DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. Hopefully you can help me figure out what happened.

12/8/06 I upgraded to the HD gold package with the ViP622. I needed a second Dish 500 so the installer proceeded to mount it. He jumped (coaxial cable) the new 500 dish LNB to the existing 500 dish dual LNB. Once he tuned the dish in (boy was he in a rush.. took 30 seconds) I got the new HD channels and after running a switch test and all that stuff my signal was anywhere from 93 to 103 depending ont he transponder but nothing was lover then 93

HD was awesome until 2 days ago when I lost the satellite. I could not tune into any HD channels on 61.5 and when I ran a switch test, it saw my 110 and 119 but not the 61.5 Sat. I called dish and they had me do the usual, run the switch test, power cycle the box etc etc. The scheduled a tech for tomorrow (1/1/07) to come out and credited my account for the downtime.

Well, today (tried yesterday too but no go) I tried the switch test again and BINGO.. It found 61.5 in all it's glory with signals 93-105 and my HD is back.

Anyone know what could have caused this? I live in NJ if that is a help as far as site to the satellite. The dish has perfect view of the sky, no trees etc.

I am still letting Dish come out but if anyone could shed some light on what may have happened or if maybe I need a new switch (I assume it is in the dual LNB) it will help me deal with the tech and any future problems I may have.

Thanks

Site

· Icon
546 Posts
Could be one of three things. The 'new' dual LNB the tech installed may not have been new (could have been dropped, scavenged from another job, etc.) It may be dropping your signal intermittently. The existing DPP LNB on your existing dish may be causing the intermittent loss of the 61.5 signal from the new dish. I replaced several in '06 because of the intermittent or total loss of signal. It may be on its way out the door. Lastly, your rcvr could be defective out of the box. Sometimes those rcvrs can get banged up or dropped when passing thru the UPS, Fedex centers. So a tech can install it, it may work well for a while or may not work at all. So your rcvr could be suspect as well. Hope this helps. :eek2:

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
You didn't say if it saw the LNB but not the satellite, or not.

Marginal wiring or bad LNB are likely. If it saw the LBN but not the satellite it is most likely the LNB (presuming your satellite dish is not loose). If it failed to find the LNB it could be the wiring. And of course a bad switch could also be a problem.

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tnsprin said:
You didn't say if it saw the LNB but not the satellite, or not.

Marginal wiring or bad LNB are likely. If it saw the LBN but not the satellite it is most likely the LNB (presuming your satellite dish is not loose). If it failed to find the LNB it could be the wiring. And of course a bad switch could also be a problem.
The tech was here for 5 minutes and said we need a new LNB and he has to order one? Dish was no help either in saying give them (the contractor) until Wednesday. So another day to waste.

Right now my HD is back so keeping my fingers crossed until the new LNB arrives.

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New problem (or a compounded one):

last night no stations worked on tuner 1 of my ViP622. Tuner 2 worked just fine and the switch test revealed no issues for tuner 2 but tuner 1 saw nothing for either of the 3 satellites. I called Dish and got nowhere as they said I have to sit tight and wait for a new LNB. They wanted to schedule a dispatch next week (Wednesday) in hopes the LNB would be in by then.

I escalated to a supervisor and got nowhere as well. Cable or Verizon FIOS is looking better since this service issue has tainted my opinion Dish. I know DirectTv is no better or maybe worse but I can tell you if there was an issue with cable (when I had it) it was not days/weeks before it was fixed.

Now about an hour ago tuner 1 saw all satellites and I have all my stations. What is happening besides Dish not caring for it's customers?

· Hall Of Fame
1,970 Posts
Sitedrifter said:
New problem (or a compounded one):

last night no stations worked on tuner 1 of my ViP622. Tuner 2 worked just fine and the switch test revealed no issues for tuner 2 but tuner 1 saw nothing for either of the 3 satellites. I called Dish and got nowhere as they said I have to sit tight and wait for a new LNB. They wanted to schedule a dispatch next week (Wednesday) in hopes the LNB would be in by then.

I escalated to a supervisor and got nowhere as well. Cable or Verizon FIOS is looking better since this service issue has tainted my opinion Dish. I know DirectTv is no better or maybe worse but I can tell you if there was an issue with cable (when I had it) it was not days/weeks before it was fixed.

Now about an hour ago tuner 1 saw all satellites and I have all my stations. What is happening besides Dish not caring for it's customers?
Sure sounds like a bad DPP LNB/Switch or the associated signal diplexer, give them a chance to replace it and see if it fixes it. I know it sucks to wait but sometimes that's the only option from any provider.

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What an ordeal! From missed appointments to the Night Supervisor (of the contractor ) telling me I am not a customer when I said how dare you speak to a customer like that after he said I was just crying about the missed appointment. Dish does a poor job on contractor assignment and maitenance. The Dish people did not care as well they just wanted to keep giving me a new date and time.

Can someone confirm the *good* complaint address at Dish? Is it [email protected] ?

Thanks

Site

· Hall Of Fame
1,970 Posts
Sitedrifter said:
What an ordeal! From missed appointments to the Night Supervisor (of the contractor ) telling me I am not a customer when I said how dare you speak to a customer like that after he said I was just crying about the missed appointment. Dish does a poor job on contractor assignment and maitenance. The Dish people did not care as well they just wanted to keep giving me a new date and time.

Can someone confirm the *good* complaint address at Dish? Is it [email protected] ?

Thanks

Site
Sorry to hear your having so many problems, I've had decent luck with both the Dish assigned and local retailers but obviously it's not perfect!

I believe the e-mail you want to use is [email protected] - I can't promise you anything but when I contacted them they were very quick and helpful so I hope they get your issues cleared up. It certainly is frustrating to feel stuck with a poor service provider.

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The office of the CEO called me yesterday and basically apologized for the treatment I endured. They assured me that Dish will service my equipment and it will not be sub-contracted out because there is a Dish office in my area. I also will be given a direct # of this person in case there is ever a problem.

Sounds good to me..

Site

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.