DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every morning and every afternoon since 0xEF my HR20 has been locked up in the standby mode and will not respond to anything but a red-button reset. I may try a "factory reset" but I'd prefer not to have to. I use the off-button on the remote to turn off my TV and put the unit in standby whenever I'm done watching. Oh, and for those that think all issues are HDMI related, I'm using component cables.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I may try a "factory reset" but I'd prefer not to have to.
What the heck are you waiting for? I mean, come on - two resets a day, every day? Something is clearly not right. What have you got to lose but an hour or less of your time? Do it this morning before the recording day gets busy and see if it helps.

Remember, it's NOT supposed to be like this and for some of us, it's not.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
I've just started having lockups with version EB. One while watching live TV. The other trying to come out of overnight standby. Red reset on both.

I just reformatted, so will see if this helps.......

·
Legend
203 Posts
I have had 2 lockups in 12 hours. Had to cut power and reset on both. I have had my unit since mid sept and this is the first time this has happened.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
I don't like the idea of a reformat solution personally. Having to reformat a machine thats like 2 months old due to problems cuase by a software update is worse than buying a cheap PC. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it just seems so drastic. Especially if you have a lot of shows still recorded in your playlist and there is no way to backup the data (unlike a computer).

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
In my opinion, don't bother with the full reset. I have two boxes and both a locking up at least twice per day AFTER I did the full reset (with EF).

I'm beyond p*ssed.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Since my update to EF the last two mornings I have not been able to power on my receiver via remote or the power button. I hit reset but that didn't work so I unplugged and replugged, then hit reset and it worked. This morning it happened again, reset only worked after removing and replacing the Access card.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
I'm seeing a pattern here! I hope that our HR20 doesn't become a victim of this! If I could, I would GLADLY go back to the software it was running two versions ago!!!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
I am a member of the 0xef lockup club. My card has has 2 punches in it, both came within about 5 or 6 hours after ~ 3 days of running great.

·
Legend
159 Posts
btmoore said:
I am a member of the 0xef lockup club. My card has has 2 punches in it, both came within about 5 or 6 hours after ~ 3 days of running great.
The EF lockup club actually started with EB! I'm sad to hear that reformats have not worked for some people here, as it did fix my problem over a week ago and I've been fine since then. I hope D* is paying attention to this one, as it's about as egregious as the HR20 errors get.

Despite the failures of reformatting for some of the users here, if your system has basically become inoperable, as mine was, I highly recommend giving it a shot. It seems to have helped a lot of people.

·
Mentor
34 Posts

When you reformat, you erase all recording set ups. Earl has a sticky thread ("Autorecored......Stability") wherein he's investigating whether autorecording search requests are a culprit here.

Is it possible that you had some autorecording requests pending, had the lockups, reformatted and deleted the autorecording requests and then didn't re-enter any autorecording requests? If so, and autorequests are the culprit, perhaps that's why you have not had any further problems. And it may be why others who reformatted (and re-entered autorequests) have continued to have problems?

·
Legend
159 Posts
FKandt said:

When you reformat, you erase all recording set ups. Earl has a sticky thread ("Autorecored......Stability") wherein he's investigating whether autorecording search requests are a culprit here.

Is it possible that you had some autorecording requests pending, had the lockups, reformatted and deleted the autorecording requests and then didn't re-enter any autorecording requests? If so, and autorequests are the culprit, perhaps that's why you have not had any further problems. And it may be why others who reformatted (and re-entered autorequests) have continued to have problems?
Good theory. When I did have my lockups, I had about five autorecord lists set to go. I believe they were for the Howard Hawks, Orson Welles, a couple other directors and then a keyword search for Alcatraz. After the reset, I have only bothered to re-enter the Howard Hawks autorecord list. So yes, I still have a list programmed but no, I don't have as many or any keyword-based lists. For what it's worth, I had all those previous wishlists work without incident through two or three other versions of the software prior to EB being released. My lockups literally started within hours of EB downloading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.