DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment building and we have a DirecTV Connected Properties MFH2 SWM setup with a Slimline 5LNB dish & an int'l dish. I have an HR22 receiver...

I'm having some guests for a birthday party and my friend wants to bring over his HR22-700 receiver for the evening that he has on his separate DirecTV account because we want to watch a program on a channel that he subscribes to but that I do not. (i.e. he subscribes to HBO but I don't)

Question: Will my friend's receiver work in my apartment if I configure the satellite setup correctly or does it have to be a "registered" MDU (multi dwelling unit) receiver in order to work on the MFH2 SWM setup that my building has?

Someone posted a very similar question on this but there was never a clear answer as to his question whether receivers used on an MFH2 SWM setup have to be officially registered to work.

<http://www.dbstalk.com/archive/index.php/t-186375.html>

· MANC
1,504 Posts
I would just connect a computer to the TV and use my friends HBO GO account.

Or if you have a Samsung Smart TV thats internet connected you dont need the computer just the app.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Shades228 said:
Chances are what you're intending to do would violate the ToS. I would call up and see if they have a special on HBO and even if they don't $15.99 for a month will get you what you want and how to do it properly.
I am not an employee and I believe this can be done without a conflict since only one receiver is going to be used.
First the receiver to be moved needs to go thru the satellite setup and write down all the settings, the same needs to be done with the unit that is not going to be used. Then the moved one neeeds to be set up like the one you are removing to make room for the borrowed one. ETC, Etc, Etc.
Bottom line is it appears to be way too much trouble to do all of this to watch one thing in a different place.
I agree with Shades228,
I would call and see how much it would be for a Month, they might even give you a free trial for a week, depending on how long of a customer you have been.
$15.99 is cheaper than all the possible problems you might have moving all the equipment around.
We see many many post with problems when they just moved the receiver to the other side of the room, etc.
Good luck

· Legend
225 Posts
When I took the SBCA course on MFH2 I remember that the very first slide in the course was about signal piracy and showed a nice picture of a prison watch tower and concertina wire fences. The portion of that slide that pertains here would be misrepresenting the location of the receiver. There were some other scary stuff on there but those are more blatantly obvious. So Dish/Directvs response on this would not be favorable.

Having said that would it work of course, would I have it hooked with an internet connection, NO. Someone mentioned HBO GO, I bet they would think that is the same for that as moving the receiver. I do remember reading an article about a year ago that Netflix might start cracking down on people that "shared" the service in a similar fashion to what you want to do.

· Hall Of Fame
2,510 Posts
bigglebowski said:
When I took the SBCA course on MFH2 I remember that the very first slide in the course was about signal piracy and showed a nice picture of a prison watch tower and concertina wire fences. The portion of that slide that pertains here would be misrepresenting the location of the receiver. There were some other scary stuff on there but those are more blatantly obvious. So Dish/Directvs response on this would not be favorable.

Having said that would it work of course, would I have it hooked with an internet connection, NO. Someone mentioned HBO GO, I bet they would think that is the same for that as moving the receiver. I do remember reading an article about a year ago that Netflix might start cracking down on people that "shared" the service in a similar fashion to what you want to do.
Except if the person who had the subscription to HBO was present, then it would seem to be perfectly legitimate to use HBO GO an a PC and hook it up to the TV.

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DogLover said:
Except if the person who had the subscription to HBO was present, then it would seem to be perfectly legitimate to use HBO GO an a PC and hook it up to the TV.
i think i'll use your HBO GO PC recommendation since it sounds like it would not violate the terms of service. thanks for the recommendation!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.