DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With an HR-21 if you turn the box off will it still record scheduled programs? With Tivo you had to keep the boxes on and just turn off the TV.

Also does turning the box on and off every night have any effect on the hardware?

Thanks

TK
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,417 Posts
The only thing that actually turns off are the outputs and the front panel lights, the DVR remains fully functional when "off". The difference in the power draw between off and on is less than five watts.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,044 Posts
Off is really a misnomer. It's more like being in standby.

It will still record scheduled shows and buffer live TV. :)


BTW, Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,276 Posts
TK1247 said:
With an HR-21 if you turn the box off will it still record scheduled programs? With Tivo you had to keep the boxes on and just turn off the TV.

Also does turning the box on and off every night have any effect on the hardware?

Thanks

TK
I think others have answered your questions... but I have to ask, who told you you need to keep tivo boxes on in order for them to record? You have to keep them plugged into power, but when they are turned off, or put in standby, they will still record..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,276 Posts
davring said:
The only thing that actually turns off are the outputs and the front panel lights, the DVR remains fully functional when "off". The difference in the power draw between off and on is less than five watts.
That was one thing I liked about my first generation Replaytvs..... They actually powered off, even the hard drive... they would spin up the hard drive at 45 after the hour every hour and double check guide data to see if it needed to record, so if no recording was going on, the unit was truly powered off for 97% of the hour, and therefore really actually saved power consumption...
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
inkahauts said:
...who told you you need to keep tivo boxes on in order for them to record? You have to keep them plugged into power, but when they are turned off, or put in standby, they will still record..
TiVo will record scheduled shows and season passes when in standby mode but it will not record new suggestions. Anyone who makes use of the TiVo suggestions recordings needs to leave the TiVo on and not just in standby mode. I presume that's the reason for the above advice.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inkahauts,

I was not to clear. When I am running a TIVO S2 with a D* box I have to keep the D* box on so that the TIVO can change the channels with the IR controls.

I might not have to but I figured if the box was not on TIVO could not change the channels.

Thanks for the help.

TK
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

MicroBeta, Thanks for the warm welcome. I usually just read the boards to see if any knows when I am going to finally get Fox News, AMC, and ESPNU in HD. :)

TK
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
inkahauts said:
That was one thing I liked about my first generation Replaytvs..... They actually powered off, even the hard drive... they would spin up the hard drive at 45 after the hour every hour and double check guide data to see if it needed to record, so if no recording was going on, the unit was truly powered off for 97% of the hour, and therefore really actually saved power consumption...
Of course, on DirecTV DVRs, doing the same thing would prevent maintaining a live buffer (including when in standby)... something that some people would not want to give up, but maybe for those who don't care about always maintaining a live buffer, there should be a "green mode" option of operation where the DVR will spin down the disk whenever it isn't needed for a scheduled recording after a certain number of hours of user non-interaction with the DVR.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,276 Posts
Nugget said:
TiVo will record scheduled shows and season passes when in standby mode but it will not record new suggestions. Anyone who makes use of the TiVo suggestions recordings needs to leave the TiVo on and not just in standby mode. I presume that's the reason for the above advice.
Ah, mine records tivo suggestions when in standby all the time... My unit is never out of standby unless I'm actually watching something...

TK1247 said:
Inkahauts,

I was not to clear. When I am running a TIVO S2 with a D* box I have to keep the D* box on so that the TIVO can change the channels with the IR controls.

I might not have to but I figured if the box was not on TIVO could not change the channels.

Thanks for the help.

TK
Now that makes sense!

cartrivision said:
Of course, on DirecTV DVRs, doing the same thing would prevent maintaining a live buffer (including when in standby)... something that some people would not want to give up, but maybe for those who don't care about always maintaining a live buffer, there should be a "green mode" option of operation where the DVR will spin down the disk whenever it isn't needed for a scheduled recording after a certain number of hours of user non-interaction with the DVR.
I agree... kind of like having a power saver mode on a tv... that would be a nice option..
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
118 Posts
cartrivision said:
Of course, on DirecTV DVRs, doing the same thing would prevent maintaining a live buffer (including when in standby)... something that some people would not want to give up, but maybe for those who don't care about always maintaining a live buffer, there should be a "green mode" option of operation where the DVR will spin down the disk whenever it isn't needed for a scheduled recording after a certain number of hours of user non-interaction with the DVR.
The TiVos, at least up to the series 2, do the same thing. No buffer (either one of them!) if the unit is in standby. I didn't know about the suggestions not recording in standby, and to tell the truth I kind of doubt that's true.

Also, let's not suggest having the disk spin down after inactivity. We've seen that the screensaver occasionally kicks in when it's not wanted. Besides, constant on is healthier for the disk in the long term over frequent spin-ups and spin-downs and DVRs need all the disk life they can get.

Tony
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
115 Posts
spartanstew said:
And it won't effect the hardware.
I know there are some super smart folks here at this forum and I am hoping that a question that is argued constantly with my IT crew, can be answered, in fact, it does pertain to the DVR's and computers in general. Here it goes: I have heard hundreds of people argue this very fact: Does keeping a computer or DVR on, make it last longer? Some say keeping it on constantly, does in fact help a computer or DVR, based on the fact that the components and hardware never have to cool down or heat back up, causing these parts to wear out from temperature changes and constant on and off cycles that will destroy some fragile parts over time. The other side argues that keeping a computer or DVR on all of the time, causes not only wasted energy, but the hard drive and other hardware to wear out sooner from the constant load and that the on/off cycle is a small price to pay compared to keeping it on day and night. I myself do keep computers and DVR's on day and night and I will say, I have never had a failed DVR or computer due to a hardware issue. Now, by no means do I agree with the "leave it on all the time" attitude, but it's a question that's made me wonder for some time......
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,417 Posts
5 ACES said:
I know there are some super smart folks here at this forum and I am hoping that a question that is argued constantly with my IT crew, can be answered, in fact, it does pertain to the DVR's and computers in general. Here it goes: I have heard hundreds of people argue this very fact: Does keeping a computer or DVR on, make it last longer? Some say keeping it on constantly, does in fact help a computer or DVR, based on the fact that the components and hardware never have to cool down or heat back up, causing these parts to wear out from temperature changes and constant on and off cycles that will destroy some fragile parts over time. The other side argues that keeping a computer or DVR on all of the time, causes not only wasted energy, but the hard drive and other hardware to wear out sooner from the constant load and that the on/off cycle is a small price to pay compared to keeping it on day and night. I myself do keep computers and DVR's on day and night and I will say, I have never had a failed DVR or computer due to a hardware issue. Now, by no means do I agree with the "leave it on all the time" attitude, but it's a question that's made me wonder for some time......
The jury is still out on this issue, has been for years:)
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
118 Posts
I've never had a hardware failure of any kind and I've always been a turn it on/leave it on sort. I don't do it for hardware life though, just because most of my boxes function as servers or have background disk cleanup tasks scheduled when I'm not around such as backups, virus scans, and of course the idle system processes like indexing and defragmentation. When will that stuff get done if it's constantly being powered down? Backups alone on my media server can run for 8+ hours! Daily virus scans are four hours and place an obvious performance hit on my nearly obsolete machine. Just seems like if you have time to power down a machine, it's being underutilized.

From what I understand of the TiVo OS, whether on standby or not the disk is constantly running and recording suggestions so it just makes sense to not put it in standby in case I want the buffer.

Tony
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
370 Posts
i'd like to make a mostly on-topic point: turning off your hr2x does more than just kill the lights and outputs. do this:

watch channel a. then switch to channel b. then go back and forth using the 'previous channel' button. okay, that works. then power off. when you power back on, channel a (or b, whichever you were watching when you powered off) will, as noted, be buffering. but, hit the 'previous channel' button. you get bonged. there is no 'previous channel' any more. so, some data gets cleared when you power off. that's the only one i've noticed, but there's probably more.

is this a bug? not even close. and it's completely trivial. but, for the sake of accuracy, it should be noted.

i'm off now to pick nits...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,044 Posts
InterMurph said:
According to my tests, the difference is a single watt:
I think the 2 got cut off on your quote. If I read your linked post correctly, it should be:

27 watts on "standby",
versus
7 watts on "standby",
It seems to me that there one watt difference is a little low but if that's what the meter showed it must be right.

I would have expected the difference be pretty low but not that low.

Weird...almost makes me wonder what putting the system in standby does. It certainly doesn't do anything for power consumption.

If it's for system maintaince, then how is it different then those of us that don't use stby?

Mike
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top