DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bear with me as I have no knowledge whatsoever about DVD recorders.

I currently have a VIP722 hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI and hooked up to TV2 via coax.

In the past I have had a tivo and have always been able to transfer my recorded videos to my computer, edit them in nero, and then burn them to DVD.

I have read through the forums and think I have an idea of how to set up the DVD recorder to burn recorded movies, but am still somewhat confused.

If I have read correctly all of the outputs are active on the 722 simultaneously, so even if I have my HDMI output hooked up to my TV, I can also hook up a S-video cable and audio cables to the DVD recorder @ the same time. Is this correct??

One of my favorite features about transferring the movies from my Tivo to my computer was the ability to edit out commercials.

Is this possible with a standalone DVD recorder?? I know some have hard drives and some don't. Do I need one with a hard drive to be able to edit the movies??

I also have seen in some user manuals that if I use a DVD+/-RW that I can go back and edit cut out commercials after it is burned. Is this correct??

Sorry again for so many questions, just am trying to get this all figured out before I go and invest money in something that is not going to work how I want it to.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I can't claim to be an expert on your VIP but when it comes to DVD Recorders I've done a little homework.

First of all, the DVD recorder is something that never took off in this country. As a result, almost all the ones you'll find are from low-end manufacturers. You know, like Coby or Memorex. If you do even find one at a store, you're probably more likely to see them in Wal-Mart, Target or Kmart.

Unfortunately these low-end devices don't have much by way of features and while I had seen HDD-equipped DVD recorders in the past, I haven't seen one in a while.

Some DVD recorders used the DVD+VR format which did allow for some editing. You didn't actually gain space from cutting things out but you did get to cut commercials. I have a Lite-On DVD Recorder that allows me to do this. However, I've yet to run into a Blu-Ray player that supports DVD+VR. Most don't support any DVD+R at all, only DVD-R.

I like my DVD recorder a lot, I've had it about 4 years, but I'm slowly replacing my burned DVD+VRs with storebought DVDs if I can, and if I can't I rip the content to PC and reburn a DVD-R.

If you are serious about archiving, I would get a PC with a capture card and do the editing that way, then master to DVD-R.

· Cool Member
23 Posts
doogie21 said:

I currently have a VIP722 hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI and hooked up to TV2 via coax.

In the past I have had a tivo and have always been able to transfer my recorded videos to my computer, edit them in nero, and then burn them to DVD.

I have read through the forums and think I have an idea of how to set up the DVD recorder to burn recorded movies, but am still somewhat confused.

If I have read correctly all of the outputs are active on the 722 simultaneously, so even if I have my HDMI output hooked up to my TV, I can also hook up a S-video cable and audio cables to the DVD recorder @ the same time. Is this correct??

One of my favorite features about transferring the movies from my Tivo to my computer was the ability to edit out commercials.

Is this possible with a standalone DVD recorder?? I know some have hard drives and some don't. Do I need one with a hard drive to be able to edit the movies??

I also have seen in some user manuals that if I use a DVD+/-RW that I can go back and edit cut out commercials after it is burned. Is this correct??

Sorry again for so many questions, just am trying to get this all figured out before I go and invest money in something that is not going to work how I want it to.
I presently create DVD's of movies from a 722 or a 622 using a Sony RDR-GX330 recorder. The recorder does not have a hard drive. Use the auto tune function on the receiver and program your recorder to the same time.

By recording on DVD+/-RW, you can remove the commercials using the recorder. Taking the RW disc to your computer after you have removed the commercials, you can rerecord to a DVD-R and reuse your RW disc.

Good Luck

· AllStar
63 Posts
Farmer Dave said:
I presently create DVD's of movies from a 722 or a 622 using a Sony RDR-GX330 recorder. The recorder does not have a hard drive. Use the auto tune function on the receiver and program your recorder to the same time.

By recording on DVD+/-RW, you can remove the commercials using the recorder. Taking the RW disc to your computer after you have removed the commercials, you can rerecord to a DVD-R and reuse your RW disc.

Good Luck
That's exactly the process I use except I have a RDR-GX300 and my final burn on the computer is always to DVD+R. The thing that's nice about the Sony recorders is that the pause/restart is instantaneous - no spin up/down time - so it's easy to time the edits perfectly. That's not possible with some of the recorders I've seen.

· Godfather
274 Posts
doogie21 said:

I purchased a Panasonic dvd recorder (without a hd) about 1-1/2 yrs ago. The recorder does a nice job but does not allow editing out commercials. I have since changed to using a video capture card on my computer (connects to back of DVR with s-video and audio cables). The video capture card allows me to set a high capture rate (more than what will fit on a dvd(. I use Video redo TV suite to edit out the commercials and burn to dvd. Works very well and does not require huge investment ($60 for Hauppage HVR 1600 capture card and $80 for video redo suite) nor a high powered computer (I'm using a 5 yr old pentium 4 computer).

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IDRick said:
I purchased a Panasonic dvd recorder (without a hd) about 1-1/2 yrs ago. The recorder does a nice job but does not allow editing out commercials. I have since changed to using a video capture card on my computer (connects to back of DVR with s-video and audio cables). The video capture card allows me to set a high capture rate (more than what will fit on a dvd(. I use Video redo TV suite to edit out the commercials and burn to dvd. Works very well and does not require huge investment ($60 for Hauppage HVR 1600 capture card and $80 for video redo suite) nor a high powered computer (I'm using a 5 yr old pentium 4 computer).
Does it seem to slow down or mess up the laptop much when you burn videos to it and then delete them after burning your DVD?? I used my desktop for all of my DVD burning when I had my Tivo. It's not feasible for me to hook my desktop up to the sat. reciever as they are on the opposite ends of the house.

The reason I ask is my desktop is extremely slow after burning DVD's and has to be cleaned thoroughly to get it to operate normally again. My laptop is fairly new and is used mostly for work. I really would like to avoid slowing it down or messing it up @ all.

Has anyone captured video to one PC and then transferred the video to another networked computer?? Does this cause any file corruption problems?? I transfer files back and forth between PC's quite frequently, but have never transferred anything over 10 mb let alone 4-5 gb.

· Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
If you hurry you should be able to get a Philips 160Gb hard drive equipped DVD recorder at Walmart. The Manville NJ store had about 5 when I was there and the Watchung, NJ store had the older model. Some have reported getting the older models on close out really cheap. There are rumors that this will be the last year for Hard drive equipped models. Big message thread on the Philips 3575/3576 over on www.videohelp.com

I bought one of these. It isn't as intuitive to use as My Pioneer HDD equipped recorder is. However It does pick up all the QAM HD locals channels from my basic cable subscription and will record them as 480i. It has Component out.

I got it to have a second Hard drive recorder and to have one that could tune ATSC & QAM.
The reason DVD recorders and HDD equipped recorders especially have failed is not that they don't work, It is that they require you to read the manual.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.