DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story... Directv/AT&T customer for years. Have successfully been using Directv DVR app (not NOW, but the main app) with both WiFi and over LTE (sponsored data, why not!). Everything has been running reasonably well until I changed things up last week by getting a new phone. Registered new phone on the Directv DVR app (over wifi) and things run great -- can see the DVR, can stream live programming. BUT... turn off wifi and use LTE and get the dreaded Cannot Connect to DVR error. Honestly, I'm afraid to even contact AT&T/Directv because, let's face it... their support record isn't stellar... especially when it comes with anything that doesn't fit neatly in their box. I'm hoping someone here has either experienced and overcome this or can send me in the right support direction.

Previous phone was a Nexus 6 (unlocked). New phone is Oneplus 5 (unlocked)... running 7.1.1. I don't think it is the phone, since Wifi connection to Directv works. But, with that said, I have done the following:

1. Wife has a Pixel on AT&T. Swapped sim cards with her. Directv LTE. Result? Her SIM card in my phone doesn't work. My sim card in her phone, does work. So... something to do with the phone?

2. For good measure, put my sim card back in my old Nexus 6 and Directv works.

Right now, my conclusion is that there is something specific to my new phone that the Directv app is not playing well with (specific to LTE service). Anyone have any ideas? OnePlus is running a "lightly skinned" version over Android... so, has anyone experienced any quirks with custom roms or specifically a OnePlus device and the AT&T app? I'm hoping I'm not alone and that someone has a good answer.

Thanks.

·
114 Posts
There are two levels of locking in Mobile - Device Locking and SIM locking. You said your devices are unlocked, which means they are not Device locked to a specific carrier. However you said your wife's SIM doesn't work in your phone, inferring your wife's phone may be SIM-locked.
Are the versions of the DirecTV DVR app on both phones the same? A newer version may have disabled the streaming over LTE, or it may be another setting buried on your phone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might not have been clear... my wife's sim does work in my phone (I get LTE service, phone, etc.). What doesn't work is the Directv application (Cannot connect to DVR). Same Directv app across all versions of the phone... so...

OnePlus w/my sim LTE. Can't connect to DVR
OnePlus w/my wife sim LTE. Can't connect to DVR
Pixel w/my wife sim. Works.
Pixel w/my sim.. works.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I might not have been clear... my wife's sim does work in my phone (I get LTE service, phone, etc.). What doesn't work is the Directv application (Cannot connect to DVR). Same Directv app across all versions of the phone... so...

OnePlus w/my sim LTE. Can't connect to DVR
OnePlus w/my wife sim LTE. Can't connect to DVR
Pixel w/my wife sim. Works.
Pixel w/my sim.. works.
Have you gone into settings , apps, permissions, etc. and compared the settings in each phone ?

·
Dad
6,606 Posts
Sometimes it can take up to 10 mins for the app to connect to the DVR when remote/out of home. Even on WiFi or LTE. It's not a speed issue as once it connects, video looks as good as it does at home (which is poor SD quality anyway).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea not ideal... I like it for the local news (audio) while I'm driving.

This morning, it was tempermental... gave me some "content restriction errors" and I had to force close and start again... so.. you know... DTV app is as stable as ever. I suspect my troubles are with the app trying to validate my location as I am noticing in location history it is hit and miss at making that call. Regardless, I know.. this is probably as good as it gets with DTV.

·
Legend
243 Posts
I have intermittent problems with my phone doing that. I Uninstall and reinstall the app going through the registration process usually fixes it. The last couple times it didn't and I did the red button rest on my Genie. That fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.