DBSTalk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

· Registered
6,568 Posts
Same buttons as a Roku. So not an upgrade.

I think something is messed up with their ad. It says:

"Available in 4K, and now, HD." Shouldn't that be the other way around?

The first run DVR could be done in software if they wanted.
So why don't they want to? What is in if for them to not do it?

Remember back in the day we questioned almost everything DirecTV did. Why don't they want us to have DLB or why is there a 50 item limit on Series Links? YTTV should be no different.

If DirecTV Stream could offer the same channels and interface as the current STB at a similar price to YTTV, it would be a no brainer.

· Icon
1,574 Posts
If Youtube really wants to make their service the best, they need to come up with their own streaming box and make it more like people are used to with Satellite or Cable.
As long as it's an option that's fine. Many folks, myself included, aren't interested in a duplication of the traditional cable/sat UX. Could the current YTTV UI be improved, absolutely, but the last thing I would want are things like channel numbers which I would never use (haven't used them for years even back when I had D) and would just muck up the guide. I always recomend that if folks are looking for a service that duplicates the UX of traditional cable/sat then YTTV isn't really for them. Instead they should go with something like DirecTV Stream which is designed to be as close to the traditional cable/sat UX as possible. Just because they now have ST hopefully YTTV will not force the old cable/sat UX on the rest of us.

· Registered
6,568 Posts
Just because they now have ST hopefully YTTV will not force the old cable/sat UX on the rest of us.
It could easily exist along side of whatever app you like. For example, the Roku app will probably never have channel numbers because there are no numerical buttons on the remote.

But imagine a different streaming box with its own app that did. Of course YTTV would have to write an app for that, but it could easily be done and each person could then select which app they wanted to use.

· Godfather
994 Posts
To answer from a few posts ago: I am using both a smart Samsung TV and a Roku. I'm sure part of the issues is due to the controllers really not having many buttons so. I know I can re-organize the guide and remove stations from viewing. But what I'd like it to be able to go from one to not the next one but another one quickly without having to go through button pressing every step - the old way - I was on channel 7 on the guide and wanted to go to 300 all I did was enter 300. Also would be nice to 1 button to go from live to library rather than back etc. I know I'm still learning but
Also having sound issues on both devices with sound not syncing with picture.
Not sure saving a few bucks is worth the current irritation.
I"m sure things will get better but I hope soon.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
To answer from a few posts ago: I am using both a smart Samsung TV and a Roku. I'm sure part of the issues is due to the controllers really not having many buttons so. I know I can re-organize the guide and remove stations from viewing. But what I'd like it to be able to go from one to not the next one but another one quickly without having to go through button pressing every step - the old way - I was on channel 7 on the guide and wanted to go to 300 all I did was enter 300. Also would be nice to 1 button to go from live to library rather than back etc. I know I'm still learning but
Also having sound issues on both devices with sound not syncing with picture.
Not sure saving a few bucks is worth the current irritation.
I"m sure things will get better but I hope soon.
It's more expensive but you would probably be happier using DirecTV Stream with their custom Android TV streaming box, which comes with a full-fledged cable-style remote. You can buy those devices refurbished, with full warranty, from them for $50 each when you sign up. In addition to DTV Stream (which is baked into the main home screen), it also runs all the major apps (Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, HBO Max, Paramount+, etc.), except the Apple TV app.

· AllStar
104 Posts
I did a free trial about a year or so ago and had setup several recordings that it seems were still recording over that time frame. Last week they offered a free 20 minute trial on that account. I logged in and was able to remove everything in the library using the Firefox web browser on my Mac computer.
It's kind of weird. You can definitely remove shows from your Library. That just stops it from recording more episodes. Any recordings it already made will stay for 9 months. I don't really understand the logic of it working like that.

· Mentor
589 Posts
It's more expensive but you would probably be happier using DirecTV Stream with their custom Android TV streaming box, which comes with a full-fledged cable-style remote. You can buy those devices refurbished, with full warranty, from them for $50 each when you sign up. In addition to DTV Stream (which is baked into the main home screen), it also runs all the major apps (Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, HBO Max, Paramount+, etc.), except the Apple TV app.
I think this is something worth mentioning, as we're starting to encounter new people in our section of the forums. (Also, hello to those newcomers! We don't argue as much as some do in the other boards, and there's free punch and pie.) I don't have a ton of experience with DIRECTV Stream, maybe a handful of use cases. But experiencing it through different devices, the most opportune experience is through the proprietary streaming box. It's just not as entirely user friendly on other devices, or Smart TV apps. Same goes for YTTV. It just feels a little smoother through my Apple TV device, in comparison to a lower end Roku Express. (Full disclosure: I haven't tried it on a higher-end Roku Ultra.)

In short, streaming isn't an across-the-board experience, based solely on platform. Your hardware makes a difference in this realm. And like macaroni and cheese, or toilet paper, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: the2130 and NashGuy

· Godfather
868 Posts
So why don't they want to? What is in if for them to not do it?
The other thing that they do is record the show from any channel, including syndicated reruns.

The only reason that I can think of is that this puts as complete a collection of episodes of a show into your library as quickly as possible, in case you were interested.

Since DVR capacity is unlimited, there really isn’t a reason not to build an exhaustive library, unlike a physical DVR. It’s more a housekeeping issue for finding most recent unwatched episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,568 Posts
The other thing that they do is record the show from any channel, including syndicated reruns.

The only reason that I can think of is that this puts as complete a collection of episodes of a show into your library as quickly as possible, in case you were interested.

Since DVR capacity is unlimited, there really isn’t a reason not to build an exhaustive library, unlike a physical DVR. It’s more a housekeeping issue for finding most recent unwatched episodes.
But shouldn't that be MY preference?

For some shows I am caught up and have no need for early seasons in syndication to clog up my Library. Other shows I might want that. I should be able to decide. Or at the very least, delete them off.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
But shouldn't that be MY preference?
Yes. It should be. One should be able to select "new" and only get episodes aired on their release dates (as opposed to "new and reruns" which is all shows regardless of air release dates).

Choosing the source channel is also important. Especially if you have a source channel that edits programs or has an annoying on screen bug. Less important if all channels offer the same high quality version of the program without glitches. But still a choice that I, as the person paying for the content, would like to make. I have had that problem in the past when I set an "any channel" timer and the service chose a channel with lower quality to record (then skipped recording the content on another channel).

Is it a showstopper that would prevent one from subscribing to the service? Maybe. If there were two services of similar price and one had the "new only" and "select source" options and the other did not? Guess which one I would choose. :)

· Registered
6,568 Posts
Choosing the source channel is also important. Especially if you have a source channel that edits programs or has an annoying on screen bug. Less important if all channels offer the same high quality version of the program without glitches. But still a choice that I, as the person paying for the content, would like to make. I have had that problem in the past when I set an "any channel" timer and the service chose a channel with lower quality to record (then skipped recording the content on another channel).
I watch PTI on ESPN every night. I prefer the version on ESPN at 5:30 for 2 reasons. First, it is full screen unlike the versions that reair on ESPNews. Second, I can add 1H to the recording so if they do their short Sportscenter segment, I get it too. I did just have an "Any Channel" series setup, but it was a crap shoot as to what I get. So I changed it to Record on 3 channels, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNews: 2 and News are set to keep 1 recording and ESPN is set to keep 5 in case I am out of town for some reason, I can go back and watch. This works best for me.

YTTV will keep them all, but it is not as easy to figure out which one I want and I can't add the extra hour to the ESPN one.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I watch PTI on ESPN every night. I prefer the version on ESPN at 5:30 for 2 reasons. First, it is full screen unlike the versions that reair on ESPNews. Second, I can add 1H to the recording so if they do their short Sportscenter segment, I get it too. I did just have an "Any Channel" series setup, but it was a crap shoot as to what I get. So I changed it to Record on 3 channels, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNews: 2 and News are set to keep 1 recording and ESPN is set to keep 5 in case I am out of town for some reason, I can go back and watch. This works best for me.

YTTV will keep them all, but it is not as easy to figure out which one I want and I can't add the extra hour to the ESPN one.
Does YTTV let you set recordings to start early and/or add extra time at the end?

· Godfather
868 Posts
Does YTTV let you set recordings to start early and/or add extra time at the end?
It’s under their control. From their web site:

• Sports recordings will generally be extended 30 minutes beyond the scheduled end time in case games run long. YouTube TV may also detect the specific end time of a game and extend the recording to that point.
  • All other recordings will be extended 1 minute past the scheduled end time in case programs run long.

I didn’t record any of the World Cup games, but I’d be curious about recordings of games that went to kicks from the penalty mark. Those games would have lasted about an hour longer than scheduled, and ones that are popular enough that they should have monitored the end time. But, who know how closely they monitor end times for lesser games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 Posts
A sale price is always nice, but I prefer not missing the first 6 weeks of the season. And from what I've read, the preseason games are also available to stream on YTTV, unlike DirecTV with MLBEI.
If you’re a T-Mobile customer they run a “T-Mobile Tuesdays” promotion in the spring prior to the start of the season which is free!

· Registered
2,333 Posts
I've only had YTTV for two days, but I think removing an item from your library by unchecking it will have the same effect as deleting it.
Unchecking a series will prevent YTTV from recording any episodes airing in the future. But whatever recordings already exist in your library will remain there until they are 9 months old, at which point they automatically expire and leave your library.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Unchecking a series will prevent YTTV from recording any episodes airing in the future. But whatever recordings already exist in your library will remain there until they are 9 months old, at which point they automatically expire and leave your library.
Thanks, it's going to be an adjustment for those of us making the switch. I rearranged the channels in the guide to put the local stations at the top of the list, followed by the channels we watch the most. I need to make sure my wife is happy with YTTV, so I put the Hallmark channels right after the locals, and I moved the Frndly TV app next to YTTV on the Roku main screen. We still have DirecTV until the end of the month, but I think I'm going to like YTTV.

· Registered
6,568 Posts
I discovered a huge issue with YTTV. When you watch part of a recorded program and then exit. When you return, it starts over at the beginning and not where you stopped.

Do they really think that is a good idea?

61 - 80 of 114 Posts