DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a messge from DishNetwork on my answering machine, saying that they had mistakenly allowed me to access the East Coast NBC feed.

I've had the East Coast feeds for all 4 networks for 3 years, supposededly grandfathered, I guess. And now, 1 week after losing my Distant Locals, I have lost 1 of the Distant Nets.

What I don't understand is why I would lose only 1 of the Distant Nets, and not all 4. I would think that it would be an all-or-nothing situation.

This incremental nibbling away at me by DishNetwork is disturbing. It really seems as though DN doesn't have a clear idea of what it's doing.

·
Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
According to the SHVIA (the law which allows the sale of distant local networks), you need to qualify for each individual network, based on the expected signal strength of each local station. If the predicted signal strength of a network startion where you live is insufficient, the satellite providers can sell you that individual network from a distant market.

If the predicted signal strength is sufficient, the only way that the satellite providers can sell you a particular network on a distant basis is to get a waiver from the local station. Some stations are quite liberal in issuing waivers; some stations have a blanket "no waiver" policy.

Dish Network used to use a fairly liberal standard for qualifying customers for distant locals. They have had to tighten up that standard recently, and a lot of customers have lost one or more networks. (I live in what had been a purely unserved area until last spring, when I no longer qualified for ABC. Fortunately, the ABC station in question granted me a waiver, so I still qualify for all networks on a distant basis.)

It's not that Dish Network doesn't have a clear idea of what it's doing; in fact, it's exactly the opposite. They have always tried to live on the murky edges of the rules, and they interpreted the law as liberally as possible to be able to sell distant locals to as many customers as they could. Now that they have had to more rigorously interpret the law, a lot of their customers have lost their distant access to one or more of the networks.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Perhaps you are in Grade A for your local NBC. That would be the only way to justify turning off Distant NBCs for people who are qrandfathered, unless that Miami judge is being a bit preemptive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.