DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had many problems with making recordings using the manual setting for recurring programs on the HR20. One problem is with news shows that are 2 to 3 hrs long and I want only 1 hour, and talk shows that repeat 3 times a day. The HR20 doesn't recognize the additional showings as repeats. So I get the same thing recorded three times each day even though I only set one hour of one show. HR20 seems to want to handle it like a soap opera. In the case of shortening a news show from 3 hrs to only one hour, often it just will not record it or I will get is defined in the TO DO LIST as "Name not available" and it will not record. The issue is that you can't use the SERIES LINK feature that is available for weekly shows such as "Lost".

Another problem is deleting a manual recurring program that I want to change or that I put in by mistake. I finally figured out this can sometimes be done using the PRIORITIES page. Of course, that is totally wierd.

Because of all this, my TO DO LIST is just a mess.

I have used a lot of manual recordings on VCR's and a DVD recorder and have never had this problem before. I am used to just setting whatever I want (station, time and days) and it always works.

The Tech people at DirectTv are no help at all. If I can't get this recording issue resolved, I may have to send this back as I have a few other isssues, too.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
38STAR said:
I have had many problems with making recordings using the manual setting for recurring programs on the HR20. One problem is with news shows that are 2 to 3 hrs long and I want only 1 hour, and talk shows that repeat 3 times a day. The HR20 doesn't recognize the additional showings as repeats. So I get the same thing recorded three times each day even though I only set one hour of one show. HR20 seems to want to handle it like a soap opera. In the case of shortening a news show from 3 hrs to only one hour, often it just will not record it or I will get is defined in the TO DO LIST as "Name not available" and it will not record. The issue is that you can't use the SERIES LINK feature that is available for weekly shows such as "Lost".

Another problem is deleting a manual recurring program that I want to change or that I put in by mistake. I finally figured out this can sometimes be done using the PRIORITIES page. Of course, that is totally wierd.

Because of all this, my TO DO LIST is just a mess.

I have used a lot of manual recordings on VCR's and a DVD recorder and have never had this problem before. I am used to just setting whatever I want (station, time and days) and it always works.

The Tech people at DirectTv are no help at all. If I can't get this recording issue resolved, I may have to send this back as I have a few other isssues, too.

Any help would be appreciated.
I think there are problems with recurring manual recordings. I have had no problems with single manual recordings, but recurring ones can be a problem. They are aware of the issue and are working on it (although I don't know what kind of priority this particular bug may have, given other more significant issues)

If this is the only "big" problem you are having, I wouldn't change boxes...they are low in stock right now and you might end up with no unit at all for a few weeks, or you could get lucky.

Unless you have some really bad major issues that you have seen others return their boxes for, I'd ride it out for a few weeks of updates and see what you think then.

·
Legend
221 Posts
I record Mad Money on CNBC Mon thru Fri at 5pm Central. It is also on two other times each night. When I select to record it normally, I get all three recordings, so I had to set up for a daily M-F manual recording. It worked for two nights and nothing since. Anyone solve this one yet?

·
AllStar
96 Posts
mgcsooner said:
I record Mad Money on CNBC Mon thru Fri at 5pm Central. It is also on two other times each night. When I select to record it normally, I get all three recordings, so I had to set up for a daily M-F manual recording. It worked for two nights and nothing since. Anyone solve this one yet?
No this seems to be an issue for everyone with manuel recordings. My question is do M-F manuel recordings work for anyone with an HR20?

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hasan said:
I think there are problems with recurring manual recordings. I have had no problems with single manual recordings, but recurring ones can be a problem. They are aware of the issue and are working on it (although I don't know what kind of priority this particular bug may have, given other more significant issues)

If this is the only "big" problem you are having, I wouldn't change boxes...they are low in stock right now and you might end up with no unit at all for a few weeks, or you could get lucky.

Unless you have some really bad major issues that you have seen others return their boxes for, I'd ride it out for a few weeks of updates and see what you think then.
Thanks for your comments. I have some smaller issues that I probably can live with, like not having AIR-IN connected yet and the 30 second fast forward. I already have a replacement box as the first one froze up several ltimes. I connected my old Samsung TS160 HD receiver to another TV and get the AIR channels on it. Unfortunately, that TV is not HD, but it works fine.

Do you think it would be a good idea to reformat the hard drive to clean things up, or should I leave it as it is? I might just cause more problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.