DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently switched from TiVo after many years to the new HR20.

I'm at work right now and can't confirm my version number, however it was installed last Thursday, and during the installation it downloaded an update at that time.

I'm having a few problems figuring out a few seemingly basic things with the unit and I'm looking for help.

1. When I do a "Search" for a program. For instance "Lost'. It will return two results for channel 6 (my local ABC out of Indianapolis). One will be in HD, the other will not be. In the guide, channel 6 shows up twice as well IN-6 and WRTV. I have been able to create a 'custom channel list' to exclude the non-HD from the guide. However, the non-HD result still shows up in the Search. It wouldn't be so bad if the HD logo was included along with the title in the Search results, but I have to click in and see the description to figure out which is HD.

Q. How do I limit the search results to just channels in my 'custom list' or otherwise limit results to HD if more than one result is returned.

2. Continuing with the "Lost" example. When I was setting up my new DVR, I put in a "Record Series" for Lost on both the HD and non-HD local channels. They both now show up in my Prioritizer, but I can't figure out how to edit/delete them. They are both showing up currently with 'No Episodes Set to Record" (or whatever the appropriate label is to signify that.). It missed this week's episode

I went through the guide to next Wednesday and noted that the Lost episode didn't have the orange R on it, so I set it up to record, and even though I told it to record the series, it only put a single circle on the guide data for Lost instead of the multi-circle that all other "Series" have.

Q. How do I edit/remove items from the Prioritizer.

I'm still trudging along, trying to learn the new system. There are definite things that I like about it over TiVO, but I'm having a tough time grasping some of the things that seem like they should be basic.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but if I could get these few answered they may help me figure out others on my own.

Thanks,
Duane-O

· Icon
968 Posts
have you read the manual? most of this stuff is covered very well in the manual.

1. there really isn't a need for a "search" to set up a series link (SL). just pop up the guide, hit menu, go to wednesday @ ~9pm or so, go to your HD abc station in the guide, highlight the lost entry and press the R button 2x. a SL will be added to Lost on that channel only and will record using your default series link options (the manual describes how to set these). if you want to tweak the SL you can do so from the prioritizer.

if you like using searches or aren't sure of the air date/time.... you can do the same thing from the search results window. just highlight the show on the desired channel and press the R button 2x.

you can't create a customized list that it only records from those channels, at least right now you can't.

2. you have to be patient. the to-do lists and prioritizer lists aren't updated instantly. if you manually pressed the record button from the guide and it added a single R next to it... you set a single record, it isn't going to be associated with the SL of the same show. doing both is redundant.

3. how do you edit them? you select them and change the recording options as you see fit.

you really need to have a look at the manual and browse through the stickies and FAQs on here... you will find answers to 99% of your questions.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the-sloth said:
have you read the manual? most of this stuff is covered very well in the manual.

1. there really isn't a need for a "search" to set up a series link (SL). just pop up the guide, hit menu, go to wednesday @ ~9pm or so, go to your HD abc station in the guide, highlight the lost entry and press the R button 2x. a SL will be added to Lost on that channel only and will record using your default series link options (the manual describes how to set these). if you want to tweak the SL you can do so from the prioritizer.

you can't create a customized list that it only records from those channels, at least right now you can't.

2. you have to be patient. the to-do lists and prioritizer lists aren't updated instantly. if you manually pressed the record button from the guide and it added a single R next to it... you set a single record, it isn't going to be associated with the SL of the same show. doing both is redundant.

3. how do you edit them? you select them and change the recording options as you see fit.

you really need to have a look at the manual and browse through the stickies and FAQs on here... you will find answers to 99% of your questions.
I have had a look through the manual. And while I know that it's possible to do a Series Link on the guide, that is hardly the most efficient way. For starters you need to know the channel and the time, which I often do not.

Also, with Lost, last night if I wanted to setup a series for Lost, I would have needed to pull up the guide and 'page forward' 12 times (twice a day for the next 6 days), just to get to the time slot for next Wednesday.

I know for certain that I selected Series Record when I selected the Lost episode from next week, but perhaps it's just the lag time you mentioned. It still doesn't explain why Lost is showing up twice in my prioritizer with both listings saying "None scheduled"

As far as editing them. I'm not sure hot to 'select them' in the prioritizer for editing. When I highlight and 'select' them, it allows me to move them up and down the list, but not edit any options or delete it.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
doconner said:
Also, with Lost, last night if I wanted to setup a series for Lost, I would have needed to pull up the guide and 'page forward' 12 times (twice a day for the next 6 days), just to get to the time slot for next Wednesday.
As far as editing them. I'm not sure hot to 'select them' in the prioritizer for editing. When I highlight and 'select' them, it allows me to move them up and down the list, but not edit any options or delete it.
To quickly move around the guide.... Hit Menu; Select Date and Time... then select the date and time you want to jump the guide to.

When you are in the prioritizier, AND there are episodes available of the show. When having the show highlighted, you can hit SELECT and it will bring you to the show's program information... then go to the record menu to edit it.

If you just want to delete it: highlight the show in the pioritizer and hit "-" "-"

As for the Search result... no right now you can't filter them based on your favorite listings.... "genearly" the first listing for the channel is the HD channel.

· Icon
968 Posts
doconner said:
I have had a look through the manual. And while I know that it's possible to do a Series Link on the guide, that is hardly the most efficient way. For starters you need to know the channel and the time, which I often do not.

Also, with Lost, last night if I wanted to setup a series for Lost, I would have needed to pull up the guide and 'page forward' 12 times (twice a day for the next 6 days), just to get to the time slot for next Wednesday. if you feel a search is more efficient, thats totally preference.... just wanted you to know there are other ways. i like to keep my "recent search" list nice and tidy so, i don't use it for things like this. i know you can delete them, i just prefer my method.

I know for certain that I selected Series Record when I selected the Lost episode from next week, but perhaps it's just the lag time you mentioned. It still doesn't explain why Lost is showing up twice in my prioritizer with both listings saying "None scheduled"

when in the guide, you can press the menu button and select a date/time for which to "jump to".

i'm not really sure why you would want to set up 2 series links for the same show... but regardless, if you give it time... it will populate assuming that you don't have SLs/autorecords that are higher in the priority list that air in the same date/time slot.

what you're doing is reordering the prioritizer... if you just hit the arrow button one more time you can highlight the item itself and select it as i described.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.