DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I had to have my HR20 replaced and was given an HR21.

When the technician left, all the shows recorded to my External eSata drive were visible (but not playable).

After an 0-2-4-6-8 reset, I tried to view the recordings, but everything is gone.
The HR21 seems to be properly connected (it displayed the shows previously).

Is this a normal problem? Does anyone have a solution (in case those recordings ARE still on the drive)?

· Hall Of Fame
1,886 Posts
As I understand, the content on an eSATA drive are only accessible via the HD DVR that recorded the content.

This is the primary reason that has kept me from getting a multi-TB eSATA enclosure and recording anything and everything that I might watch.

· AllStar
60 Posts
I've been wondering about this too... I understand maybe DTV has reasons to link recordings on an external drive to the box it was formatted on. But, whether you're using the internal or an external drive, if something in the box other than the hard drive dies, it would sure be nice if the tech could copy your shows/settings over from the old box to the new box! I'm having a tuner problem (posted in another thread)... someone said they think it's most likely a bad LNB, but what if the tech comes and says he has to replace my HR20? I don't want to lose all of my recorded shows (in my case on an external drive, but would be the same problem on internal)! Maybe I should just live with the ~8 channels we're not receiving right now.

Anyway, I understand that techs try to get in and out as fast as possible to minimize costs, but I think they really should set things up so they can copy over your old shows. It couldn't be that hard to add that capability to the box, and then connect the old and new boxes by USB or ethernet or something.

Another possibility... I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but would they let me keep the old box until we finish watching the shows on it and then return it? Or wait, I guess that's not possible because once the box isn't active you can't watch recorded shows, I think I remember reading (unlike our old DirecTivo, which did let you disconnect the satellite cables and phone line and still watch the recorded shows).

· Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dcowboy7 said:
bingo !

the external drive is married to the recorded from dvr.
Well, now I have a new issue.
After resetting the HR21 with the eSata drive connected, it no longer seems to recognize the external drive at all. I recording something, detached the eSata HDDrive; but the recording still shows up, and is playable, obviously saved on the HR21 internal HD.

I cannot get the new HR21 to "see" the external drive. :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.