DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Legend
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a newer receiver and probably wasnt the same design team, but everytime I look at it I cant help but think I like the look of my R15 so much better.

Obviously the HR has more features, but the R15 looks sleaker to me and the blue LED ring is much cleaner looking. I just feel like the HR20 looks cheap.

Dont even know if this belongs in this forum but had to vent a bit.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
I think the HR20 looks just fine sitting next to my HR10-250. I just wish the LEDs were not so bright .... Even though you can dim the Ring LEDs, they're still rather bright at their dimmest setting, and the record, Power and Format LEDs are very bright all the time.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
litzdog911 said:
I think the HR20 looks just fine sitting next to my HR10-250. I just wish the LEDs were not so bright .... Even though you can dim the Ring LEDs, they're still rather bright at their dimmest setting, and the record, Power and Format LEDs are very bright all the time.
A friend of mine almost always covers equipment LEDs with a small piece of white medical tape. If cut carefully, it can be hard to tell that it's there, and it provides just enough diffusion for the ultra-bright LEDs to make it tolerable in a darkened room, but still have the functionality.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Turn them off :p

·
1960'S NOSTALGIA
213 Posts
Staszek said:
I know its a newer receiver and probably wasnt the same design team, but everytime I look at it I cant help but think I like the look of my R15 so much better.

Obviously the HR has more features, but the R15 looks sleaker to me and the blue LED ring is much cleaner looking. I just feel like the HR20 looks cheap.

Dont even know if this belongs in this forum but had to vent a bit.
Just push back and forth on the 2 sides of the BLUE RING about 4 to 6
times and this will cause the CIRCLE OF BLUE LIGHTS to go out...when it comes on again, you know you have automatically received a new update....

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I've said it before, but the blue LEDs on the HR20 match perfectly with the glowing blue disc loading slot on my Nintendo Wii :D

·
Legend
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noooo you got me wrong I like the blue LEDs what I am saying is the blue LED's on my R15 look much cleaner and cooler then the ones on my HR20. The ring on the R25 is a nice complete circle and looks cooler when its spinning.

I have dimmed them a little I hate how bright the record is too on the HR20 vs the R15.

Attachments

·
AllStar
75 Posts
I've never seen the R15 in person, but the HR20 is better looking then most STB's I've had.

From the pictures you posted they look relatively close in aesthetic appeal. How do the sizes compare? That could make a difference.

·
Legend
192 Posts
litzdog911 said:
I agree with this. I have the ring of LED's on the full off position and I've had to resort to putting the HR20 into standby when not using it (luckily I have a Harmony remote to do it for me) because the LED's are still too bright. I like the blue color, but if they were dimmer and the yellow LED was not so bright either that would be nice. Of course there are a lot of other things I'd rather have fixed before they get to this :)

·
Legend
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Skarzon said:
I've never seen the R15 in person, but the HR20 is better looking then most STB's I've had.

From the pictures you posted they look relatively close in aesthetic appeal. How do the sizes compare? That could make a difference.
Size wise they are almost exactly the same, the R15 is slightly tall (1/4-1/2 inch) but also its less wide.

I guess its hard to tell from the pics but the construction of the R15 seems more highend stereo and less toyish to me then the HR20, the leds look much cleaner when lite the R15 looks like a continuos circle where the HR20 looks like strung together leds. The buttons are of a higher quality etc.

Dont get me wrong the HR20 is a huge step above the HR10 and the D10-D11, but I think they had a clean look with the R15 that they could have stayed with.

Hope these pics help describe what I am talking about with the LEDs, and the R15 does the forward and reverse circles the same as the HR20 when using the transport keys

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.