DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legend
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come dish doesn't make a Master DVR / Slave recevier similar to Verizons FIOS system?

I think it would be great.

Features:
2 Sat Tuners
1 OTA Tuner
Supports up to 4 receivers to access DVR programs
1 slave model for SD (SD model should downconvert HD programming)
1 slave model for HD
Monster Sized hard Drive to store >50 hours HD or >400 hours SD or MORE
Each receiver shall also have it's own Sat tuner to view live programming

·
Hall Of Fame
3,989 Posts
There has been talk that the 622 +211 could be interconnected this way using the ethernetport. Has not been officially acknowledged.

·
Super Moderator
53,720 Posts
At the moment they cannot be connected in this way. (OK, you can connect the cables but nothing special happens.)

It is a good idea and I would not be suprised to see this in a future release WAY down the road.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,969 Posts
Cokeswigga said:
How come dish doesn't make a Master DVR / Slave recevier similar to Verizons FIOS system?
The ViP622 is actually better than what FIOS is currently offering in their Multi-Room DVR in that the ViP622 can put out live non-OTA content to the "slave" room(s) where the FIOS system offers only recorded content to the slave(s).

From what I read about the FIOS Multi-Room DVR, they had the ViP622 squarely in their sights.

The TiVo Multi-Room Viewing feature is very close to the server model that you're talking about. Ideally, HD content could be shared; something that the TiVo S3 can't currently do.

The danger of a system like this is that undoubtedly someone with a pokey wireless or power line setup is going to be screaming bloody murder because their network isn't up to the task.

·
Legend
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be nice if I didn't have to switch the channel on the tv, change the mode on the remote to watch a program on the other DVR. (and have a complicated wiring diagram.)

It would really be cool, if the DVR's could share programs, and move stuff around.
Then I could use the 510 for SD recording only and the 622 for HD recording only.

I was considereing the FIOS option... but I am not quite convinced.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,989 Posts
My TiVo's can share (transmitt program through ethernet) programs between units. It is tied to my account, other person's TiVos cannot receive my programs. Transmission is just slower than viewing speed, so you have to start it about 10 minutes then you can view it through without stopping to wait (Uses USB 1.1 ports, no built in ethernet).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.