DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add an HR-20 and switch my dish out to the 5 LNB Ka/Ku model. I currently have the 3 LNB dish mounted using a soffit mount (model SM-100, not sure who makes it). The installer came out today to do the work, but the new dish is significantly larger and much heavier and the mounting holes didn't line-up with those on the soffit mount. Even if the holes did line up I'm not sure the mount would stand up to the additional weight and wind load of the new dish. I ended up calling off the installation as I don't want a bunch of holes drilled into my roof to mount a satellite dish.

Has anyone come across a soffit mount similar in operation to the SM-100, but designed for the new 5 LNB dish?

Thanks!

- Shemp

· DBSTalk Club Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bobnielsen said:
The same supplier has a number of other mounting options. Perhaps one of these would work (the mounting plate may need to be drilled to match the base of the AT-9).
We did consider drilling new holes in the mounting plate of the soffit mount. However, the contact area of the AT-9 is much larger than that of the old dish (I suspect that is to deal with the additional load) and there just didn't seem to be a good place to drill new holes that wouldn't overlap existing holes on either the AT-9 or the mounting plate. I suspect any mount designed for the pre-AT-9 dishes would have similar issues.

Hopefully, someone will make an larger version of SM-100 designed for the larger dish.

Thanks!

- Shemp

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Shemp said:
We did consider drilling new holes in the mounting plate of the soffit mount. However, the contact area of the AT-9 is much larger than that of the old dish (I suspect that is to deal with the additional load) and there just didn't seem to be a good place to drill new holes that wouldn't overlap existing holes on either the AT-9 or the mounting plate. I suspect any mount designed for the pre-AT-9 dishes would have similar issues.

Hopefully, someone will make an larger version of SM-100 designed for the larger dish.

Thanks!

- Shemp
Maybe a thick plate could be fabricated with tapped holes for one on one side and for the other on the reverse side. Is the part which attaches to the soffit pretty sturdy? I couldn't tell much from the pictures.

· Hall Of Fame
1,340 Posts
Some Type 2 Dish Network 2 inch actual diameter poles use the same fot mounting hole pattern as the old 18 inch and Phase III DirecTV dishes. You might check with a local Dish Network dealer.

· DBSTalk Club Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bobnielsen said:
Maybe a thick plate could be fabricated with tapped holes for one on one side and for the other on the reverse side. Is the part which attaches to the soffit pretty sturdy? I couldn't tell much from the pictures.
I agree a new mounting flange could be fabricated and welded to the old one (attaching it with bolts may cause the bolt heads to interfere with the mounting base of the AT9). The soffit mount is pretty sturdy. However, I am not sure if it's strong enough to stand up to the torque/moment under stronger wind loads. I have no idea if it's strong enough, though. I think if I could find an "off-the-shelf" solution for attaching the AT9 to the soffit mount I'd give it a shot.

- Shemp

· DBSTalk Club Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike500 said:
Some Type 2 Dish Network 2 inch actual diameter poles use the same fot mounting hole pattern as the old 18 inch and Phase III DirecTV dishes. You might check with a local Dish Network dealer.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Are you thinking that I could possibly swap out the mounting base of the AT9 with that of a Type2 Dish Network dish? Would this cause any issues with the alignment process?

- Shemp

· DBSTalk Club Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blitz68 said:
Is it a good idea to mount the AT9 to a soffit? It is a big heavy dish... just food for thought.
That's a question I have as well. The soffit mount is pretty sturdy (installer commented that in his opinion the mount as solid as most of the surfaces he had installed AT9's to). However, the soffit mount (at least in my case) provided no options to add the additional braces.

I've read some posts about a new version of the 5 LNB dish. Anyone know if this will match up with the bolt-mounting pattern of a 3 LNB dish or is the mounting base the same as the "large" AT9?

- Shemp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.