DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have 2 HR20-700's and an older SD DVR, looking to upgrade the SD to an HD but wondering if DirecTV is offering any deals to do this, or if anyone knows any tricks to get some free upgrades. I've been a customer since 1998 so thinking I should be able to get some kind of deal, any suggestions?

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
Mick said:
I already have 2 HR20-700's and an older SD DVR, looking to upgrade the SD to an HD but wondering if DirecTV is offering any deals to do this, or if anyone knows any tricks to get some free upgrades. I've been a customer since 1998 so thinking I should be able to get some kind of deal, any suggestions?
When I upgraded, I expanded from one to two DVRs, and put in MRV at the same time. That perhaps allowed me to get a very good deal.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, called and was told I am due for a free upgrade to a HD-DVR, but of course no way of knowing what model I'll get. Asked if I buy an HR24 myself will I get a credit, they said they've never heard of that and they never issue credits for a customer purchased receiver (even though I know people have done it).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,128 Posts
"Mick" said:
Ok, called and was told I am due for a free upgrade to a HD-DVR, but of course no way of knowing what model I'll get. Asked if I buy an HR24 myself will I get a credit, they said they've never heard of that and they never issue credits for a customer purchased receiver (even though I know people have done it).
Try calling again. In my opinion calling on a weekday is better because more of their calling centers are open. Many people have been able to get the credit. I guess it's just a fun round of CSR Roulette!

Kevin

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I've played the old CSR Roulette game before, just sucks that it has to be that way.

I think I'll just break down and buy a leased HR24, I've seen them for $169 online, and try my luck with a credit. Anyone else know any good tricks to tell the CSR's?

·
1*
10,289 Posts
"Mick" said:
Yes, I've played the old CSR Roulette game before, just sucks that it has to be that way.

I think I'll just break down and buy a leased HR24, I've seen them for $169 online, and try my luck with a credit. Anyone else know any good tricks to tell the CSR's?
Call up first to DirecTV and see what they will offer you for a DVR. Then explain how you would like to get a HR24 and see if they will give you a credit if you purchase from a retailer.

- Merg

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried that, CSR acted like I was insane. She said they never give credits like that. I called back and the next CSR hinted I should wait until feb 9 and I might get a HR34. We will see.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
I have had lots of Success calling Directv for Deals & Upgrades and I got 4 DVRs for $99 plus 2 Replaced for Free plus SWM/DECA/WHDVR Service for $75 so I am a Happy Camper also 2 SWM 8s for Free.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
Do you have MRV? If not, call and find out about adding that and see what they will then do with your SD DVR. The advantage to this is an installer has to come out for the MRV and your chances of getting the latest/greatest/new HD DVR increase.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
trh said:
Do you have MRV? If not, call and find out about adding that and see what they will then do with your SD DVR. The advantage to this is an installer has to come out for the MRV and your chances of getting the latest/greatest/new HD DVR increase.
When I upgraded, I expanded from one to two DVRs, and put in MRV at the same time. That perhaps allowed me to get a very good deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.