DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Godfather
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a Recorded show on the HR 20 when the power went out in the neighborhood. Power is back on but the HR20 isnt. Just a faint blue light coming from the power button.

Everything else is working fine in the rack connected to the same surge and power conditioner as the HR20. The hr10-250 in the same rack and is up and running fine.

I never noticed that faint blue glow from the power button does any body know what that means???

I tried the reset button on the hr20 and that blue light will turn off then back on, Like I said its a faint blue glow on the power button.

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rob

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Pull the power on the box, and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, and then let it start up again.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
rlgold88 said:
Thanks I will Try it
And...get yourself a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to put on your HR20. It is VERY hard on equipment to have the power go off and come back on (utility level). It is NEVER done gracefully and is quite hard on the equipment.

I recommend the APC 1100 (it's 125 bucks at Sam's Club and will not only protect the HR20, it will run it for well over two hours).

I have 3 UPS's on my system:

1. Samsung DLP 56" (very hard on lamps to have the power go away and no fan on the bulb as it cools)

2. HR20 (as above)

3. Onkyo Integra Amp and Accessories

With this approach, I can have a full power loss for over two hours and not lose full functionality of the home theater system. (Now, I admit, this is CRAZY overkill. The two for the HR20 and the Sammy are necessary, the 3rd one is a bit excessive)

·
Godfather
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hasan said:
And...get yourself a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to put on your HR20. It is VERY hard on equipment to have the power go off and come back on (utility level). It is NEVER done gracefully and is quite hard on the equipment.

I recommend the APC 1100 (it's 125 bucks at Sam's Club and will not only protect the HR20, it will run it for well over two hours).

1. Samsung DLP 56" (very hard on lamps to have the power go away and no fan on the bulb as it cools)

2. HR20 (as above)

With this approach, I can have a full power loss for over two hours and not lose full functionality of the home theater system. (Now, I admit, this is CRAZY overkill. The two for the HR20 and the Sammy are necessary, the 3rd one is a bit excessive)
Thanks for the recommendation, I certainly will take your advice

·
Godfather
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Pull the power on the box, and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, and then let it start up again.
Thanks Earl it is receiving sat info I think its going to work, Yes its On

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
You don't have to run out and buy a UPS. I've never had one in the house on any of my computers, tvs, DVRs, DVD players, etc... and I've never had any problems. I'm pretty sure the power supplies nowadays in the consumer electronics products are designed to handle stuff like this.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
glennb said:
You don't have to run out and buy a UPS. I've never had one in the house on any of my computers, tvs, DVRs, DVD players, etc... and I've never had any problems. I'm pretty sure the power supplies nowadays in the consumer electronics products are designed to handle stuff like this.
Actually you would be very surprised.

Most CE's are... but DVRs are specialized computers for the most part.
And quick brown outs, voltage drops ect... result in the systems rebooting.

While most of them will reboot normally... that 10 minutes down time, ect... quick power lost ot hard drives ect... can be easily avoid with a $50 UPS.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
glennb said:
Not hardly....if you're smart you put a ups on any delicate equipment. It's been recommended for years. Most consumer grade power supplies are ....well...garbage. (Take it from someone who has repaired them for many years...including avionics, which are much more robust than consumer grade.)

But hey, you pays your money (or not) and takes your chances. It only has to go bad once to make one regret taking appropriate and prudent precautions. The fact that his HR20 went into a "confused" lockup state is proof positive that his HR20 did NOT respond well to the power interruption and restore.

Penny wise and pound foolish is your advice in my opinion. Now he can decide for himself.

·
Legend
109 Posts
Mine did this exact thing Saturday afternoon. I turned it off, then unplugged it to re-route some cables. When I plugged it back in, I got the dim blue light. I thought the hard drive had crashed. Just as I was about to call D* flustomer nervous, it came back on.

BTW, I use a Monster Reference Home Theater Power Center (HTS 5100). Works great!

·
Legend
200 Posts
hasan said:

2. HR20 (as above)

What UPS do you use for your TV? With the juice a TV draws, I imagine it only lasts long enough for the tv to cool down?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
deebeeeff said:
What UPS do you use for your TV? With the juice a TV draws, I imagine it only lasts long enough for the tv to cool down?
APC 1100 or 1200 watt...it will run it for a long time! They are about 125 bucks at Sams Club....I'm sure similar prices at other discount joints. I had no trouble finishing an hour long show.

·
Legend
200 Posts
hasan said:
APC 1100 or 1200 watt...it will run it for a long time! They are about 125 bucks at Sams Club....I'm sure similar prices at other discount joints. I had no trouble finishing an hour long show.
Do you use a separate one for the DVR or the same UPS for both the tv and the DVR?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Do you use a separate one for the DVR or the same UPS for both the tv and the DVR?
Separate

·
DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
glennb said:
Maybe the power supplies can handle it, but some of the more delicate components, like the red gun in my RPTV certainly can't (didn't). Lost my red gun and subsequently the TV for a month while they replaced it after a power outage, even tho' I had one of those fancy Monster surge protectors. Luckily I had the protection plan and got it fixed for free. Now I have a ups which will allow me enough time to gracefully shut everything down.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Dave_S said:
Maybe the power supplies can handle it, but some of the more delicate components, like the red gun in my RPTV certainly can't (didn't). Lost my red gun and subsequently the TV for a month while they replaced it after a power outage, even tho' I had one of those fancy Monster surge protectors. Luckily I had the protection plan and got it fixed for free. Now I have a ups which will allow me enough time to gracefully shut everything down.
My point, EXACTLY. Thanks for the "anecdotal" evidence. Better safe than sorry, as you learned the hard way. You have my sympathy...I went through something similar...damn those guns are EXPENSIVE! I ended up dumping the TV...it was just too expensive to replace a gun, with the other two not all that far behind.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I have an APC1500 that the power strip is plugged into... will hold whole system for 40 minutes (unless cranked up ).... has option for second batt for almost 2 hours..

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Most consumer grade power supplies are ....well...garbage.

Isn't a UPS a consumer grade power supply ?
DOH !!
:)

Please answer the following question with a yes or a no response only.
Do you have proof that ALL consumer electronics hardware failures could have been avoided if a UPS had been used ?

I'll just keep living dangerously like I have been for the last 10-20 years now without a UPS.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
glennb said:
Most consumer grade power supplies are ....well...garbage.

Isn't a UPS a consumer grade power supply ?
DOH !!
:)

Please answer the following question with a yes or a no response only.
Do you have proof that ALL consumer electronics hardware failures could have been avoided if a UPS had been used ?

I'll just keep living dangerously like I have been for the last 10-20 years now without a UPS.
No, they aren't...they are designed for a specific purpose. In any case, suit yourself, it's a free country. I don't have time for silly disputes. Find someone who wants to play, it ain't me.

·
Godfather
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hasan said:
No, they aren't...they are designed for a specific purpose. In any case, suit yourself, it's a free country. I don't have time for silly disputes. Find someone who wants to play, it ain't me.
Great info I plan on getting an APC or something similiar But I thought the Main advantage Is so you can turn off your equipment safely.

My question now is if the HR20 is off or in standby and the power goes out. The Hr20 still is on internally so what affect will the Apc unit have if the battery resolves all of its power. The hr20 is still going to lose power.

Is their a way to safely turn the Hr20 completely down so my blue light situation wont happen?

Wouldn't the problem I had at the start of this thread happen even with the HR20 was in standby connected to the APC.

Or is just turning the hr20 off to standby with the power from the APC help to have less of a chance of freezing up if all power is gone?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.