DBSTalk Forum banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

· Cool Member/Supporter
344 Posts
I downloaded the YTTV app to my phone, iPad, Roku sticks and Apple TV boxes this morning and so far so good. Setup wasn't terrible, and picture quality is excellent.
I have a 5 day free trial, and assuming there are no showstoppers, I'll pull the plug on DirecTV next week.
When all the promos' discounts, etc. expire I'll be paying about $107/month (I got the 4K and unlimited streams and HBO).
With DirecTV I'm at $238/month with no discounts.

· AllStar
124 Posts
I've now had YTTV for 6+ months using 4k Firestick Max (Former DirecTV Sub) Like I said before, the guide is not user friendly. You can't scroll channels with the Firestick remote and if the channel you want is at the bottom of your guide, it takes a lot of scrolling to finally get to it... and then if you back out to the guide, it will reset back to the top of the guide. One thing I stumbled on yesterday, my new Sony Bravia OLED remote can also control my Firestick (not exciting). But the Sony Remote channel up/down button actually allows you to scroll YTTV channels without accessing the guide or home screen. Sadly the Firestick remote has no channel up/down buttons. But still no fix for the lack of guide surfing.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any way to turn off the autoplay on YTTV. Other than that, I've been happy with it since I signed up 4 days ago. My DirecTV service is still active until the end of the month, but I stopped using it as soon as I signed up for YTTV. So far I don't feel like I'm missing anything, and $65/month seems like a bargain compared to what I've been paying DirecTV. Picture quality is excellent, DVR functionality works well, and it's great to be able to watch DVR'd programming on any of my devices.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
I've now had YTTV for 6+ months using 4k Firestick Max (Former DirecTV Sub) Like I said before, the guide is not user friendly. You can't scroll channels with the Firestick remote and if the channel you want is at the bottom of your guide, it takes a lot of scrolling to finally get to it... and then if you back out to the guide, it will reset back to the top of the guide. One thing I stumbled on yesterday, my new Sony Bravia OLED remote can also control my Firestick (not exciting). But the Sony Remote channel up/down button actually allows you to scroll YTTV channels without accessing the guide or home screen. Sadly the Firestick remote has no channel up/down buttons. But still no fix for the lack of guide surfing.
If you use YTTV in a web browser and go into settings, you can customize the grid guide by re-ordering the channels any way you like, putting the channels you watch most at the top and least at the bottom. This helps reduce the amount of scrolling you need to do in the live guide.

· AllStar
124 Posts
If you use YTTV in a web browser and go into settings, you can customize the grid guide by re-ordering the channels any way you like, putting the channels you watch most at the top and least at the bottom. This helps reduce the amount of scrolling you need to do in the live guide.
Yep thanks, I created a custom list when I subscribed. That's like putting a band-aid on a severed finger and not a fix for their pain in the ass guide. Hopefully YTTV will roll out some s/w updates soon that resembles the DirecTV and/or cable box guides.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
Hopefully YTTV will roll out some s/w updates soon that resembles the DirecTV and/or cable box guides.
Well, as the recent post here shows, they're rolling out redesigned UIs for the Live guide and the Library. The Live UI has already rolled out to a lot of users, including my family. I like it better but it doesn't fix all the problems you have with it.

Haven't received the new Library UI yet. Remains to be seen if it works better in practice.

Bottom line, IMO, is that if a traditional cable-like UI is really important to you, you'll be better served by switching to DirecTV Stream (and probably also paying more too).

· Registered
6,568 Posts
you'll be better served by switching to DirecTV Stream (and probably also paying more too).
And getting less.

It seems like all these streaming services and hardware mfg's only care about what how younger generations like to interact with devices. Us older folks like buttons. My mom got a new MB and she kept it like 3 months and traded it in on a lower model because she could not work the radio with their stick. Went back to hard buttons.

· Registered
197 Posts
Every new service you go to requires learning, in the last 15 years, I have had Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, Playstation Vue, YTTV, Spectrum and back to YTTV.

Each time, we had to learn the ins and outs of the new service, after a couple of weeks, not a big deal.

Now, YTTV is only $65, still too much in my opinion based on the fact that most of the programming is reruns, but for that $65, we get 1080P picture, Dolby Digital+ sound, 3 Streams, unlimited DVR, pretty easy. to use.

Now compare that to all the other services, programming is still the same, reruns, but at a much higher cost.

It is worth getting used to it for the price, again give it 2 weeks, you won’t even notice anymore what you are complaining about now.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
The channels DTV and DTV Stream has that I like that YoutubeTV doesn't have is History, Science, Reelz, METV, H&I and FETV. I wonder why they haven't been adding channels? If they added those, I wonder how much the price would go up? Unless after buying NFL Sunday Ticket they can't afford to add any more channels? :)

· Registered
1,165 Posts
The channels DTV and DTV Stream has that I like that YoutubeTV doesn't have is History, Science, Reelz, METV, H&I and FETV. I wonder why they haven't been adding channels? If they added those, I wonder how much the price would go up? Unless after buying NFL Sunday Ticket they can't afford to add any more channels? :)
Frndly TV has History, MeTV, and a bunch of others. I'm subscribing to it because my wife watches the GAC Family channel, which isn't available on YTTV.

· Legend
125 Posts
If you primarily find shows by browsing the guide, customizing the guide is a great feature. I use it. The channels we are most likely to find something interesting on are at the top. You could also use YouTube TV’s ‘most watched’ setting, but it doesn’t organize, or allow you to organize channels you rarely watch.

If you mostly browse the guide for shows, you won’t miss channel numbers. Channel numbers are great if you know exactly what you want to go straight to a channel… tune in Fox News, History Channel, or a specific local channel. That’s how my in-laws watch. They go to the guide as a last resort.

Channel numbers force an order on the guide. I remember old discussions in DirecTV forums about channel placement in the guide, why and how, and grouping. People were often confused by the ordering. Everyone had an idea about how it could be done better, all different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I switched from D* (after 18+ years) to YTTV last week.

We watch mostly recorded and on-demand content (via various streaming platforms), so having a robust Live Guide is not a priority. Besides, I don't like channel surfing :). We primarily use YTTV 'Home' tab as it aggregates frequently watched channels, recorded shows (Library), and 'Top Picks'. Yes, there is a learning curve, but it was the same when D* was rolling out 'improvements' over the years.

Reactions: the2130

· AllStar
124 Posts
Frndly TV has History, MeTV, and a bunch of others. I'm subscribing to it because my wife watches the GAC Family channel, which isn't available on YTTV.
Besides YTTV, I also subscribed to FRNDLY TV after dumping DirecTV last year. I like FETV and Gunsmoke on INSP, but neither are on YTTV. I think FRNDLY is mostly garbage channels besides METV, H&I, Decades, GET TV, INSP, History and FETV. FRNDLY's DVR Cloud is actually easy to use.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts