DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
The channel was never "AUTOS" ... DISH changed the EPG name when they took the channel down.

MavTV was male oriented programming such as motorsports (motorcycles and automobiles).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
James Long said:
MavTV was male oriented programming such as motorsports (motorcycles and automobiles).
Spike was programming for men. MAV TV was programming for anyone interested in powersports.

·
Godfather
949 Posts
So, DISH dropped another channel, like they did with Ovation a few weeks. Nice to see bills going up and channels being dumped. Sometimes replaced with 24 hour ad channels or religious channels. And then there is the loss of the Pentagon Channel.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like to have all of us and I be put on a quick DISH survey about our opinion of what channels we watch, don't watch, want new channels.

I seem to think *WE* do not have a voice in how Dish decides how to answer above question for us. We pays the
dish bill and we get screwed.

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
nmetro said:
And then there is the loss of the Pentagon Channel.
The Pentagon Channel ceased satellite distribution. Our tax dollars no longer at work.

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
harsh said:
Spike was programming for men. MAV TV was programming for anyone interested in powersports.
Velocity is quite good too.
Lots of automobile programs.

Reactions: mnassour

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
James Long said:
The Pentagon Channel ceased satellite distribution. Our tax dollars no longer at work.
They went streaming and on demand only now.
We got a letter in the mail.

That's one benifit of our small cable provider, we know at least a month before any channel removal or addtions.
That's what I call respect.
That's the difference when its a family ran and owned business.

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
damondlt said:
That's the difference when its a family ran and owned business.
If you are applauding your cable company don't forget that they fall under different laws and franchise rules.
Not everything a cable company does is out of the goodness of their heart. :)

Reactions: KyL416

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
What's your point , maybe your favorite company needs some rules of its own.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
damondlt said:
What's your point , maybe your favorite company needs some rules of its own.
I can't speak to that... but my father had Time Warner cable for years... and they never told him when channels were added or being dropped. He usually found out when I read about it someplace like here or AVSForum and passed the news along to him. So, Time Warner proved to be as bad as Dish at communicating channel lineup changes in my experience.

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
Stewart Vernon said:
I can't speak to that... but my father had Time Warner cable for years... and they never told him when channels were added or being dropped. He usually found out when I read about it someplace like here or AVSForum and passed the news along to him. So, Time Warner proved to be as bad as Dish at communicating channel lineup changes in my experience.
So 2 wrongs make it okay?
Even directv warns it's customers of disputes.
So your saying James post is irrelevant because Time Warner is cable, and they have to follow special rules, correct?
So my local cable company that is family owned with 6 stock holders has to follow rules which is why the are forced to notify it's customers, but Time Warner doesn't?

Sound like a lot of fluff to me.
Last time I checked satellite has the tougher restrictions.

Trust me Stewart, I believe you about Time Warner
But James isn't going to tell me that my Local Blue ridge is forced to notify it's customers of changes by law when clearly that is not the case for anyone other cable provider.

Does Time Warner require 24 month commitments?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,391 Posts
It depends on the laws of your state or local area. i.e. In NY there's a law requiring 30 days advanced notice, so they have a section that lists all upcoming potential expirations on their website:
http://help.twcable.com/twc_programming_notices.html

Cablevision, the other major provider in the NYC area, doesn't put them online, but they have banners go up on their scrolling channel guide along with mailings that reference the laws requiring them to notify subscribers.

In some states they also have to put these notices in the legal notices section of the local newspapers. i.e. there's frequently legal notices from Comcast in the Scranton Times-Tribune.

damondlt said:
Even directv warns it's customers of disputes.
An hour of dueling tickers on the Viacom channels right before they were pulled = advanced warning? And that was only after Viacom went public with their attacks in the final hours.

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
I don't see the issue.
All providers should be forced by law to notify it's customers of changes.

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
KyL416 said:
It depends on the laws of your state or local area. i.e. In NY there's a law requiring 30 days advanced notice, so they have a section that lists all upcoming potential expirations on their website:
http://help.twcable.com/twc_programming_notices.html

In some states they also have to put these notices in the legal notices section of the local newspapers.

An hour of dueling tickers on the Viacom channels = advanced warning? And that was only after Viacom went public with their attacks in the final hours.
Um Viacom we knew well in advance they were dropping those channels if agreements weren't made.
I don't recall waking up to all of a sudden a blank screen out of the clear blue sky.
Or all of a sudden a mirrored channel in its spot to make it look like nothing happend,because Charlie thinks his customers are idiots.
But by all means if you can back it up go ahead.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,391 Posts
damondlt said:
But James isn't going to tell me that my Local Blue ridge is forced to notify it's customers of changes by law when clearly that is not the case for anyone other cable provider.
I'd hate to burst your bubble but here's just a sample of the various Franchise agreements Blue Ridge has in the state:
http://www.westearltwp.org/documents/chapterA188.pdf
http://ecode360.com/10719296
http://pcatv.wikispaces.com/file/view/East+Stroudsburg+Borough+Cable+Franchise+Agreement.pdf

Search for the lines "NOTICES" or "notify subscribers". If you want to find the one for your specific area google Blue Ridge Franchise Agreement and whatever your township or borough is, or search for it on your township's website, although some of the smaller townships don't have online archives so you might have to e-mail your township to get a copy.

Satellite doesn't use local right of ways or utility poles or need to get a franchise agreement to provide service to each state or township so they aren't subject to these laws. It's the same argument both Dish and DirecTV use whenever another state attempts to impose a tax for satellite subscribers.

damondlt said:
Um Viacom we knew well in advance they were dropping those channels if agreements weren't made.
Yeah "WE" knew in advanced because we follow sites like this and could see through the only public statement DirecTV was making at the time: "We have no plans to drop these channels". But the average viewer doesn't get that and the first actual on screen notice didn't happen until the night of the dueling tickers. Heck I challenge you, name one dispute where the first on screen notice actually came BEFORE the channels starting running ads telling you to switch providers?

AMC Networks, which ended up not happening at all, only got notice because AMC went public months in advanced.
Tribune: Didn't happen until the local stations and WGN America started running promos
The Weather Channel: Didn't happen until TWC went on full attack mode including cancelling their primetime entertainment programming that week to go live 24/7. (And in that case, DirecTV replaced it with a mirror of WeatherNation)

Cinemoi, INSP and New Music Channel: No warning at all. In INSP's case DirecTV quietly replaced it with a mirror of UP

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
I'm not reading all that mess.
In short again so what if state and townships are forced to give proper notification.
I don't see the problem.
I think that is a good benifit.

Trust me it doesn't burst my bubble.
This is what we get during disputes.
http://tvonmyside.com/blue-ridge-communications/index.php

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.