DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who has a SWM 3 LNB on about 90'-100' RG-6 underground cable. He wants to move it to his shed another 585' away. Can this be done and what would I need other than RG-11 or other cable?

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,609 Posts
That’s crazy. Just mount another dish antenna on the shed being that far away.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,434 Posts
If it's one chunk of coax [600'], straight from LNBF to IRD, it should be RG-11 with pretty good chance to provide adequate signal/attenuation.
At 2.25GHz, the loss of RG6 is around 10dB/100' while the RG11 loss is about 8dB/100'. It would be a powerful signal indeed that could overcome a loss of 44dB.

Even if the signal could make it (and the chances are pretty slim beyond about 350'), the voltage drop may also be too great.

Such a solution is not economically sound.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,422 Posts
we are living in real world, your numbers are still just numbers, it's info for consideration;
try and tell;
Do test whole reel at spot and see real result, then we will talk!

·
Super Moderator
53,487 Posts
That could be an expensive test. Numbers help guide the decision as to whether such a test has the likelihood of succeeding. Assigning a number to "pretty good" is fair when far exceeding the specifications put forth by DIRECTV.

·
Registered
149 Posts
RG11 is about 1/2 the loss of RG6 so it can go twice the distance.

If you get a Hi Power DSWM30 and do not put any 8 way splitters in the line, it should work.

Quad Shield RG11 100% copper center conductor also helps improve signal loss.

They also sell a converter which will convert a Directv signal to fiber, but that part is like $2000 for the transmitter and receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts