DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to watch the Today show this morning as I usually do every morning after I punched in 015<enter> on my remote for my HR-20 I noticed the local DTV logo in the corner of my screen. I had to double check and make sure I wasn't using the antenna, and sure enough I was getting an HD local. I tried a number of the other local stations and sure enough, they are in HD. The thing is I can only get them in HD if I punch them in on the remote - if I use the guide I get the SD station. I'm thinking maybe I should reset and see if it downloads a new channel list, but then I thought maybe I'd lose them if this is some sort of "bug". Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

· AllStar
69 Posts
CrEOF said:
When I went to watch the Today show this morning as I usually do every morning after I punched in 015<enter> on my remote for my HR-20 I noticed the local DTV logo in the corner of my screen. I had to double check and make sure I wasn't using the antenna, and sure enough I was getting an HD local. I tried a number of the other local stations and sure enough, they are in HD. The thing is I can only get them in HD if I punch them in on the remote - if I use the guide I get the SD station. I'm thinking maybe I should reset and see if it downloads a new channel list, but then I thought maybe I'd lose them if this is some sort of "bug". Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
This is a common issue. DirecTV does not distinguish an HD channel by a (-) like OTA. You need to set up a custom channel guide and delete out the SD channels. You will know which ones are your HD locals by looking at the 3 digit name assigned to them. You should have two assigned to each local number. One will be SD and one will be HD. If you do not have two for each one then you have another problem.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marino13 said:
This is a common issue. DirecTV does not distinguish an HD channel by a (-) like OTA. You need to set up a custom channel guide and delete out the SD channels. You will know which ones are your HD locals by looking at the 3 digit name assigned to them. You should have two assigned to each local number. One will be SD and one will be HD. If you do not have two for each one then you have another problem.
Ahhh. You are right, mostly. There is no way to distiguish between the SD and HD in the favorites setup, but where there were 2 listed with the same number I just selected the other one. It'd be nice if it'd list like 27 and 27-1 for SD and HD, and even better if 27-2, 27-3, etc., were carried.:sure:

· Legend
209 Posts
CrEOF said:
Ahhh. You are right, mostly. There is no way to distiguish between the SD and HD in the favorites setup, but where there were 2 listed with the same number I just selected the other one. It'd be nice if it'd list like 27 and 27-1 for SD and HD, and even better if 27-2, 27-3, etc., were carried.:sure:
While setting up favorites, look at the station name. The SD is listed as the city and number, while the HD is listed with the station's call letters. For example here in Denver the SD of NBC ch 9 is listed as DN9, while the HD is listed with the call letters, KUSA.

· AllStar
69 Posts
CrEOF said:
Actually, I should be totally right. The call letters for the station should distinguish the SD from HD in the custom channel settings. I use OTA and have the luxury of having -1 and so on for my OTA HD locals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.