DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa gave me 0x10b on the second run.

I was gone from 12/19 til yesterday. None of my recordings after 1/1 work, even though they show up on the recording list.

Trick play also is completely broken - freezing the picture completely until I change channels.

I just reset my recorder and now all the recordings from 1/1 on are completely gone! Trick play is fixed though.

What the hell happened? Is there a nice new bug because the year changed?

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
~15 min after performing a reset from the menu, while switching to a OTA channel (7-1) the screen went black and never recovered. I just did a RBR.

0x10b was great before I went on vacation - seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket while I was gone!

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
hi-rez,

Alas, you've been burned by an HR20 defect. :( Which one, I can't quite say and probably doesn't matter to you, it didn't work. I am glad you did get recordings from 12/19 thru 12/31. You are not alone (helps some people to know that). Its not your fault (tho some people seem to want to think you might be). I had a lockup this morning, first for quite some time.

I don't think it related to year change...but perhaps it might relate to a guide change that happened because of year change? Who knows.

May you work solid and happy from here on out,
Tom

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
tibber said:
hi-rez,

Alas, you've been burned by an HR20 defect. :( Which one, I can't quite say and probably doesn't matter to you, it didn't work. ...Tom
Just a guess but I would say he got bslapped by:

Bug Name: Unwatchable Bug or negitive number recording, Older names include BSOD and Black Screen, these older usages of the names did not describe lockups in the HR20, rather just a black screen associated with playback and the death of that recording. These older names should not be confused with the newer more lethal bug now called the black screen bug these usages are listed here for historic reasons.

First Identified Report: 08-30-06, 05:17 PM by Wally_Gator

Prognosis: Loss of recording, no recovery

History/Status: Currently active in 0x10b has been in every release of code, bug may be on decline, fewer reports noted. For a period of time some users called the unwatchable bug the Black Screen of Death

Postings of interest on the subject:

Symptoms: When a recording is selected for playback, user will experience a black screen. User can use trick plays but there will be no change in video status, if the trick play has a counter, it will increment but screen will continue to be black. Users may notice that the time code may contain a negative number but it may also contain just zeros, example 0:-59 or -1:-29 or 0:00. Click here for many examples of the negative time code. If a recording is currently in progress and trick plays do not work, it is highly likely that this recording will suffer the Unwatchable Bug, this same symptom was also experienced with the Partial Bug (potentially eliminated under latest versions of the code). A reboot will remove all recordings with the Unwatchable bug

Example post of the Unwatchable Bug in 0x10b
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=757695&postcount=145
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=757765&postcount=150

Treatment: Delete the recording or reboot the HR20, your recording is lost.

And/or

Bug Name: IKD Bug, AKA Instant Keep or Delete bug, unplayable bug, no play bug

Prognosis: Possible loss of recording

History/Status: Currently active in 0x10b

First Identified Report: 09-27-06, 07:56 PM dervari "Recording problems still - Unable to playback"

Symptoms: Upon playing a recorded program you will instantly be prompted to Keep or Delete that program. A reboot may remove shows with the IKD bug. Some users have noted that repeated retires of playing a program with a IKD bug may result in successful playback.

Treatment: Attempt to replay the recording multiple times, this may result in a successful playback, rebooting may result in a recording that can be played back or it may be removed from the playlist.

with a dash of

Bug Name: Trick Play Disabled or stop working by mrshermanoaks
Prognosis: Annoying and can result in missed viewing.

History/Status: Currently still active in 0x10b.

Symptom: While watching live TV, no trick play buttons (rewind, ff, instant replay, skip) will work except pause. But if you pause, you cannot start play again.

Treatment: Must change channels

or

B]Bug Name:[/B] Partial Lockup AKA: Partial freeze or remote not working

Prognosis: Fatal, Requires Reboot

History/Status: Confirmed if in 0x10b by marty45714 & by Donnie Byrd, experienced in other version of code.

First Identified Report: 10-01-06, 07:14 PM by RAD

Symptom: Remote is unusable with the execption of a few buttons like list, guide, power, etc. The navigation buttons will not work, but video video and audio will continue to play, you can go into the play list but you can not move the cursor. You can go in and out of menus and turn the power on and off but no navigation and if I recall correclty the numbers don't work either.

Treatment: Requires rebooting

Mixed in

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
hi-rez said:
Ha, btmoore thanks for the info. I was definately bslapped by "Unwatchable Bug or negitive number recording". Hopefully it doesn't happen again :)
Ha, don't count on it, it has been with us from the dawn of time. You would think that they would fix this by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.