DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting daytime programming in HD until sometime last week. I have been recording Martha Stewart (NBC) at 11 A.M. Mountain Time and it has been in HD all along -- until last week. I checked live braodcast today and my local satellite HD channels are not broadcasting in HD -- the only two that had HD programming on when I checked were NBC and FOX -- neither coming through in HD though the Guide and Info labeled them HD and they had been in HD up until last week. So far, night time HD on the local satellite is fine -- I think -- much of my evening HD programs are on ABC so I guess it's possible that NBC and FOX have some disruption in the evening that I haven't noticed yet. Also, I checked my non-local HD daytime broadcast today (HBO, FOOD, SHOWTIME) and they are all in good HD -- so it's not my 622. Thoughts?????

·
Hall Of Fame
1,202 Posts
I will not be able to check until Saturday as I'm at work during the day all week.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
Check with your local networks, they may have forgotten they have an HD feed and have not switched it over or there may be some other problem/s.

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still having issues with sporadic HD on local sat. Up until last week, anything labled HD in the Guide and/or Info would be broadcast and received in HD. Now, it's sporadic. Today, none of my locals are coming in HD. Lat evening, the shows I normally watch were in HD and after 7 P.M. I got more in HD than I had during the day, but still some HD shows were not in HD. Also, normally when I switch from an HD program to an SD, the aspect automatically changes -- HD fills the screen in "normal" and a switch to SD fills the screen but in "stretch". Now, a switch to the locals in HD remains in "normal" but no longer fills the screen and the station's HD logo no longer appears in the lower corner of the screen. Guess I'm going to have to call Tech -- it will be my first call since dumping the 921 and getting my 622.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
debpasc said:
Still having issues with sporadic HD on local sat. Up until last week, anything labled HD in the Guide and/or Info would be broadcast and received in HD. Now, it's sporadic. Today, none of my locals are coming in HD. Lat evening, the shows I normally watch were in HD and after 7 P.M. I got more in HD than I had during the day, but still some HD shows were not in HD. Also, normally when I switch from an HD program to an SD, the aspect automatically changes -- HD fills the screen in "normal" and a switch to SD fills the screen but in "stretch". Now, a switch to the locals in HD remains in "normal" but no longer fills the screen and the station's HD logo no longer appears in the lower corner of the screen. Guess I'm going to have to call Tech -- it will be my first call since dumping the 921 and getting my 622.
Are you talking about local HD OTA or sat HD locals? Sorry but your statements have confused me.:confused:

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry -- it's the sat locals. I did call local station engineer for one of the stations -- they were broadcasting in HD and have been for 4 years -- as he and I spoke, I was not receiving the HD on that station. He said they get lots of calls/complaints from Dish subscribers, including his station manager! I thought local network problems was a long shot, anyway -- it's not just one of my locals, it's all of them. Did a power-plug pull, that didn't help. I then talked to Dish Tech -- a good experience, by the way, minimal waiting, seemed knowledgable. We did a check switch. No help. She took my receiver info and is giving it to engineering. It's a "one-off" report -- no one else is reporting this problem. She said to give it a week or so to see if it's a software fix they can do. If not fixed, call back and they may have to replace the receiver. So, that's where it is.

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no daytime HD, Monday -- Friday. Maybe I really have finally lost my mind and I never was getting Martha Stewart in HD. But, my reason for posting is to say that I have gotten really good attention from a Dish Tech Op III guy. He e-mails almost every day and has called several times (though I have missed his calls). He has been asking questions but no amount of info I can give is leading us to any conclusions or fixes. It's only one program -- I don't normally watch daytime TV except for NFL football on Sundays and that's still HD, so it's not a big deal in the scheme of things. I just would like to know if something has changed/quit working or if my memory is that bad!!

·
Mentor
36 Posts
To the best of my recollection, KOB(our New Mexico NBC affiliate) does not show anything in HD during the day. I am pretty sure that Martha and the soap operas are not broadcast in HD anywhere.

·
Legend
221 Posts
debpasc said:
Still no daytime HD, Monday -- Friday. Maybe I really have finally lost my mind and I never was getting Martha Stewart in HD....
Sounds like you are confusing an HD signal with HD programing and my have "play it again Sam" memory. Just because the broadcast signal is in HD doesn't mean that the programing is.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
William said:
Sounds like you are confusing an HD signal with HD programing and my have "play it again Sam" memory. Just because the broadcast signal is in HD doesn't mean that the programing is.
Very true, check the network's website to see which programs are HD and which are not.

·
Mentor
44 Posts
I have been using an OTA antenna so as to not have this type of problem and it works quite well. Many of the soaps and other programming is in fact broadcast in HD from the local networks. You might want to try an antenna, dish will supply the program guide as long as you subscribe to the local channels and you get more recording options.

·
Legend
221 Posts
loves2watch said:
...Many of the soaps and other programming is in fact broadcast in HD from the local networks...
I thought that only one soap opera (Young and Restless) was shot and shown in HD. Now there are more and if so what are they?

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,143 Posts
Some TV stations are capable of airing HD syndicated programing . Not all TV stations have the HD recording equipment to broadcast it in HD. Sometimes the programming is not in HD or is recorded in SD or a controller forgot to throw the switch to air it in HD.

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really think I was getting Martha in HD prior to Thanksgiving week. As I mentioned earlier, switching from SD to HD automatically changes my aspect ratio from stretch to normal. In either case, my 50 inch DLP screen is filled. Now, on Martha, and anything else labeled as HD during daytime hours, the aspect stays at normal as if it was HD but the screen is not filled. This was not the case before -- the screen was filled, the picture appeared to be HD, and the HD logo appeared in the corner.

·
Legend
221 Posts
debpasc said:
I really think I was getting Martha in HD prior to Thanksgiving week. As I mentioned earlier, switching from SD to HD automatically changes my aspect ratio from stretch to normal. In either case, my 50 inch DLP screen is filled. Now, on Martha, and anything else labeled as HD during daytime hours, the aspect stays at normal as if it was HD but the screen is not filled. This was not the case before -- the screen was filled, the picture appeared to be HD, and the HD logo appeared in the corner.
Again you seem to be confusing a HD signal showing SD content. As long as a HD signal is being sent to your set it doesn't know if/that the original source is SD, aka 4x3, aka 1.33. The window boxed black bars are encoded into the HD signal so your set sees this as a 1.78 aka 16x9 picture (which it is with black on the sides)..

I checked TitianTV and Martha is SD (not HD) and there are no soap operas in HD except The Young and Restless. The View, Good Morning America, and Today are the only other daytime network shows in HD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.