DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we had some nice wind in my area today and it knocked out the satellite signal for pretty much the whole day. The wind has sense stopped and the signal has returned to 2 of my 4 receivers. I've gone through the whole reset thing and all the cables I can access seem to be connected properly.

Currently 2 out of 3 of my D11's are working. The other D11 and my HR20 receive no signal at all. Signal strength comes up as 0's across the board.

I've called D* and they couldn't do anything over the phone, I have a service call scheduled for Friday, but that means I miss everything I've scheduled to record from now until then...

Any thoughts on other things I can try?

I understand that this is caused by the wind, but this will be my 5th service call in the past 3 months. Since I've only been a customer 3 months, is this the quality of service I can expect from D* (both from a Customer service and TV service pov)?

List of problems so far:

Original installer took over 12 hours to do a simple 4 room setup.
Original installer screwed up the install to one room.
Original installer left a Hole in my roof (subsequent water damage).

My order of Sunday Ticket stopped working. CSR assured me I had it before the first week, after the 2nd week it went away and D* says I never had it...

Service call to repair Roof.
Service call to repair the badly set up room.
Service call to really repair the badly set up room.
Service call to upgrade to HR20 and AT9.
Service call to fix signal to HR20 and one D11.

Total to date has been 25 hours of my wife's and my time wasted on service calls. I may start charging them to come to my house. One guy just sat on my couch for 2 hours watching TV.

My wife is pissed, I am pissed and if D* didn't have a monopoly on NFLST...

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
If I'm reading right, you now have the AT9 dish, correct? Did they happen to install the "monopoles" - additional support pieces for the AT9 dish? Should look like a tripod configuration rather than a single pole with the dish on it. The reason for that is to hold the dish steadier against the wind because of the larger profile of the dish. Could be that your dish is slightly out of alignment due to the wind.

Just a thought.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have an AT9 dish, and they didn't install the monopoles. I will request that they do so when they come to fix the alignment on Friday.

Would the dish being out of alignment cause 2 of the 4 receivers to stop working? I would think that it would be an all or none proposition, but I'm still new to this whole thing.

Anything I can do in the meantime to get a signal coming in? How hard would it be to find the proper placement for the dish and adjust it myself?

·
Mentor
38 Posts
It is really a manner of trial and error using baby steps while making the adjustments and checking the signal. It can be time consuming if you have to go back into the house to check the signal.

The good news is that it is not exactly rocket science. Anyone can do it themselves with enough patience.

I had the home installers over once to upgrade me to an AT9. In short, I sent him down the road without the "free" dish, and called D* to cover the costs of the slimline and multiswitch I purchased ( will be here Sat ;) ). Needless to say, my experience was not great, but I was attempting to avoid the hell you are now going through since he was demanding to install on my roof. Will never have the home installers back, even if it is "free".

·
Banned
614 Posts
Skarzon said:
Ok, so we had some nice wind in my area today and it knocked out the satellite signal for pretty much the whole day. The wind has sense stopped and the signal has returned to 2 of my 4 receivers. I've gone through the whole reset thing and all the cables I can access seem to be connected properly.

Currently 2 out of 3 of my D11's are working. The other D11 and my HR20 receive no signal at all. Signal strength comes up as 0's across the board.

I've called D* and they couldn't do anything over the phone, I have a service call scheduled for Friday, but that means I miss everything I've scheduled to record from now until then...

Any thoughts on other things I can try?

I understand that this is caused by the wind, but this will be my 5th service call in the past 3 months. Since I've only been a customer 3 months, is this the quality of service I can expect from D* (both from a Customer service and TV service pov)?

List of problems so far:

Original installer took over 12 hours to do a simple 4 room setup.
Original installer screwed up the install to one room.
Original installer left a Hole in my roof (subsequent water damage).

My order of Sunday Ticket stopped working. CSR assured me I had it before the first week, after the 2nd week it went away and D* says I never had it...

Service call to repair Roof.
Service call to repair the badly set up room.
Service call to really repair the badly set up room.
Service call to upgrade to HR20 and AT9.
Service call to fix signal to HR20 and one D11.

Total to date has been 25 hours of my wife's and my time wasted on service calls. I may start charging them to come to my house. One guy just sat on my couch for 2 hours watching TV.

My wife is pissed, I am pissed and if D* didn't have a monopoly on NFLST...
If the AT-9 is installed correctly, unless it's hurricane force winds it shouldn't be a continuous problem. My AT-9 has worked fine even with winds as high as 55 mph.

·
Icon
545 Posts
If 2 out of 4 rcvrs have at least a signal from the 101 sat then it's probably a wiring problem or a multi-switch problem with the other 2! That's not to say you don't have an alngmnt problem also.

So, the wind knocked the dish out of algnmnt, and at some point knocked it back into algnmnt?

Where is your multiswitch mounted?

If you want the monpoles mounted when the tech gets there you better 1st call D* to have them put it on the notes for the service call, then get the # for the HSP and call them to make sure the tech brings them, it's not something they would normaly carry on the truck!

Good Luck

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I can't figure. If the signal is getting through to 2 of the receivers, it has to be a wiring problem. It makes no sense that an out of alignment dish would some how be in alignment for 2 of the 4 boxes.

I'm going to call D* today and make sure that the tech's have the additional monopoles with them. Hopefully they will stabilize the dish.

Oh, another thing I noticed is that the last installer only ran one cable to my second DVR....I didn't have it set up yet because I wanted to finish watching recorded shows on my big screen so I just realized it last night, one more thing for them to fix...

·
Hall Of Fame
5,579 Posts
Check your signal strength on the working and non working receivers. A guess would be they are all close but the ones not working are a little lower probably just below signal threshold.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
If the cables at the dish are loose it could be the wind knocked a couple of them off just enough to cause them to not be connected. If you can get to where the dish is you can check this yourself as well as move the dish side to side to realign it somewhat.

Just curious....any trees in the way where the high winds could have been blowing the branches in the signal path? That could cause the signal loss during the wind storm. Especially if you are getting great signal on the other 2 receivers that are working. What are your numbers on those boxes, in the 70s at least?

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesterday's windstorm (no rain, just wind) was pretty severe.
"Local Weather Guy" said:
Wednesday, the sustained wind speed reached 48 mph. I emphasize sustained, which means it wasn't a wind gust. The winds were literally blowing near 50 mph Wednesday. In a typical thunderstorm, if the wind gust approaches 58 mph, the storm is considered severe.
So, it is very possible that with 50mph sustained winds some of the connections could have worked themselves loose. I'll get up there and check them when I get home tonight, maybe I can adjust the dish a bit myself as well.

There aren't any trees in the way of the AT9, maybe some could interfere with the small local dish during a storm...I haven't checked the signal strength on the working receivers and won't be able to until I get home tonight, but they were all running in the high 80's to 90's before yesterday.

I'm hoping that this was just a freak wind storm that has caused so much trouble, we don't normally get sustained winds like that around here.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: The tech is out at my house right now. He couldn't get a signal from the AT9 so he's replacing it with a Slimline. The AT9 did have one monopole installed, but not the second...for some reason. He will be adding both to the new dish. Hopefully this will fix the problems.

On a side note, I called D* last night to confirm that they had all of the necessary info on the work order. I wanted to make sure that the tech showed up with everything...well it turns out that only half the stuff I requested made it to the Tech's work order. For the second time now, they will have failed to install a second line to my bedroom TV for DVR service. This is getting comical.

At least this tech appears competent, but it's early...I'll be heading home for lunch and hopefully will have more info when I get there.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like the LNB array on my AT9 went out during the wind storm. It wasn't even a week old...

Anyways, I now have a new Slimline installed and everything is up and running. He wouldn't run the second cable to my bedroom for the DVR because it wasn't on his work order (how is that even possible, with all the trouble I went through to make sure it was included?!?)...so I'll have to call and reschedule that...for the 3rd time now.

Another thing I found funny is the different info each tech has about the availability of services in your area. The last tech told me one thing about locals in HD and this guy says we will NEVER get locals in HD my area. Then he goes on to say that they are changing the DMA boundaries in the area, but I don't even think the guy knew what a DMA was. Especially since he had no idea which one we are in...The guy lives in town, so it's not like he was unfamiliar with the area or anything.

I asked what he thought about the prospects of getting local HD OTA signals if I put up an antenna, once the OTA tuners go online in the HR20, and he said no way it would work. My neighbor gets at least 3 OTA HD signals at all times, and another at night without cable or satellite, using just a set top antenna, but this guy tells me it's impossible in the area.

The land is basically flat, we're within 20 miles of the broadcast towers...there are over 4k posts on the AVS forums about all the HD signals people are getting in my town...I guess it's my fault for asking...

Seriously, if you don't know, just say so. Why make stuff up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.