DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m pretty sure there was a similar thread last week, but I can’t find it.

Anyway, what’s the best way to ensure that your position in a recording will be maintained when you leave it and go watch another recording? Stop? Pause, then exit? Pause, then list? And does it make a difference if you are caught up to live or not?

I was watching the Bills and Bengals games yesterday and I had them both recording. I started late and I would watch one game and then go to the other and switch back and forth. I usually FF between plays, so I can usually catch up pretty quickly, but I may not have been caught up at some points. There were some times when I would go to start the other and it would start at real time instead of where I left off. I seem to recall someone saying that if you catch up to live tv, you should jump back and then you can exit the recording and it will maintain your position. And I think I did that sometimes, but I don’t remember what I pushed when it would maintain your position or wouldn’t maintain your position. I should probably just test it out with all the different combinations, but hopefully someone will know the best way.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Que said:
I'd liked to know this too. I don't have a HR20 but, someday I will.
Well according to the stickied unofficial guide post above, you just need to pause them and hit the previous button to switch back and forth. I'd love it if it were that simply, I'm still curious if it matters if they are both recording and if you have caught up to live or not as that's how I watch football when there are two games. I think I will try every combination that I can think of when I get home since no one seems to know.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
I have added and updated a section in the UNNOFICIAL HR-20 Tips & Tricks for this.

Click on this link:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67933

It assumes that you are a new user so it begins by walking you through recoring two programs. In your case you can skip the steps to set up the program recordings.

It is on page 3 under Watch Two Shows At Once

Please check out the this and the other tips to let me know how they work for you.

-Craig

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milominderbinder2 said:
I have added and updated a section in the UNNOFICIAL HR-20 Tips & Tricks for this.

Click on this link:

It assumes that you are a new user so it begins by walking you through recoring two programs. In your case you can skip the steps to set up the program recordings.

Please check out the this and the other tips to let me know how they work for you.

-Craig
I guess we posted at the same time. I did see that in your guide today, so I've never tried that. Can you tell me if it matters if they are both currently recording, 1 recording and 1 recorded, or if you are caught up to live on 1 or the other or both or neither? There are a lot of combinations of circumstances that could happen and I was just wondering if it would work in all the cases I mentioned.

BTW, thumbs up on the guide. I will be printing it out for my wife and daughter.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Milominderbinder2 said:

Click on this link:

-Craig
That doesn't work for me. I did what you said and when I press "prev", it takes you to the end of the show you are watching. And when you say press select on a recording, it takes you to a screen to play, etc. Did you mean to say press play? I will post this in your other thread too.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, here's what I've found:

- using Stop will keep your place and you can than switch to another recording. So, while watching the first, hit stop and that will take you to your list and then move the cursor to the other recording and hit the play button. To switch, hit stop and hit play on the other recording. It even works when you are caught up to live. The only downside I can find is that in the small preview window, it shows one of the recordings at the live point. When watching football, this could be bad if you hear the score or something (I'd say it's impossible to read the score from the tiny preview window unless you have a super big screen), but maybe a non-issue if you do it fast enough.
- Pressing list maintains your position EXCEPT when you are at live. And by live I mean truly at live. Pressing the 30 sec slip for 3 seconds doesn't truly take you to live. You have to FF to get to live. And then pressing list, and switching to another show, when you come back to the first, it will start at the beginning (oddly enough, not live). So, to use list, when watching the first show, just hit list and then highlight the other recording and press play. To go to the other, hit list and then press play on the other. If you are caught up to live on one of the recordings, you can press pause first and then hit list and then highlight the other and press play and then your position will be maintained

Looks like when I was watching football and I caught up to live, I probably was using list and thats when it will go back to the beginning when you try to go back and hit play on a recording that is caught up to live and exited using list. To get around it, use stop or use pause and then list.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.