DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dad
6,618 Posts
The whole Locast thing is perplexing to me. I understand why Broadcasters were against this type of product back 5 to 10 years but today, it could help them. People are turning off Cable and SAT. And the amount of consumers that are savvy enough to put up a good antenna isn't that high.

With Locast, I can watch all my locals, in my local area. If I go buy a $100-$200 portable TV and pull up the big telescoping antenna, i can do that in 50% of my home market. So why are broadcasters against letting me stream it on my 6" mobile phone? They have zero interest in OTA ATSC portable TV's hardware sales.

When I am out of my home market, Locast won't show me my locals. (OK so there are some hacks to do that but the general consumer won't know that. No different than VPN to your home TV box).

I studied the industry years ago. I understand carriage rules but if I can buy a portable TV and do this, why in the world are broadcasters forcing me to do that and not letting me watch it on my mobile phone when I am in my home market? If I can't, I then switch to Netflix, Hulu, and others and not one of them has a local TV plan with my monthly fees. They lose my eyeballs and eyeballs=ratings. They force me to the competitive services. No CBS, I am not paying for Paramount+ either!

·
Dad
6,618 Posts
To try to keep people from leaving the Cable and Sat plans and keep those carriage fees coming in. Without cable and sat carriage fees those local affiliates are going to lose a lot of money. Not that I feel sorry for them.
Broadcasters want to get paid. Most want $ per subscriber when someone rebroadcasts their signal. Even if refusing to have their signal carried loses viewers, they would rather be paid. The networks are pushing their affiliates to get paid more and give the networks a bigger cut. Paths that lead to not getting paid (other than their required OTA transmission) are not what most stations want.
That's old, wrong thinking. People are leaving CATV and SAT every day. In part due to the high retransmission fees. Dish demonstrated that people will opt out. OTA broadcasting has lost a lot of spectrum to Cell and it may continue as their numbers decline. Any business that fights technology becomes a dinosaur.

·
Dad
6,618 Posts
Just because it's old, or wrong for users, doesn't make it wrong for the networks. They want to get paid. They don't want broadcasting without permission. It might not make a lot of business sense in 2021, but I don't pretend to completely understand the model. Like a lot of thing around broadcasting which many of their standards were created in first the radio era and later in the early TV era, th

I'm a Locast subscriber and got an email late yesterday where they will no longer include "nag" interruptions for non paid subscribers. The issue they've determined is that it no longer becomes a "donation" when you include these types of nags where you have to pay to get them removed. I can see the court's point. So now a donation becomes completely voluntary (as a donation should be). I will keep donating as I want Locast to succeed, but I no longer have to in order to watch TV uninterrupted.
Here's my point...I can buy an ATSC TV for $100+ and in my local market, receive the channels for free. But I can't do the same thing on my mobile phone because it doesn't have the ATSC chip in it? It comes in via LTE/5G vs ATSC RF so that makes a difference?

And yes I know Locast suspended operations. Too bad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.