DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Episode synopsis from IMDB: Don and Duck try to bury the hatchet, and Peggy attempts to join in on the execs' after-hours meetings. Also, Duck receives a family visit at the office.

This episode seemed much more like Season One than previous weeks. The set direction was better, there was a central advertising campaign that anchored the episode, and the action focused more on our main characters. I can't say I'm surprised that it was excellent.

Once again we see Don reaching toward morality even as he makes mistake after mistake. He has the best of intentions in berating Betty, but he forgets that she's a person... and a good-looking one, too.

On the other hand, Pete and Peggy start down the road that will lead to their becoming powerful at the expense of their souls, and yet we're torn as to whether or not we want them to stop.

I must say, that Jon Hamm plays silent regret better than any other actor I've seen recently. As he sat down in the final scene, we sense both his disappointment in himself and the inevitability of his downfall. The world he controls will end sooner than he knows. Betty will leave him emotionally if not physically, he will lose his family as his children eschew him, and the world will come to worship at someone else's feet.

Finally, we see some humanity out of Duck. He's not just a prop, he has a history that's all too easy to fill in. Well played here and a welcome cameo from Alexandra Paul who does not get near enough work in my opinion.

Right now, Mad Men has just enough history. You can understand the little innuendoes between Pete and Peggy, between Don and Betty, and even Joan and Peggy. The show has matured to the point where it can reward viewers with little bits of backstory like that.

Well done, and I look forward to another episode!

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Very well said Stuart, it is one of the best series I have seen; right up with the Sopranos. I do wish, as others do, we had a better picture delivered to us. AMC obviously has put some money into this production, I hope they can continue to support its quality.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Excellent review. My wife hates the show, not because it isn't well done, but because it is well done to the point that it reminds her too vividly of what it was like in the work place and in life generally for a woman in the early 1960's.

· Godfather
294 Posts
I enjoyed the mirrors and reflections used throughout the episode
Marilyn/Audrey
Pete looks in the mirror at home and is disgusted
Don looks in the mirror at home and is disgusted
Pete/Don as reflections of each other
Don's latest GF telling him about his reputation that he thought was so secret
Joan telling Peggy to look at how she dresses

great episode

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Isn't "maidenform" a type of bra?

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it is, and they were/are the competitor to Playtex, the company featured in this episode. You can hypothesize why they chose this title... I believe it was because the Maidenform campaign at the time involved people dreaming they were someone else, and in this episode, people realize the difference between their dreams and their realities.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
What is Mad Men?? Never heard of it, but the maidenform listing caught my attention.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a drama that takes place in the early '60s about the life of Madison Avenue advertising executives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.