DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a returning D* customer and just had two R-15-100's installed. (Comcast finally ticked me off.) Since I have my internet through Comcast the installer put a combiner/splitter pair on one of the dish feeds to bring the cable and dish feed into the house on one coax. I was having a lot of drops on the cable modem so I decided to just drill another hole and let the cable drop be separate from the sat feeds. One thing I noticed was the dual grounding block at the sat/cable entrance was warm! I did this yesterday and verified that all transponders for both tuners on both R-15's were working as well as the cable.

After watching something this morning I had recorded I tried to surf some channels and got several searching for satellites. A check of the transponders showed all the even ones on both tuners and R-15's were 0. This evening I dug out some F barrel connectors and bypassed the multi-switch to one R-15 and everything worked fine.

The multi-switch is an Aspen DTV3x4.

Knowing full well that D* and their installers may be the proper way to look at this, any thoughts on what else I could look at.

Otherwise I and the family are happy with the service so far though I notice the compression is higher than it was in the past.

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
wait so the installer split one of the feeds coming into the house before the multiswitch or after....the 3x4 multiswitch you have should have an ant in port between the 13v and 18v ports...

the cable feed should go there... im pretty sure ur not supposed to combine cable and satellite before a multiswitch...there should also be a diplexer *not a 2 way splitter the separate the single line into a cable and satellite line

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
and even/odd only transponder issue could indicate that one of the lines from the dish/ground block has shorted out...check to see that there are no staples penetrating the coax and that that all fittings on the coax have nothing on the copper portion touching the metal shield jacket...

·
Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They used diplexers to combine and separate the cable and sat signals on to one coax before the multi-switch. Their out now and sitting right in front of me. The Comcast feed is only going to the cable modem and one TV which does not get satellite. I'll look at the fittings and see if the grounding block is still warm more closely tomorrow after the kids go crazy :eek2: and church. Right now the dish is only going to one R-15 and that is working fine.

Should both coaxes coming down from the dish go through the grounding blocK? I haven't gone on the roof to look at the antenna yet. It was already there but the plastic radome came off the LNB and testing with my old D* box showed it didn't work. They should have replaced the LNB.

This could easily be infant mortality on the multi-switch.

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
both coaxes should be grounded...but it *would* work fine if it wasnt....until there is a short....they are supposed to use dual rg-6 which has a built in ground wire that needs to be grounded to the dish on one end and the other end gets hooked up to the ground block, then from the ground block there should be a ground wire going to the common ground of the house....

if you have the protection plan just get a service call scheduled....if not complain...there should be no problems in the first 30 days of the installation....you could always buy a 3x4 on ebay...

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Ahem. You don't pay for a service call within 90 days of the install. And, when you get a service call _IT_ has a 90 day warranty. So call Directv and explain your situation!

·
6 Posts
Yeah sometimes diplexing cable internet works and sometimes it doesn't, especially if the cable comp. has a very weak signal. Take advantage of the 90 day warranty and have them bypass them cable modum line.

·
Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well. good news! I looked at the grounding block and the coax from the roof that was reused had slightly corroded F-connectors. The service panel/box Comcast installed years ago isn't even close to being weather proof. Dis-similar metals could also have been the cause. I cleaned them up a bit, reseated them a few times and both IRD's are working through the switch. The corrosion explains why things got warm which is better than a short.

·
Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
underpaidinstaller said:
glad i could help! remember to use rubber between fittings and tighten fittings with a 7/16 wrench
I'll do that in the morning. Its raining now and I need to squeeze behind a tree and some shrubs plus I just had to finish watching the Eagles game :D . I think I have some OxGuard (like Penetrox) to help seal and protect the threads.

Thanks for help and ideas!

Are there any details on the web of how a multi-switch works? I looked briefly but didn't find any.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.