DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone here knows why this is happening. I have 2 HR21-700s, one connected to a Samsung LCD and another to an older Sony LCD Projection TV. Both TVs are widescreen and both TVs have the exact dvr settings. When watching a 4x3 video back on one of the receivers it leaves it in 4x3 mode and puts the black bars left and right (this is on the Samsung), however on the other receiver it stretches the video. I have tried various things but cannot keep it from stretching. The stretching is happening on the older TV but the picture mode on the TV is in "full" and I cannot change it because the source from the DVR is a full widescreen picture. I just find it weird that it works without stretching on one but not the other. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
If it's like mine, it's not "streched", it's "cropped".

There's a bug in media share which relies on what channel the dvr is tuned to.
Bug has been there since the day media share was first introduced as beta.

If your tuned to a SD channel, your media gets broadcast as 4x3.
If your tuned to a HD channel, your media gets broadcast as 16x9.

Workaround:
Always tune the dvr to a SD channel before opening media share.

Ultimate Solution:
Keep reporting this bug to directv every week and maybe someday they'll fix it (personally I gave up reporting it since the bug is well over a year old).

·
Icon
908 Posts
Supervolcano said:
If it's like mine, it's not "streched", it's "cropped".

There's a bug in media share which relies on what channel the dvr is tuned to.
Bug has been there since the day media share was first introduced as beta.

If your tuned to a SD channel, your media gets broadcast as 4x3.
If your tuned to a HD channel, your media gets broadcast as 16x9.

Workaround:
Always tune the dvr to a SD channel before opening media share.

Ultimate Solution:
Keep reporting this bug to directv every week and maybe someday they'll fix it (personally I gave up reporting it since the bug is well over a year old).
A little more detail:

If you are tuned to a 1080i HD channel, media share output to TV will be 1080i
If you are tuned to a 720p HD channel, media share output to TV will be 720p.

My solution to this is to always tune to an HD channel. My MediaTomb script will then detect the Media Share video's resolution and add top/bottom or left/right bars to keep the video's original aspect ratio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.