DBSTalk Forum banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

· Mentor
589 Posts
I discovered a huge issue with YTTV. When you watch part of a recorded program and then exit. When you return, it starts over at the beginning and not where you stopped.

Do they really think that is a good idea?
Can you describe the path you took (device, clicks) to make that happen? My wife watches a lot of her Real Housewives franchises on DVR and never runs into this problem. I just tried it with an episode of Jeopardy and didn't encounter your issue, either.

· Registered
6,568 Posts
Can you describe the path you took (device, clicks) to make that happen? My wife watches a lot of her Real Housewives franchises on DVR and never runs into this problem. I just tried it with an episode of Jeopardy and didn't encounter your issue, either.
Interesting!

I am using a Roku Ultra. The show I noticed it on is Highway thru Hell. I like to spread my viewing out over a few days. So I will watch 2 segments one day and 2 more another etc.

So let's say I am watching it and ready to stop. I will usually hit the back button and go to Live TV. When I go back to watch it again, it starts over at the beginning. I am not given an option to continue where I left off.

· Icon
1,574 Posts
Interesting!

I am using a Roku Ultra. The show I noticed it on is Highway thru Hell. I like to spread my viewing out over a few days. So I will watch 2 segments one day and 2 more another etc.

So let's say I am watching it and ready to stop. I will usually hit the back button and go to Live TV. When I go back to watch it again, it starts over at the beginning. I am not given an option to continue where I left off.
Hit pause first.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Is there a way to stop a program from playing and go back to the guide other than pausing it? If I don't pause the program when I'm watching on TV, it keeps playing in the background when I go back to the menu. If I pause it, it shows as "playing" in the "Resume Watching" section. And on my Android tablet, the program shrinks to a thumbnail whether it is paused or still playing and I don't see any way to make it disappear other than closing and reopening the app.

· Mentor
589 Posts
Is there a way to stop a program from playing and go back to the guide other than pausing it? If I don't pause the program when I'm watching on TV, it keeps playing in the background when I go back to the menu. If I pause it, it shows as "playing" in the "Resume Watching" section. And on my Android tablet, the program shrinks to a thumbnail whether it is paused or still playing and I don't see any way to make it disappear other than closing and reopening the app.
I'm hoping I'm able to best answer part of your question. On the Android tablet question, if it's shrunk down to a thumbnail (presuming it's placing itself in the lower right corner?), you should be able to just right swipe on it and it will leave the screen. I'm not sure if there's a means to successfully answer the first part? I think you have to pause it, if you don't want it to play in the background while you're browsing the guide.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm hoping I'm able to best answer part of your question. On the Android tablet question, if it's shrunk down to a thumbnail (presuming it's placing itself in the lower right corner?), you should be able to just right swipe on it and it will leave the screen. I'm not sure if there's a means to successfully answer the first part? I think you have to pause it, if you don't want it to play in the background while you're browsing the guide.
Thanks, a right swipe does make the thumbnail go away on my tablet. It's great to be able to watch my DVR recordings on any device. Also, not having to keep tabs on available disk space is nice.

· Godfather
994 Posts
On my smart Samsung TV - I have that issue with recorded movies - I get out - turn off and when I go back to movie it starts from beginning. Also I have found if I'm watching a live TV episode and turn it all off - hours later when I turn it back on it starts back where I left it - even if an 1/2 program - then it keeps going from hours ago live tv
Weird

· Godfather
868 Posts
On my smart Samsung TV - I have that issue with recorded movies - I get out - turn off and when I go back to movie it starts from beginning. Also I have found if I'm watching a live TV episode and turn it all off - hours later when I turn it back on it starts back where I left it - even if an 1/2 program - then it keeps going from hours ago live tv
Weird
For live TV shows, it assumes you want to pick up where you left when you turn the TV off. It’s odd, but makes some sense in that you can finish what you start.

It’s just as odd that isn’t true for recordings, too. Most services keep track of where you are in a movie/episode and give to a way to start where you stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,568 Posts
According to a Reddit thread, you have to have the Watch History enabled. I did not because the description indicated it would help find shows I might want to watch. And I have hated that type of function since the early days of TiVo.

It did not work for a previously recorded show, but it was also off when the show recorded. I have a couple of shows scheduled for this evening so I will give that a try later.

· Hall Of Fame
4,734 Posts
20+ year D* subscriber. I’ve auditioned YTTV and Hulu live and prefer YTTV. They carry NBC Sports Philadelphia, but I read somewhere that Comcast is moving them to Peacock.

YTTV won for me. Better PQ than D*. Usability is a different paradigm but we’ll get used to it.

I’ll be very happy to be free of ATT, who killed D*.

I’ll be dumping D* soon. .

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
It would be nice if you could ask Siri or the other assistants, Roku, Alexa, etc, to go to whatever channel you wanted, “change to ESPN”.
Alexa and Google Assistant both claim to work with the YouTube app. The level of support varies by device.

· Mentor
589 Posts
The 4K Plan discounts vary from customer to customer. My offer is $6.99/mo., for 24 months. Some may not be offered it, at all.

Reactions: sd72667

· Cool Member
46 Posts
I am seeing the 4.99 offer, but still hard to justify looking at the content. Other than sports its just Discover kind of content, and the only sports seems to be some Fox NFL which is better than 720p but not true 4K as far as I understand. Now if ESPN picked up Sky's 4K F1 coverage, I'd be there in an instant :)

Is there much more 4K I am missing (and I don't watch basketball or soccer)

· Registered
197 Posts
I am seeing the 4.99 offer, but still hard to justify looking at the content. Other than sports its just Discover kind of content, and the only sports seems to be some Fox NFL which is better than 720p but not true 4K as far as I understand. Now if ESPN picked up Sky's 4K F1 coverage, I'd be there in an instant :)

Is there much more 4K I am missing (and I don't watch basketball or soccer)
YTTV also gets the 4K content from ESPN, so if that F1 coverage is in 4K and ESPN offers it, then you will get it.

ESPN also has some College Basketball and Football in 4K, I believe some NBA games also, not sure.

The biggest plus is unlimited streams, so if you need more then 3 TVs getting Live TV, then it is worth it.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts