DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Legend
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know exactly where to post this, so I apologize if it is in the wrong forum. Since it has to do with D* I will attempt to post this here.

First, about my equipment. I have a Mitsubishi WD-52825 Diamond Edition DLP television. It has a built in recording device which will record hd and sd programming. Unfortunately, it will not record anything off of my H20 receiver. There seems to be some incompatability between the two pieces of electronics. I have been told that I have two options. I could pony up for the new HR20 dvr or I could pony up for a new receiver with firewire capability. Apparantly, the recording device should be able to decode the signal with this different wire. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I could use another receiver. My current receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR503. It isn't fancy, but it works fine. It just doesn't have any firewire or hdmi connections. So, I have been thinking of an upgrade for some time now. The HR20 purchase would lock me into another 2 years of commitment and I am trying to stay away from that. It would also be nice to finally use the built in recorder for something other than OTA recordings. Does anyone know? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Can this Mitsubishi TV's internal hard drive record from external AV inputs, or just its internal tuner? If it cannot, then there's no way to record DirecTV channels on its hard drive. An HR20 HD DVR has its own hard drive, of course, so that might be a good alternative.

·
Legend
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
litzdog911 said:
Can this Mitsubishi TV's internal hard drive record from external AV inputs, or just its internal tuner? If it cannot, then there's no way to record DirecTV channels on its hard drive. An HR20 HD DVR has its own hard drive, of course, so that might be a good alternative.
Great question! The answer is I don't know. I am going through my manuals and it reads as if it can. However, in order to do so I think the H20 would either have to have an IEEE 1394 firewire (which it doesn't) or I would have to somehow get the video and sound feeds into the receiver and then into the Mits via firewire. I don't even know if that is possible.

It is quite confusing. I think the MPEG4 is going to screw this up too, now that I really get to thinking about it. Damn, I don't want to have another 2 yr committment!

My tv can record from OTA and cable, but not D*. How frustrating is that?:eek2:
I purchased the tv at a good price, but part of the reason was the salesperson said that I could use it with D*. I think he lied.:mad:

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
According to the owner's manual that I found here ....
http://mitsubishi-tv.com/img/220544

this TV's integrated hard drive can record from its own tuners, a CableCard tuner, its Firewire/IEEE1394 input, and Inputs 1, 2 or 3. Inputs 1, 2 and 3 are analog composite/SVideo inputs, so they cannot be used to record HDTV-quality.

If you connect your H20 DirecTV Receiver to the TV's analog inputs (1, 2 or 3), you should be able to record to its hard drive. Of course, those recordings are only 480i standard definition. Furthermore, there's no way for the TV to control channel changes on the H20, so you'll have to manually set the channel you want to record. All in all I think an HR20 HD DVR would be much more convenient, and provides almost 3-times as much hard drive storage capacity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.