DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really kept up much with any changes to the recievers. I have an r15 reciver being used with my new plasma. I'd like to upgrade to a HD recevier with recording capabilities like my HR20-700. Just wondering, are there any better units to invest in? I'll probably shop around online to get a previously owned one versus paying directv more moola. Any advice would be appreciated.

TY!

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Right now, D*’s own HR2x series is your only choice for an HD-DVR. All the various models are essentially the same, but the HR21 and HR22 lack the built-in OTA tuner of the HR20. The HR21 can accept the AM21 module for OTA capabilities, but the HR22 currently does not support the AM21 The HR22 does have a larger hard drive for about 80% more recording space

It’s doubtful that you can get a deal on a used one. D*’s new business models is that the receivers are owned by them and customers just “lease” them. The monthly lease fee is the same for all models (SD, HD, DVR or not) but you pay various up-front lease fees - $99 for an HD receiver, $199 for an HD-DVR. If you do find a personally owned HR2x for sale, it will likely sell for more than the $199 lease fee you’d pay to D*. Many “used” HR2x’s for sale on places like eBay and Craigslist are actually leased units. If you buy a leased unit, D will NOT activate it. They won’t come after you, but they basically treat it as stolen and they will attempt to charge the original subscriber for the non-returned equipment.

· Godfather
405 Posts
You are better off going through DirecTV to order a new unit for $199.00. It will include a new dish and full install. Your old dish will not work with all the new HD channels. If you find a init cheaper some where elsr you will then have to pay for a new dish and the intall.

· Legend
205 Posts
Clemsole said:
You are better off going through DirecTV to order a new unit for $199.00. It will include a new dish and full install. Your old dish will not work with all the new HD channels. If you find a init cheaper some where elsr you will then have to pay for a new dish and the intall.
Not true. I purchased an HR21-100 from Ebay, saved 50 bucks and had a new dish installed for free. Just call them up to be sure and they will set up an appointment for someone to come out and replace the dish.

· Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
groove93 said:
Not true. I purchased an HR21-100 from Ebay, saved 50 bucks and had a new dish installed for free. Just call them up to be sure and they will set up an appointment for someone to come out and replace the dish.
Buying a unit from EBay is hit or miss - you may find the unit you "purchased" is still registered as a leased unit to the original owner and you are pretty much out of luck on getting it activated.

· Legend
205 Posts
wingrider01 said:
Buying a unit from EBay is hit or miss - you may find the unit you "purchased" is still registered as a leased unit to the original owner and you are pretty much out of luck on getting it activated.
Mine was brand new and had no problems activating it. All contents within the box were sealed including the card that came along with it. Once I got the DVR I called in to have it activated, and they offered to upgrade to a 5lnb dish free of charge.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
groove93 said:
Mine was brand new and had no problems activating it. All contents within the box were sealed including the card that came along with it. Once I got the DVR I called in to have it activated, and they offered to upgrade to a 5lnb dish free of charge.
I'll be you purchased from an authorized D* reseller that happens to use eBay as an advertising medium. No one else would be allowed to sell it win an access card. And in this case, D* picked up the cost of installing a new dish in return for your agreement to a two-year service commitment. This is no different than if you had aquired it through BestBuy, Costco, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.