DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Godfather
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the tail end of tropical storm Beryl we had almost 8 straight hours of violent storms. One lightning strike was like close...very close. Lost power right after the strike for a few hours. That day I had no signal on my tv, discovered I had lost HDMI 1 port. All items in surge protector except power inserter for deca, and a collar on the electric meter. Directv's dish is grounded to specifications also. Where did the surge come from? Looks as Directv is going to pay for my tv's mainboard replacement and they have been very good to me through the damage claims process. I do only have the standard protection plan and insist the surge came through their receiver. The HR'24 is ok at this time.

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Had the same thing happen last year to one of my Vizio TV's. Took out Port 1, same thing happened again on Sunday and took out Port 2. I know my system is correctly installed and grounded.

Guy from phone company was out yesterday repairing internet and I mentioned it, he has heard of it happening numerous times with both cable and satellite.

·
Legend
168 Posts
That sound's more like you took a strike to your local utility line or power transformer and the surge came in on your power system. That would account for the surge protector and the power meter ring (must have been a good hit!!). If that's the case, your surge protector wouldn't have stopped all of it and the current would propagate through your equipment to the nearest ground path including your satellite system (which is grounded).

Bottom line - not Directv's fault. You're lucky it didn't do more damage all over your house from the description you gave. The HDMI ports on most devices aren't that well protected to begin with (static discharge has been known to destroy them), so it's not at all surprising the one connected, failed. In the future, it would be a good idea to pop out the HDMI connection when you have this type of storm. Won't protect much but it will save your ports.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.