DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 7 Posts

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
How come when you subscribe to cable, they charge extra for locals, but don't allow you to opt out? Seems rather shady. I was checking Xfinity, and they charge $14.95 on top of their "cable package" price for locals, but dont let you opt out. Seems like false advertising. They should have to include EVERY CHANNEL you cannot opt out of getting in their "package price", no small print that its plus $14.95 for locals, and plus $8.00 for the RSN channel, plus tax plus plus plus

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Cable is required to include locals in their lowest level (and all levels above). Satellite does not have that restriction.
The marketing could be better but the fees vary by market and Xfinity wants to have "national" prices like the other national providers.
OK, so if it is required, why do they hide the extra charge in their package price, and only include the extra $14.95 monthly charge in the fine print you wont see until after you sign up? I was trying to compare charges, and honestly, after reading all the fricking fine print, I couldnt even tell how much it would cost me a month for a cable tv package. There were so many charges, so many credits for this and that (that only kick in 3 months later), and other BS, it was a total nightmare compared with the flat rate streaming services. I dont see how anyone deals with them.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Wow ... This thread has moved from the death of the latest service to attempt to retransmit locals without paying royalties to the death of the stations they carry.
I can believe it. Except for football and Nascar, I have not turned on a local station for over a year. If they were to go 4KHDR, I might watch some programming just for the experience, but 720p??? Forget it. I still watch mainly linear cable channels, YouTube, HBOMax and Disney+, in that order.

1 - 6 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.