DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We switched to DirecTV from DISH about 2 1/2 years ago, and had no problems until last year.... we are now having a LOT of pixelation / signal loss 771 on lots of channels. This happens on recordings and also live TV, and used to be bad only when it rained, now it happens when the weather is clear. Out here we have very hot days 100's and has been cool at night upper 60's, but it seems to pixelate all the time now I had looked this up a while back and it seemed to be the consensus that I should try to change my LNB (this is a cheaper option than paying $50.00 just to have a service guy come out) We have a SWiM SL3S4NR2-02 LNB (this only has one line connection), what are my options as far as a new LNB? Are there other ones that will work or are compatible? are there newer upgraded ones etc Please Help
Thank You
I have attached a photo of the old one.

Attachments

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Why waste money on the LNB when the issue could be on some other place, like dish alignment for example? Get a service call from DirecTV, they will replace anything that is needed to get you back up and running

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We do not have the protection plan, we were not told this when we signed up. When I called Dtv about this problem they went through a couple of things while on the phone and when this did not fix the problem they said it would be $50.00 just to send someone out (not including what else they did) This is what I am trying to avoid. I also looked at a "satellite finder" for $20.00 but our dish is more than 30 feet from the closest receiver. so that is not an option either.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
What weren't you told when you started service?

Have you but one DVR? What model?

I'd much rather spend $50 for a guaranteed fix than lesser amounts for what might be. Wishing you well.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
rsphoto1 said:
We do not have the protection plan, we were not told this when we signed up. When I called Dtv about this problem they went through a couple of things while on the phone and when this did not fix the problem they said it would be $50.00 just to send someone out (not including what else they did) This is what I am trying to avoid. I also looked at a "satellite finder" for $20.00 but our dish is more than 30 feet from the closest receiver. so that is not an option either.
The $50 covers the call and any equipment needed to get you up and running in first class condition.

·
AllStar
105 Posts
If you switched to DirecTV 2.5 years ago, call and threaten to leave unless they fix it for free.

I was told once that they basically will do one service call a year for free. Maybe that isn't true anymore with the service plan thingie. Maybe you need to threaten to leave for them to give you a free service call.

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
Hoffer said:
If you switched to DirecTV 2.5 years ago, call and threaten to leave unless they fix it for free.

I was told once that they basically will do one service call a year for free. Maybe that isn't true anymore with the service plan thingie. Maybe you need to threaten to leave for them to give you a free service call.
When you threaten to cancel you better be prepared to have your bluff called.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
rsphoto1 said:
...I also looked at a "satellite finder" for $20.00 but our dish is more than 30 feet from the closest receiver. so that is not an option either.
Please don't waste your money on a cheap satellite finder. They're junk. Best to call and politely request they waive the $50 service visit fee, or simply pay it.

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
Steve said:
Is there a waiting period on the Protection Plan? Otherwise, why not join now and apply that $50 to the first 6-7 months of coverage?
"The Plan coverage commences one (1) calendar month from the date of purchase of the Plan".

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
MysteryMan said:
"The Plan coverage commences one (1) calendar month from the date of purchase of the Plan".
But if the customers gets the PP on the spot with CSR, it covers the SC right away

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.