expand into new markets, judge rules.
Locast said it is shutting down its TV service, at least for now, in response to its loss in court. "We are suspending operations, effective immediately," Locast said in a message on its homepage. "As a nonprofit, Locast was designed from the very beginning to operate in accordance with the strict letter of the law, but in response to the court's recent rulings, with which we respectfully disagree, we are hereby suspending operations, effective immediately."
FULL ARTICLE HERE

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Lets see here.... DFW Market (#5):
  • ABC (WFAA) - Tegna Inc.
  • CBS (KTVT) - CBS O&O
  • NBC (KXAS) - NBC O&O
  • Fox (KDFW) - Fox O&O
Sacramento Market (#20):
  • ABC (KXTV) - Tegna Inc.
  • CBS (KOVR) - CBS O&O
  • NBC (KCRA) - Hearst Television
  • Fox (KTXL) - Nexstar Media Group
It's all part of the Retransmission content which was passed in 1992 as part of the Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act which was veto-ed by President Bush on October 3rd, 1992, only to have the veto overridden two days later by both legislative chambers. As local advertising revenues have dried up, the stations have been looking to make up that income through retransmission fees, partially because the stations have to pay the networks for carriage. (And, ages ago, the networks paid the stations for carriage. Blame the increasing sports rights costs.)

Should the fees be broken out? Yes. Will they? Probably not due to contractual restrictions.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
The problem with limiting free retransmission to ota is out west. Stop the provincial thinking that is typical of the east coast. My dma is 500 miles on a side, there are several others that are larger. You can't simply put up a tall tower with an array of terrestrial antennas to pick up the signals, it's impossible, period. Not just the distance, but the fact we have these things called mountain ranges and volcanos that routinely exceed 10k feet; they make the mountains of east and west Pennsylvania, where along with our mountain and coastal communities cable got its start, look like little bumps in the terrain. It required, back in the day, multiple microwave links to each repeater.
For your viewing pleasure, here is a video showing that 80% of the United States population lives in the eastern half of the United States.

The transmitters for the Sacramento stations are located in Walnut Grove, not Sacramento, and are among the highest in the western United States. As for the San Francisco stations, most are located on the Sutro Tower, as the SF Bay Area terrain is a transmission nightmare. As for the DFW area, most are located in Cedar Hill south of Dallas. But, then again, we are talking about the #5 (DFW), #6 (SF) and #20 (Sac) media markets.

When it comes down to the Neilson rankings, the top 50% of the television households are in the top 25 markets. Number one and number two are New York City and Los Angeles respectively, making up 10.9% of the television households. The bottom 10% of television markets start with #116-Springfield-Holyoke (MA) and end with #210 Glendive (MT). While the Salt Lake City market is ranked #30, it covers the entire STATE of Utah, plus portions of western Nevada, southern Idaho, and southwestern Wyoming.... which includes plenty of repeaters to get those 1.1 million television homes.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
The broadcasters have to deal with the fact that the way we "consume" media has changed drastically in the past 50 years. We went from having one television in the home with the programming on one of three broadcast networks plus maybe 1-2 independent stations to where we have multiple televisions in the home plus mobile phones and tablets for watching programming. Missed an episode? No more several month wait for a rerun, just stream it! And, what is the most talked about programs? Most likely on a streaming service now. We have seen the rise and fall of physical media alternatives (Beta, VHS, DVD, BluRay) and their distribution methods (video rental store, video selection at the store).

Also, our lives have dramatically changed in the past 50 years. I'm in a middle of a major project at work, and I told my neighbor (a major Dallas Cowboys fan) that I won't be able to drop by for the Sunday games until November. I only have one day off at the moment, and I need that day for myself to run errands and do chores. Right now, I can't afford that three hour slice out of my weekend when I can watch the highlights on nfl.com .

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
KXTV/KOVR tower - Wikipedia:

Built in 1986, it is the tallest structure in California, the third-tallest guyed mast in the world (as of 2001), and the seventh tallest structure to have ever existed if the destroyed Warsaw radio mast, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the Shanghai Tower in Shanghai and the Tokyo Sky Tree in Tokyo are included.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.