DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a media share question that I searched for over an hour to and came up empty.

Here goes, I installed TVersity this morning and it works great streaming my videos as long as I don't want to FFwd or Rewind. From what I've read is that TVersity is too busy transcoding my files to act on the FFwd or Rewind request. My question is that if I first convert the video into something the HDDVR can view natively, without Tversity having to trancode on the fly, will FFwd and Rewind be available? If so, what format do I need to convert to and what PC programs are best to accomplish this with?

And if FFwd and Rewind won't be available on Tversity streamed videos, no matter what, does it work with Twonky, Playon or another video server? And if it does, which one?

Lots of questions, I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
When Media Share first came out, it supported the (now-obsolete) Intel Viiv media server (which required a computer with a special Intel chip) that allowed FF/RW. Other than that, these features are not supported, unfortunately.

· Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
I'm not sure what the missing link is. . . I can access movies via TVersity on the iPad browser and send them to AppleTV via airplay and have full control via the scrub bar on the iPad or iPhone.

I gave up on MediaShare after getting tired of watching the same part of movies and got an ATV.

· Registered
16,423 Posts
dennisj00 said:
I'm not sure what the missing link is. . . I can access movies via TVersity on the iPad browser and send them to AppleTV via airplay and have full control via the scrub bar on the iPad or iPhone.

I gave up on MediaShare after getting tired of watching the same part of movies and got an ATV.
Same here, gave up on MediaShare years ago.

· AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dennisj00 said:

What is an ATV?

· AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RunnerFL said:
They'll play anything you can get into iTunes, not limited at all. And what you can't put into iTunes you can convert to an iTunes format easily.
There are many, many things you cannot get into itunes. iTunes is very limited format wise.

But thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I usually watch videos using my Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray player. It handles nearly every format (at higher bit rates than Media Share can do) and also supports Netflix, Hulu, etc. FF/RW work, but are a bit flakey (sometimes going backward instead of forward).

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
Same here;

MediaShare is frankly a disaster. Can't get it to work with anything above Tversity v1.8. And in addition to no FF/REW capability, if I try to pause the playback for over maybe two minutes, it will drop the file playback altogether when I attempt to restart.

And of course there is no way to resume from the point it dropped out and you must start from the beginning again. :rolleyes:

· AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RunnerFL said:
I have yet to find media I can't get into iTunes.
Yes, if you transcode first. By why do that if you don't have to, its a waste of time. I'll just stick with my Samsung Blue ray player and my samsung TV, if I pick up another Blue ray on the used market, all of my TV's will be covered. Media share would have been a nice solution, but I guess its just not to be.

· Registered
16,423 Posts
bengalfreak said:
Yes, if you transcode first. By why do that if you don't have to, its a waste of time. I'll just stick with my Samsung Blue ray player and my samsung TV, if I pick up another Blue ray on the used market, all of my TV's will be covered. Media share would have been a nice solution, but I guess its just not to be.
That's incorrect. iTunes can convert files on the fly.

· Icon
712 Posts
If you are looking for a blu-ray player and great all around media sharing device, I would suggest a Sony PS3 for $249. It streams most movie formats plus it has Netflix and other streaming services. You have complete control just like a D* HD DVR. iTunes is a great alternative if you have an Apple PC, but I am not crazy how it works on my Windows 7 computers. Best wishes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.