DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Icon
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HR10 died last week and now I have an HR20. I have poked around and found that padding a recording has issues. I use that feature a lot. I know some people record their program along with the following one to get their overtime. I think this would be a pain in the neck since you would have to remember what was scheduled after the show you wanted to watch. My idea is to use the manual mode for sports events and just set it for the total amount of time I want. Any issues with manual record?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
I've never seen the issue with padding that others have had. A couple times I've set up the next show to record after a football game after I heard people were having padding issues and it's easy to do from the guide. Just hit the RECORD button when you are highlighting the game and move over to the show after it and hit RECORD on that. Simple. Done.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Since clocks are not clocks everywhere, everything we record is padded. Have not had any problems with regular network (broadcast or cable) with a minute or two of padding on each end. Works great. Warning, does not always work correctly on sports programs where you typically would pad by an extra hour.

And one thing I love about the HR20 is that we can set a default pad for all recordings. To set the defaults, select something to record using the select button (rather than the REC button), pick either record once or Rec. Series, then hit the menu button. A new context menu, Record Defaults, will appear along with most of the normal menu items. Select that and you can change Episode Type (First, Repeats, Both); Keep at Most; Keep until; Start (padding); and Stop (padding).

Go for it!
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Manual recurrings have been fixed again and record as expected. There are some design issues with the concept of retaining manual recordings, but the Tivos have the same problem. I've run thru my battery of manual recurring recording tests and been pleased with the results.

Fear them not, at least in 0x10b...

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
One neat thing which I believe works, but have not tested it myself. If you do in fact record two programs AFTER a football game on the same channel, then padding the FIRST program so that it runs longer should NOT interfere with the second program.

Say the program is on CBS on Sunday (schedule may be wrong):

Football -> 60 minutes -> The Amazing Race

back to back programs on CBS

If you want to record 60-minutes with a padding of an extra 30 minutes after it is over, The Amazing Race will start recording at it's normal time slot. You should have an extra 30-mintes to 60-minutes (making it 90-minutes instead :) ) and The Amazing Race should also include the 30-minutes of padding that show up in 60-minutes.

In theory, you could do this all evening by padding each show by the desired time amount. Milominderbinder2 determined that this worked, but again, I have not tested it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Doug,

I have not thoroughly tested this, but it has worked for me on one of those marathon days we've had lately.

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.