DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OUCH!

I have my HR20 connected to a tuner/amplifier via an optical cable and everything worked PERFECTLY until this most recent software update....now it takes up to 30 seconds after I tune to a channel for the audio to come on. It is VERY ANNOYING! On most SD channels it comes on right away, but on the MPEG4 and regular HD channels, it takes forever to come on (and doesn't appear to be as well synchronized with the video as it used to be).

In an attempt to figure out if the problem was with my optical connection, I connected the tuner to the amplifier via HDMI (it's a pretty modern amp) and the issue remains.

I would like to find out if other people are having this issue. I can't believe I'm the only one who's experiencing this because of the new update. If I am, then my receiver has broken and I need to arrange for DirecTV to send me a new one.

Earl - what have you heard about this? Have you heard this from other people? The only thing that has changed with my setup is the new upate, so it must have something to do with that....no?

Bernardo in Miami

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
I am sure it has something to do with the latest update.

Does it do it every time? Once and a while?

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
I am sure it has something to do with the latest update.

Does it do it every time? Once and a while?
Unfortunately it happens all the time. I haven't sat there counting the actual number of seconds before the audio comes on, so I don't know if it always takes the same amount of time....but...

I was just watching the baseball game on MPEG4 local and had to pause it to answer the phone....after I unpaused it, the sound took about 17 seconds to return....if I switch to Discovery HD, for example, it takes about 20 seconds for the sound to come on...if I switch to a non HD channel, it takes about 10 seconds at first, but once I'm on an SD channel, if I switch to another SD channel, it is immediate.

Also interesting, for the many seconds that the sound is silent, you can hear the hard drive in the machine making a bunch of noise (like it's writing/reading). I don't think it makes all this noise once the sound comes on or if it made it before this recent upgrade.

Any rough idea of when another update might be coming? I'd like to know how much longer I may have to put up with this.

Bernardo in Miami

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
roguebjp said:
Any rough idea of when another update might be coming? I'd like to know how much longer I may have to put up with this.
If all goes well... you should only have to deal with this for a few days.

· Legend
152 Posts
I have the same problem, but not to that extreme. I have found that everything has seemed to slow down. On the H20, when you go from channel to channel the picture would come up within a 1/2 second. With the HR20, it takes about another full second. The info banner at the top is also very sluggish. I am also having a problem with HD noise. I'm thinking my HD may be messed up, because my computer acts the same way and gets really sluggish when I am downloading something or there is something running in the background and I am trying to do other things.

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Earl:

Last night my received upgraded to the newest software, but I am still having that same annoying problem with the audio. If I change to my local HD channel (FOX) I usually have to wait around 15 seconds for the audio to come on.

Basically all the problems I was having prior to this upgrade are still there....so the upgrade did not fix my issues.

Any word if other people are having similar issues?

Bernardo in Miami

:mad:

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
roguebjp said:
Hello Earl:

Last night my received upgraded to the newest software, but I am still having that same annoying problem with the audio. If I change to my local HD channel (FOX) I usually have to wait around 15 seconds for the audio to come on.

Basically all the problems I was having prior to this upgrade are still there....so the upgrade did not fix my issues.

Any word if other people are having similar issues?

Bernardo in Miami

:mad:
There have been people with audio issues... but necessarily the same one you are having.

Don't know what else to tell you.
What happens when you are not in Dolby Digital mode, or go via the Red/White connections instead of optical

· Icon
731 Posts
Defintely longer time between when the image shows up vs the sound. I use optical out. Takes 5-10 seconds.. not that extreme but a lot longer than before. Jumping back 6 seconds fixes it up right away.

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
litzdog911 said:
This is sounding like a problem with your tuner/amplifier, or perhaps some sort of DD5.1 audio incompatibility. What brand/model is it?
Well, here's a list of facts that may help with this situation:

1.- I have a Samsung surround sound system HT-Q80 (http://www.samsung.com/Products/HomeTheater/HomeTheaterSystem/HT_Q80TXAA.asp)

2.- I am connected to this system via an optical cable.

3.- I have had this unit for about a month, but it only started having this problem after the firmware update from last week.

4.- If I connect the optical output from the TV to it while the TV is using its OTA antenna, there is no problem whatsoever.

5. If I connect to this surround sound unit via HDMI (instead of optical), it has the same problem.

I just finished recording a demonstration of this problem using my cell phone's built-in camcorder and have uploaded it for you guys to see.

To view it, you will need either Real Player or Quicktime, since it is in 3GPP2 format (using .3g2 extension).

In this video I demonstrate switching back and forth from channel to channel and you can see how long it takes for the audio to come on. In the last one, switching to the local Fox channel, it takes over 20 seconds for the sound to come in.

To download the video, click http://www.xomatech.com/directv.3g2

Don't worry, no viruses or anything. Please help!

Bernardo in Miami

· Icon
731 Posts
WOW! Nice TV.. and great video for phone!! What kind of phone do you have

I have optical out as well.. and repeated your experiment... sound shows up in just a second or two.

Tried a reset?

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slyster said:
WOW! Nice TV.. and great video for phone!! What kind of phone do you have

I have optical out as well.. and repeated your experiment... sound shows up in just a second or two.

Tried a reset?
Yes I did....several times...just like I have tried re-downloading the software. Last night the new firmware came down, but nothing has been fixed on my end.

If this had NEVER worked correctly, if this problem had been around since I got the HR20, I would think it to be a problem with my sound system or its ability to decode Dolby Digital signals....but I had it working perfectly for the couple of weeks I had it prior to the upgrade, I didn't change anything on my end, and after that upgrade it started screwing up.

I'm beginning to think that it might have something to do with the HDMI connection and my television. Whenever I change sources on my TV or I unplug the HDMI cable coming from the HR20 to the back of my TV, even though the optical cable remains connected directly to the sound system from the HR20, the sound cuts out for several seconds. Weird when you consider that, supposedly, the optical signal and HDMI signals are separate, no? It's like the HDMI cable is affecting the optical one.

As per my TV....thanks...it's a Samsung 50" 1080p DLP...got it just a month ago. The phone I have is a Treo 700p

Bernardo in Miami

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In order to determine once and for all if this issue is related to my sound system or the HR20, I temporarily replaced the HR20 with the H20-100 from my other room (using the optical connection)...and guess what?? It works perfectly!

With the H20, there is NO delay whatsover between the picture appearing and the sound playing. There is now NO DOUBT in my mind that this issue is caused by my HR20. I don't know whether or not mine is damaged or all of them would behave the same way in my room. But I do know now that indeed my HR20 is causing these issues.

Earl - what is your suggestion? Should I assume that it is damaged and put myself on the long DirecTV waiting list for a replacement? Would you happen to know what DirecTV did on that 0xDC update with the digital sound and/or HDMI that MIGHT have screwed things up for me? Could you check with them to see if, perhaps, they might have heard about this particular problem from other people?

Bernardo in Miami

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
I can confirm the same.....I have both a HR20 and H20 running thru a switch. (Video Storm CSM42). I have component for video and optical TosLink for audio. My Native is set to OFF and I can set both the H20 and HR20 on same program....flip back and forth and the HR20 has the audio problem.

Additionally, the HR20 gets intermitant crackles/noise for 5-10 seconds. I see the mainly on local HDs. There is a thread on this.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=681888&posted=1#post681888

I have 0xE3 installed.

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thekochs said:
I can confirm the same.....I have both a HR20 and H20 running thru a switch. (Video Storm CSM42). I have component for video and optical TosLink for audio. My Native is set to OFF and I can set both the H20 and HR20 on same program....flip back and forth and the HR20 has the audio problem.

Additionally, the HR20 gets intermitant crackles/noise for 5-10 seconds. I see the mainly on local HDs. There is a thread on this.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=681888&posted=1#post681888

I have 0xE3 installed.
Now that you mention it, you're right! If you notice on the video I submitted earlier in this post, right before the baseball game comes on at the end, you can hear a couple of instances where the sound comes in for like a millisecond and it pops out.

Once again, this has SOMETHING to do with the recent software updates because it DID NOT use to do this a couple of weeks ago!

Someone at DirecTV has to know about this!

Bernardo in Miami

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
roguebjp said:
Once again, this has SOMETHING to do with the recent software updates because it DID NOT use to do this a couple of weeks ago!

Someone at DirecTV has to know about this!

Bernardo in Miami
Actually, I saw it on 0xDC as well. I'm just joping they are not lumping the opitcal audio issues in with HDMI issues. I think they should work on both but clearly there are audio specific issues.....not sure how much is locals, encoding, etc. but clearly when RCA works fine and Toslink does not there is some audio issue in the HR20 firmware.

· Godfather
340 Posts
No problems here. It sounds like a local MPEG4 issue. I know when I first got my HD locals via the H20 almost a year ago they were not that great. Lip sync issues, pixelation issues, audio dropouts. But they have since worked the kinks out and are now virtually trouble free.

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Twosted said:
No problems here. It sounds like a local MPEG4 issue. I know when I first got my HD locals via the H20 almost a year ago they were not that great. Lip sync issues, pixelation issues, audio dropouts. But they have since worked the kinks out and are now virtually trouble free.
How is your audio hooked up ? Mine is HR20 Toslink/SP-DIF to Yamaha Receiver to speakers.

· Godfather
340 Posts
thekochs said:
How is your audio hooked up ? Mine is HR20 Toslink/SP-DIF to Yamaha Receiver to speakers.
HR20 Fiber optic to my Sony receiver. My audio on my TV is not used. I only use the audio straight from the HR20 via fiber optic (Toslink) to my Sony receiver.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.