1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, just thought some might be interested to know that Dish's
722 HD DVR is the top-rated DVR according to this Playback
Magazine article.

I have had this DVR since June when I re-subscribed to Dish,
and it is an absolutely rock solid performer.

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200809/

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
tcusta00 said:
Cool. Why is this in the DirecTV forum? :confused:
Um . . . "fishing" (in lieu of another term) for trouble? :)

That said, I was at a friend's house last weekend and while the remote was confusing as hell, the UI and performance of their Dish DVR was very nice.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Cool, personally I dont like them at all though!

They are rock solid performers, but the menus look like they are from the 90s and the layouts are just stupid IMO. The remote is also ridiculous.

I had a few different Dish DVRs at work for many years and still love to come home to my Directv :)

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09
2,390 Posts
The article is 'somewhat' incorrect on a couple of points - it states the recording capacity cannot be increased. Although based on the source cited (HR21 Owners manual page 18 of the PDF ) - that would appear correct at first glance - the 'S-ATA' is marked future use. And no mention of the AM21 for locals - however that is probably also a lack of documentation (i.e. also missing from manual). If I were reviewing it without owning one - I would make the same assumptions I think.

So on the 3 thumbs down items - 2 are just 'missing' documentation. I have used my neighbors Dish box and I tend to agree with the first point (channel change speed) - and it is quite usable.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,475 Posts
The author of the article is completely wrong about the expanded recording capacity as bhelton71 notes. The recording capacity is fixed at about 400GB and adding external storage is, was and will likely always be for archiving only. 400GB is enough to cover most situations, but if you are one of those who takes extended vacations, the HR2x's capability to record directly to external drives may be just the ticket.

The downer bullet point about guide information not being available for local channels contradicts itself. The beef should be that local guide information isn't free.

I'm not impressed by DIRECTV's "support" of external storage as it isn't well documented and DIRECTV has done very little to help customers discover and use it. It has been kind of a dirty little secret and if you want to use it, you pretty much need to find specifications, help and advice somewhere other than DIRECTV. It is not at all surprising that Bob and Lisa don't know that the feature is available and it sounds like Bob might be a good candidate.

The author also erred in stating that the ViP722 could record two programs at once. With the setup presented in the review, one can record three programs at once. A similar error appears in the HR21 review where it doesn't note that you can watch a recorded program and record two new ones simultaneously.

Again, the AM21 may well be another dirty little secret. It gets some press on the Digital Transition page of the DIRECTV website, but they're not going out of their way to educate customers on its utility or availability. DIRECTV has never offered a press release regarding availability of eSATA support nor the AM21.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
I don't know how it is with DirecTV in rural areas, but the two guys who "installed" my ViP722 seemed to have never seen one or a ViP622 before. They could get through the basics of an install, activation and remote setup. These are the people that should be "selling" the extras like the USB drive option which gives Dish an extra $40. I could even see the installer selling the new WD drive making some extra bucks. There is alot to be said for creating a vertical marketing structure within an organization that touches the customer directly. Of course, your people have to be competent.:rolleyes:

· Registered
7,910 Posts
harsh said:
Again, the AM21 may well be another dirty little secret. It gets some press on the Digital Transition page of the DIRECTV website, but they're not going out of their way to educate customers on its utility or availability. DIRECTV has never offered a press release regarding availability of eSATA support nor the AM21.
DirecTV and Dish don't usually advertise their OTA capability because it's only a small portion of the population that need it. If you do need it, you know it. It's just that the AM21 is a separate piece of equipment where other DirecTV and Dish receivers it's integrated. Has DirecTV or Dish issued a press release recently that announces the OTA functionality in their receivers? How is this any different?

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
phrelin said:
I don't know how it is with DirecTV in rural areas, but the two guys who "installed" my ViP722 seemed to have never seen one or a ViP622 before. They could get through the basics of an install, activation and remote setup. These are the people that should be "selling" the extras like the USB drive option which gives Dish an extra $40. I could even see the installer selling the new WD drive making some extra bucks. There is alot to be said for creating a vertical marketing structure within an organization that touches the customer directly. Of course, your people have to be competent.:rolleyes:
That is a good idea about the installer selling the customer on the USB drive but they don't get any money from it. It would be nice to be able to sell the customer a hard drive and get paid to hook it up but too many people want everything to be free and Dish doesn't want to pay the installer for any extras. I might suggest this to a few of my better customers since they are probably willing to pay for extras.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
BNUMM said:
That is a good idea about the installer selling the customer on the USB drive but they don't get any money from it. It would be nice to be able to sell the customer a hard drive and get paid to hook it up but too many people want everything to be free and Dish doesn't want to pay the installer for any extras. I might suggest this to a few of my better customers since they are probably willing to pay for extras.
Hope it works for you. There's got to be a pretty good markup potential on the drives. And they do seem to be working OK now.

26,475 Posts
tcusta00 said:
DirecTV and Dish don't usually advertise their OTA capability because it's only a small portion of the population that need it.
While both D* and E* claim over 70% DMA coverage, almost 100% of the DBS population is missing at least one LIL channel from their respective provider. Until those cracks are filled with LIL, OTA remains important.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
harsh said:
While both D* and E* claim over 70% DMA coverage, almost 100% of the DBS population is missing at least one LIL channel from their respective provider. Until those cracks are filled with LIL, OTA remains important.
I didn't say it wasn't important, harsh; I said it's not advertised... you're going off on a tangent... please indicate which discussion you'd like to have at this point:

• OTA capability is not advertised enough at DirecTV or Dish (your original point which I replied to)
  • The importance of OTA as it pertains to DBS providers. (the new point you've brought up)

26,475 Posts
tcusta00 said:
Has DirecTV or Dish issued a press release recently that announces the OTA functionality in their receivers?
If you look at any spec sheet for the H20, HR20 or the Dish Network ViP series, you'll find OTA capability is prominent.

You are correct in that they aren't making an issue of it in corporate press releases, but that's largely because nothing has changed recently. The E* ViP series has always offered ATSC reception capability and the D* HD set tops don't (the HR20 was released without it, so they couldn't talk about it then). E* speaks of ATSC capability in their list of receiver capabilities so it really isn't the secret that the AM21 is.

If you read many of the reviews or comparisons, the ATSC capability of the DISH ViP series is almost always mentioned and occasionally pointed out as an advantage.

26,475 Posts
tcusta00 said:
I didn't say it wasn't important, harsh; I said it's not advertised... you're going off on a tangent...
OTA is OTA. Discussions of all things OTA doesn't need to be bifurcated.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
harsh said:
If you look at any spec sheet for the H20, HR20 or the Dish Network ViP series, you'll find OTA capability is prominent.

You are correct in that they aren't making an issue of it in corporate press releases, but that's largely because nothing has changed recently. The E* ViP series has always offered ATSC reception capability and the D* HD set tops don't (the HR20 was released without it, so they couldn't talk about it then). E* speaks of ATSC capability in their list of receiver capabilities so it really isn't the secret that the AM21 is.

If you read many of the reviews or comparisons, the ATSC capability of the DISH ViP series is almost always mentioned and occasionally pointed out as an advantage.
DirecTV sucks. Dish is the greatest, I get it. :rolleyes:

harsh said:
OTA is OTA. Discussions of all things OTA doesn't need to be bifurcated.
Didn't say that, just said we should stay on the topic you brought up. For the sake of this conversation the two bullets listed above are mutually-exclusive and deserving of separate discussions. That's all I'm saying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.