DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read so much the past couple days my head hurts and i still dont think i've made my decision... the more i read, the more questions i have (i always want to make the best decision and over research every purchase i make, no matter what it is((took me 6 months to pick out an electric saver :bang))... it's a curse)

i currently have cable and i'm fed up with em...

i would like to know if there is some timing invovled in switching... i've noticed there are new HD channels coming sometime soon to one of the companies(i cant remember which is which and who is who anymore from all the reading haha)... couldn't find a date or what channels

this is what i'm looking for... 2 HD recievers, 1 HDDVR... i'm near Rochester, MN and would like those local channels if anyone knows if they're ever coming to HD... if not i would consider a close WI local HD channel as i'm a Packer fan and that's the only sports i watch...

i'll take the premium channels they give for free but will cancel as soon as the 3 months is up... i don't need any of those channels... that's what i have netflix for... and i'd like to keep my costs down (one of the many reasons i'm leaving cable)

does someone have a list of the current and coming soon HD channels to compare... i believe everything i've seen on the net is outdated... i record a LOT of shows...

i'll more than likely be looking into the choice xtra and americas top 200 price range...

also, when i do make the call to get it installed, do i suggest the receiver model so i'm not screwed into upgrading in a month or so? i don't trust big companies... i can see them giving me their old BS

hopefully it all makes sense what i'm looking for... again, my brain is shot... if there are questions please ask

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,456 Posts
P Smith is verbally challenged.

We can't tell you what's best for you.

Your first order of business is to investigate local channel coverage. DBS doesn't offer nearly the complement of "local" channels that cable typically does and neither gets all of them. If subchannels are needed, you'll want to seek out equipment that has OTA tuner capability. DIRECTV HD receivers and DVRs require an external box while DISH Network equipment uses internal OTA tuners.

DBS is NOT going to get you nearby channels at this time. "Significantly Viewed" is, for the moment, a relative cable exclusive (unless you can get them OTA).

DIRECTV does NOT offer HD locals in area 55902 (a random Rochester Zip code). You can check your zip code here: http://www.directv.com/locals

DISH Network is supposed to be adding Rochester HD some time next month.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
P Smith said:
YOu should find a lot of posts where ppl compare. In short - DTV: sport; dish: cheaper.
While I don't think there's a lot of argument about sports programming being DirecTV's forte, it is certainly not the case that Dish is necessarily cheaper.

Dish will tend to be cheaper for smaller, simpler systems (no HD, no DVR, 4 rooms or less), but DirecTV is often less expensive for larger or more technically-advanced systems. You have to actually run the numbers for your desired configuration to see. And since there's a 2-year commitment involved, it's best to project out all costs for 2 years, and total it up.

People who haven't done this may be in for a surprise...

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks harsh and battlezone...

p smith, i can see his point... sorry... and with 7000+ posts... wow

harsh, where do you see that dish is adding rochester next month to their local lineup... is there an updated list somewhere of soon-to-be-added channels with dates (local and HD)

i'm looking forward to the DIY channel that i see both of them offer... and it looks like i won't be loosing any of the channels i frequent... either one is going to be an upgrade from what i have

the weather will effect my reception... true or false?
i've had cable for a long time in fear of this... remember, i live in minnesota... a lot of snow and thunderstorms...

also, is the best place to place the dish on the house? i know the less the dish moves the better...

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Realist said:
dish is adding rochester next month to their local lineup...

i'm looking forward to the DIY channel that i see both of them offer...

the weather will effect my reception... true or false?

i've had cable for a long time in fear of this... remember, i live in minnesota... a lot of snow and thunderstorms...

also, is the best place to place the dish on the house? i know the less the dish moves the better...
Dont count on promises from either company. If its not available now, make arrangements for picking them up using an OTA tuner. DirecTv and Dish both offer them.

Weather will affect your reception during storms which show to be RED on your local doppler radar, when that RED is between you and the satellite. The outages usually last less than a few minutes, and that is the time you should be watching your local station to see if you need to head to the basement :) Again, OTA is a good idea regardless of whether your locals are carried by the satellite. Winter isnt usually a problem, but wet heavy snow can knock out the signal. A dish heater, or having the dish pole mounted on the ground where you can easily knock off the snow is a good idea.

My preference is to NOT mount the dish on a roof, as it makes it very difficult to access in the event of a snowstorm. A side mount, if possible, in a protected area...or a pole mount with easy access would be my choices. Sometimes trees will be the final straw in where you HAVE to put it.

Being a Packer fan, you may be able to subscribe to the Sunday Ticket package provided by DirecTv and get the Packer games. You would have to check the blackout rules for your zip code. Im not sure how they work when you are in a neighboring state to the team. Im a Packer fan, but am in Arkansas, so dont have to worry about any local stations carrying the games.

·
Godfather
1,175 Posts
I just came from Dish. Don't forget to add 5.99 for locals and only the big 4 are in HD, CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX. With Direct I have 4 extra locals in HD total of 8. Add 10 dollars for HD programming for both . Add 7 dollars for each additional HD receiver with dish, 5 dollars for each additional SD receiver. Not sure what direct charges.
If you want to add a hard drive to your account add 39.99 activation fee with Dish. Direct is free.
If you watch sports on your RSN only expect 1/3 of the games in HD on Dish. 100% for Direct.
Here is a link to additional fees you may see with Dish. http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/legal/RCA.pdf
I almost forgot there is a 6 dollar extra fee per account for DVR service. So package price + 6 dollar DVR fee, + 10 dollar HD fee + 5.99 for locals then 7 dollars for each additional HD receiver. 17 dollars each additional DVR fee.
America's top 200, 53 dollars adds up to 69 dollars with HD+ locals and 1 DVR. 76 dollars for second HD receiver.

So far I'm more pleased with Direct. Dish has a lot more hidden fees you find out about once you sign the two year contract.

·
Godfather
499 Posts
camo said:
I just came from Dish. Don't forget to add 5.99 for locals and only the big 4 are in HD, CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX. With Direct I have 4 extra locals in HD total of 8. Add 10 dollars for HD programming for both . Add 7 dollars for each additional HD receiver with dish, 5 dollars for each additional SD receiver. Not sure what direct charges.
If you want to add a hard drive to your account add 39.99 activation fee with Dish. Direct is free.
If you watch sports on your RSN only expect 1/3 of the games in HD on Dish. 100% for Direct.
Here is a link to additional fees you may see with Dish. http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/legal/RCA.pdf

So far I'm more pleased with Direct. Dish has a lot more hidden fees you find out about once you sign the two year contract.
Regarding Dish Network fees. Locals are now included where available in the package prices. Additional non- dvr solo receivers are $7, HD or SD. 1 time 39.99 EHD fee covers all archive EHD's on your account and supplements, not replaces, the DVR's internal HD. Like with anything, If you come across fees you were not aware of, it is probably because of a lack of due dilegence on your part prior to signing on the dotted line.:(

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,456 Posts
Realist said:
harsh, where do you see that dish is adding rochester next month to their local lineup... is there an updated list somewhere of soon-to-be-added channels with dates (local and HD)
Rochester was announced during the last Charlie Chat. It is to be made possible by spotbeam A7 on E14. The list of markets to be added was:

Augusta, GA
Rochester, MN
San Angelo, TX
Shreveport, LA
Wichita, KS

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,456 Posts
camo said:
I just came from Dish. Don't forget to add 5.99 for locals and only the big 4 are in HD, CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX.
Locals are now included with DISH. LIL coverage is being expanded in many markets.
Not sure what direct charges.
DIRECTV charges $5 each for all.
DIRECTV doesn't allow you to "add" a drive -- you can only replace the internal drive with an externally connected drive. Switching drives demands that you reboot the DVR. If the DVR dies, all content on any drive recorded with the DVR is lost. DISH's external drive is a one-time charge and USB hard drives can be hot-swapped between HD DVRs.

DIRECTV 12 should facilitate adding more markets but some markets may have to shift around before it happens.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,456 Posts
Hutchinshouse said:
DIRECTV will have a TiVo HDDVR shortly.
Is "shortly" the new "soon"?

Don't bet on the new DIRECTiVo anytime soon. There's a non-negligible chance that it will never happen.

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you guys have been a lot of help... for some reason the message board stopped sending me notices of new posts after camo's...

also, during all the reading i did, i thought i read that g4 was in HD somewhere... i don't see it on dish or directs... is that also a coming soon?

Hutchinshouse... thanks for the link... have one for dish as well?

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Realist
I have been with Dish since 1997 and am getting ready to switch to DTV, primarily because of the new multi-room features available (record in one room, watch in any other room) plus Direct2PC (allows you to watch programs from DVR on any PC in home). Dish has announced TVeverywhere but hasn't denoted what boxes will provide this service. Also, DTV has a 1/2 off special now and get one HD DVR and one HD box for $99 through 7/14.

Finally, if you can hold out, there is a new HR24 box coming out that provides ultra-fast channel switching and is smaller. That's due out in the next 30-60 days (supposedly mid-May). You can read a review of the HR24 box on the DTV forum on dbstalk.com

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,456 Posts
Realist said:
also, during all the reading i did, i thought i read that g4 was in HD somewhere... i don't see it on dish or directs... is that also a coming soon?
DISH Network added G4 HD one week ago.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.