DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me, but I can't remember this. With all games being broadcasted on tv now and no longer necessitating the Mega March Madness package did Directv do a Mix channel with the 4 channels on it last year? Are they planning one this year?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,834 Posts
zimm7778 said:
Forgive me, but I can't remember this. With all games being broadcasted on tv now and no longer necessitating the Mega March Madness package did Directv do a Mix channel with the 4 channels on it last year? Are they planning one this year?
Yes, channel 600 per Inside DirecTV February/March issue.

Also Interactive Brackets on channel 701.

·
Godfather
480 Posts
"Red Dog" said:
I assume this isn't a true MM mix channel but the regular 8-channel sports mix including the Turner channels but no CBS?
I would imagine. Believe that's the way it was last year. I have to admit. I really miss the way MM used to be covered. Watching the games on CBS as they switched you around as games were close and finishing up.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Red Dog said:
I assume this isn't a true MM mix channel but the regular 8-channel sports mix including the Turner channels but no CBS?
Only 4 games are on at a given time...CBS, TruTV, TNT & TBS.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"FenixTX" said:
I would imagine. Believe that's the way it was last year. I have to admit. I really miss the way MM used to be covered. Watching the games on CBS as they switched you around as games were close and finishing up.
Me too but I was castrated for saying that on this board last year. Really what I'm going to miss is a case like what I have Friday night. Today I won tickets to go sit in a luxury box for the Arena Football game here. I am going to record CBS while I'm out and watch Saturday morning but obviously I'll miss other stuff because we don't get that whip around we used to. That's why I wish even with this setup there was some premium service D* could do resembling RZC or the old strike zone channel. I'd be willing to pay $20 for the weekend.

·
Icon
1,569 Posts
FenixTX said:
I hated the switching on CBS because the MM channel that was showing the game that was nominally on the local CBS station was blacked out. When they jumped around, the game was still blacked out on MM. If CBS left the game entirely, the blackout was lifted, but it took far too long in many cases to lift the blackout on the MM channel.

I much prefer having all of the games shown in their entirety - each on its own channel - with the scores of the other games rotating in a bug in the corner of the screen. That way, I can jump from game to game or stay on the game I am watching at my own discretion, instead of having CBS or my local CBS affiliate dictate what I should watch.

My local CBS station would rather show reruns of Andy Griffith than show a Kentucky game in its entirety.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"fleckrj" said:
I hated the switching on CBS because the MM channel that was showing the game that was nominally on the local CBS station was blacked out. When they jumped around, the game was still blacked out on MM. If CBS left the game entirely, the blackout was lifted, but it took far too long in many cases to lift the blackout on the MM channel.

I much prefer having all of the games shown in their entirety - each on its own channel - with the scores of the other games rotating in a bug in the corner of the screen. That way, I can jump from game to game or stay on the game I am watching at my own discretion, instead of having CBS or my local CBS affiliate dictate what I should watch.

My local CBS station would rather show reruns of Andy Griffith than show a Kentucky game in its entirety.
Oh really, they blacked out the local CBS game on the package channel for that also? I never subbed to that package so I had no idea. Yeah that would suck. Really I just wish there was an HD Mix channel (since apparently there isn't one) and something like what CBS used to do. That's the main reason I miss them all being on one network.

·
Godfather
322 Posts
Showing games on TruTV is a joke. You couldn't pay me to watch the stuff on that channel, so the ploy of drawing me there to watch basketball while shilling their programs is wasted effort. I'm on the Select package, and TruTV isn't even included. I miss the days of all CBS b/c the Kansas City affiliate would simulcast 2 or 3 games at a time using digital subchannels. My TV tuner with PiP allowed me to keep track of multiple games at the same time while still enjoying full, beautiful CBS HD.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
KSbugeater said:
Showing games on TruTV is a joke. You couldn't pay me to watch the stuff on that channel, so the ploy of drawing me there to watch basketball while shilling their programs is wasted effort. I'm on the Select package, and TruTV isn't even included. I miss the days of all CBS b/c the Kansas City affiliate would simulcast 2 or 3 games at a time using digital subchannels. My TV tuner with PiP allowed me to keep track of multiple games at the same time while still enjoying full, beautiful CBS HD.
The subchannels were sucking bandwidth away from that main channel too. It was not "full, beautiful CBS HD."

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
KSbugeater said:
Showing games on TruTV is a joke.
Well, given that there need to be three widely-distributed Turner-owned channels carrying games -- presumably you don't have a problem with TBS and TNT, but which third Turner channel would you find less hilarious? CNN? HLN? I think using those for basketball would be even more of a joke.

·
Godfather
480 Posts
"trainman" said:
Well, given that there need to be three widely-distributed Turner-owned channels carrying games -- presumably you don't have a problem with TBS and TNT, but which third Turner channel would you find less hilarious? CNN? HLN? I think using those for basketball would be even more of a joke.
I was surprised CBS didn't want to have games in CBS Sports Network and not TruTV. CBS, CBS Sports Network, TBS and TNT made more sense to me. Guess Turner paid more money and therefore wanted games on three of their channels?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.