DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Legend
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to force a manual download trying to get 0xF6. I thought my eyes were playing tricks with my brain when I seen the screen (I got new contacts today and my eyes are still adjusting ;) ) Sure enough though, it's 0xFA that was downloaded. I checked here to see if anybody else had it and nobody did so hopefully Earl is still around tonight and can share some info about it with us.

Earl, any idea what's in 0xFA?

Attachments

· Legend
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After looking at it, the ""Searching for Satellite" message doesn't appear to a problem anymore. At least not at this point.

Also, I'm not getting the pink button on fast forward anymore. Again I don't know if this is truly fixed or not. I may not be be "recreating" the problem. I am not sure how it showed up before, but it's not showing up now.

Still no OTA :(

· Godfather
284 Posts
caimakale said:
So I decided to force a manual download trying to get 0xF6. I thought my eyes were playing tricks with my brain when I seen the screen (I got new contacts today and my eyes are still adjusting ;) ) Sure enough though, it's 0xFA that was downloaded. I checked here to see if anybody else had it and nobody did so hopefully Earl is still around tonight and can share some info about it with us.

Yikes, that's not good. That means they had enough negative feedback for critical problems with 0xF6 that they are rushing a new update? Or they realized, post-release, there were major problems?

Hmm, maybe I'll force an update here and see what I wind up with. :) I have 0xF6 right now. Been working great all night, so I probably shouldn't tempt fate, but whatever! :D

Will report back shortly...

· Legend
191 Posts
I was expecting F6 as well, but FA is coming down. Im in austin.

· Godfather
284 Posts
caimakale said:

Sure enough, it said "Searching for software (00F6), then shortly after it said "New Software found (00FA)" and it's at 15% complete now. Interesting!

Hopefully Earl can shed some light on why a new release happened so fast.

0xEF was really good to me, and in some light recording/watching tonight 0xF6 wasn't bad either...Hopefully 0xF6 doesn't bite anyone in the ass before the FA pushout can happen.

· Legend
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jkc120 said:
Sure enough, it said "Searching for software (00F6), then shortly after it said "New Software found (00FA)" and it's at 15% complete now. Interesting!

Hopefully Earl can shed some light on why a new release happened so fast.

0xEF was really good to me, and in some light recording/watching tonight 0xF6 wasn't bad either...Hopefully 0xF6 doesn't bite anyone in the ass before the FA pushout can happen.
Prior to 0xEF my HR20 worked great. After the HR20, it still continued to work really well, but I had the searching for satellite bug that happened daily. Nothing major, nothing that I wanted to complain about. But in my testing so far with 0xFA everything is working great. No problems with mpeg4 playback (How I Met Your Mother), or SD playback. Channels don't appear to change any faster, it's still slow. I am not saying it's a bug, but per the release notes for 0xF6, they don't seem to be any quicker than previous updates.

· Godfather
284 Posts
caimakale said:
Prior to 0xEF my HR20 worked great. After the HR20, it still continued to work really well, but I had the searching for satellite bug that happened daily. Nothing major, nothing that I wanted to complain about. But in my testing so far with 0xFA everything is working great. No problems with mpeg4 playback (How I Met Your Mother), or SD playback. Channels don't appear to change any faster, it's still slow.
How about OTA? I don't plan on using it, but I'm sure folks would love to know if D* snuck this one in one everyone as a Thanksgiving present. :lol:

· Legend
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jkc120 said:
How about OTA? I don't plan on using it, but I'm sure folks would love to know if D* snuck this one in one everyone as a Thanksgiving present. :lol:
Nope, no OTA...That was the first thing that came to mind. I thought DTV might save Thanksgiving after all for tyrap. ;)

Guess not.

· Godfather
284 Posts
Since this might wind up as the start of the 0xFA discussion thread, I thought I'd throw in a few observations:

1. trick play still works great (4x FFWD, faster 30s slip, better skip back)
2. pseudo-unwatchable scenario still exists (thanks btmoore). That is, I can still play a show to the end, select "yes, delete" and it will remain in the playlist. Playing it emulates the unwatchable bug as it did in 0xEF and 0xF6.
3. It's hard to quantify, but skip back feels smoother on MPEG4 now than it had been. Usually, on SD streams, using 30s slip and then hitting skip back a few times works very smoothly. But it was a bit laggy on the MPEG4 HD streams. It seems much better now. I can hit the skip back button faster in succession and they take. I had to wait a half a second before between button pushes.
4. Channel changing is about the same as 0xF6 (3-4 seconds with native off)
5. Dolby Digital toggle works still
6. I don't use close captioning, but I tried it to see if I could follow it, and it does seem followable (I used it on NBC, Conan O'Brien)
7. Pink trick play icon is still there :lol:
8. No OTA obviously. :/

I think that's about it. No obvious defects, which is good. I hope it's as good to me as 0xEF was :)

· Icon
714 Posts
As I was watching a recording, the software is coming down. This is the first time I get the update before Earl's release notes. Supposedly still no OTA.

Edit: I tried to use the machine for a while already. I can't tell any difference. I wonder if the release notes will say "misc. reliability improvement". (At least, nothing seems to be messed up, yet.)

· Godfather
279 Posts
Dusty said:
As I was watching a recording, the software is coming down. This is the first time I get the update before Earl's release notes. Supposedly still no OTA.
Ditto.

I don't know why we got Oxf6 just yesterday, and now this today.

· Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
Same here, while watching a recording a message appeared requesting permission to receive an update. Granted the request 2 minutes later download began.

· Godfather
305 Posts
shaun-ohio said:
yep got mine here in ohio at 4:45 this morning, just got up and saw the little blue light spinning and knew it was doing something,
Just got up and both mine got it at 4:45 am

· Icon
714 Posts
james_stewart said:
I just got mine as well. I think i'm picking up channel 598 for free now...w00t!
Did you park your channel at 598 during the reboot?

I had mine parked at HBO. When it rebooted, the program that I expected to be locked out by parental control was showing, although the parental control dialog did pop up. This makes me wonder if this is a confirmed loop hole.

· Icon
777 Posts
I wonder if D* found a bug in the code last night. I tried a download of 0xF6 and never got past 0%. They may have pulled it and pushed out 0xFA instead.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.