DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

· AllStar
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’ve had DTV for 20 years only for the Sunday Ticket package. Obviously I’m here to start researching YouTube TV.

I know pricing hasn’t been announced, but that’s not my concern. I’d like to cancel DTV after this football season and find a basic cable package with ESPN and a New York regional sports package (Mets, Islanders, Knicks).

Where is a good place to learn up on YouTube TV? I know about streaming services like Netflix, Peacock, and Amazon, even though I hate how they handle live programming.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Hi everyone. I’ve had DTV for 20 years only for the Sunday Ticket package. Obviously I’m here to start researching YouTube TV.

I know pricing hasn’t been announced, but that’s not my concern. I’d like to cancel DTV after this football season and find a basic cable package with ESPN and a New York regional sports package (Mets, Islanders, Knicks).

Where is a good place to learn up on YouTube TV? I know about streaming services like Netflix, Peacock, and Amazon, even though I hate how they handle live programming.
Youtube TV doesn't have RSN's. You may want to look at DirecTV Stream that does have RSN's.

· Mentor
589 Posts

Hello, Clark. You won't need a YouTube TV subscription. Sunday Ticket also be available as a standalone package through YouTube Channels (think the actual site, not the streaming service.) So if you don't want to leave DIRECTV satellite, it's not a requirement to have NFLST, moving forward.

Aside from that, several of the regulars in this section of the board are subscribers/have used YTTV, including myself. As @b4pjoe said, like several streaming providers, you're out of luck on New York RSNs, aside from DIRECTV Stream. But if you've got more specific questions, you can search more and likely find answers, or fire off some questions and someone will be able to assist.

Reactions: Herdfan

· AllStar
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I was kind of hoping to cut the cord and get rid of that huge monthly bill for a smaller one. As one person said, DTV is so behind with 4K programming. I guess I have to start looking around for more info.

210 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I was kind of hoping to cut the cord and get rid of that huge monthly bill for a smaller one. As one person said, DTV is so behind with 4K programming. I guess I have to start looking around for more info.
If you're not looking for Yankees games on YES, you could subscribe to YouTube TV for $64.99 during the basketball/hockey offseason and save about $30 a month compared to the price of DTV Stream. You would have the Mets on SNY along with MLB Network.

· AllStar
124 Posts
Can someone provide the 4K information for You Tube TV?
At least where to look for what channels they offer in 4K.
Seems like the DTV ship might have sailed for me after 25 years.
I've had YouTube TV since Summer 2022. YTTV only offers a few 4K channels for an additional premium price and 4K content is limited to a few college football games and soccer.

· Registered
2 Posts
That's odd to me. I switched myself and my parents homes to YTTV a few years ago and we've all commented on the good quality picture. Maybe Spectrum just had crappy video quality, but nearly everything is superior on YTTV than cable was for me, on multiple streaming devices.
The only thing I can say is that bandwidth isn't a problem, so that could play a role

5 Posts

DirecTV Stream is the only streaming that has RSN's. Or you can get a stand alone service through Bally @ $20 a month. DirecTV Stream has packages starting at $69.99 a month. Basically all the same channels you get on DirecTV Entertainment package without all the BS infomercial channels & music channels. Packages
You can watch it on multiple tvs without paying extra receiver fees. I had them 4 years ago, but left them for YouTube TV which is lower & offered more channels that I like with unlimited DVR.

· Hall Of Fame
1,548 Posts
I left DirecTV for YTTV July 2021 after being a customer for over 18 years. We absolutely love YTTV, I was also a ST subscriber every year, the kicker for me was I moved from my home state, where I lived all my life, my team was on local TV but I still had ST. In Sept. 2020 we moved to a different state where now I would need ST to watch them when not in National games. I still left DTV for multiple reasons. For the last 2 years I’ve been using the ST app using my parents acct, they got ST for free the last couple of years. You can try YTTV for free for 2 weeks, no strings attached, which is nice. The DVR is unlimited, and you can set multiple profiles (so each family member has their own DVR), I think up to 6? You can watch on any device, from a FireStick, smart tv, to your phone or tablet. Compared to the DTV app for streaming, in my experience where it was clunky at best, the YTTV app is always seamless. You can subscribe to the 4K add on and get unlimited streams, 4K content (just sports and maybe some VOD?) and ability to download and watch offline. I travel for work weekly, lots of flights, and I had always had issues with downloading DTV content to watch offline, I was an early adopter that had the standalone DirecTV GO device or whatever they called it. I carry a FireStick in my travel bag, I hook it up in hotels when I travel, no need to try and navigate crappy hotel TV and finding channels. It is much cheaper than DTV, and no need to call retention to work for credits. The only channels we don’t have that we’d like, A&E channels… but oh well, and I use a friend’s Philo account if I really want to watch A&E stuff. Advantages that I love are no additional TV fees per TV location, no dish on the house, no Genie/DVR/Client at each TV. I haven’t posted here in a long time as I left DTV, but you can message me if you have further questions. But use the 2 week trial, you’ll be surprised that it’s setup a lot like having traditional TV service.

I’ve been telling friends since the announcement on Thursday that I think 1/9/23 will be black Monday for DTV.

· DBSTalk Club Member
44 Posts
After 25+ years I'll be dumping DirecTV. I've grown tired of DirecTV but stayed because of Sunday Ticket.

I'm hoping YouTube will put together some sort of package deal with Sunday Ticket to get customers to switch.

· Registered
573 Posts
DirecTV Stream is the only streaming that has RSN's
Just saw that FUBU TV is adding Bally's if that helps?

YTTV doesn't have History channel plus lack of of RSNs is a no go. My biggest reason for not switching to a streaming service-unable to change channels easily or smoothly. Especially with sports, I will flip often.

· Godfather
994 Posts
Just installed YTTV today and so far... Coming from Spectrum. I find the guide hard to use the lack of ability (that I've found) to jump to specific station a pain. Maybe missing stuff so far but. As said missing some things such as History is an issue. We'll see

· Icon
1,574 Posts
Just installed YTTV today and so far... Coming from Spectrum. I find the guide hard to use the lack of ability (that I've found) to jump to specific station a pain. Maybe missing stuff so far but. As said missing some things such as History is an issue. We'll see
Setup a custom guide (you need to do it from a mobile device or browser) and put all your most watched channels at the top of the guide (and hide all the channels you never watch). When watching a live show click down on the d-pad a few times and their will be a row of tiles along the bottom (those tiles will be live if you are on a device that supports YTTV live tiles, like a ATV 4k). The first 4 tiles will be the last 4 stations you tuned to and the following tiles will be the rest of your channels sorted in your custom order.

· Godfather
405 Posts
Just saw that FUBU TV is adding Bally's if that helps?

YTTV doesn't have History channel plus lack of of RSNs is a no go. My biggest reason for not switching to a streaming service-unable to change channels easily or smoothly. Especially with sports, I will flip often.
Fubo is also lacking TNT, TBS and History. They may have the RSNs, but still have a major gap with the lack of TNT/TBS in my opinion.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for this info, I have also had DTV for 25 years. I want to switch but my rural internet is limited to 15 mbs. It's also DSL. Will I have a problem using any of the streaming options you mentioned? Thanks

· Registered
1,164 Posts
I've had DirecTV for almost 20 years, but I'm planning to switch to YTTV when Sunday Ticket leaves. The lack of RSNs will have only a minor effect for me since I follow an out-of-market MLB team. What I'm wondering is if it's better to subscribe to MLB.TV directly or through the YouTube TV add-on. From what I've read, the games can be DVR'd with the YTTV app, but I'm wondering if I would also be able to watch on the MLB At Bat App. Does anyone know?

· Cool Member
38 Posts
I've had DirecTV for almost 20 years, but I'm planning to switch to YTTV when Sunday Ticket leaves. The lack of RSNs will have only a minor effect for me since I follow an out-of-market MLB team. What I'm wondering is if it's better to subscribe to MLB.TV directly or through the YouTube TV add-on. From what I've read, the games can be DVR'd with the YTTV app, but I'm wondering if I would also be able to watch on the MLB At Bat App. Does anyone know?
Yes you can link your mlb.tv subscription from YouTube tv with the mlb.tv app

MLB.TV Out-Of-Market Packages

1 - 20 of 114 Posts