DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Icon
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a How-To document on how to install MediaTomb in a VMWare virtual machine in Windows (using Ubuntu Hardy linux). This document outlines the steps I took to get this excellent media server up and running. MediaTomb has been running great for me for the past two months using various NR and CE HR2x firmware.

Note: This procedure assumes you have some familiarity with linux and it is not intended to be a linux tutorial. There are many excellent sources on the web to learn linux. Also, this document is only a draft at this point and will be refined along the way.

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Awesome, anothre great link to include in the network thread. Thanks boilerjt for this instruction sheet.

I guess I just have to install VMware here and be done with it.

· Icon
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spanky_Partain said:
Awesome, anothre great link to include in the network thread. Thanks boilerjt for this instruction sheet.

I guess I just have to install VMware here and be done with it.
I'm feeling sorry for the Windows crowd not getting to enjoy this great media server ;) Hopefully, a couple of people will benefit from this document :)

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Have you made any comparisons between using VMWare in Windows vs. native Linux? I ran Win 98 in VMWare on a Linux host several years ago and it was pretty slow compared to running 98 directly (of course that was on a slower machine with less memory than you typically find now). Win4Lin ran pretty well on the box, however.

· Icon
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bobnielsen said:
Have you made any comparisons between using VMWare in Windows vs. native Linux? I ran Win 98 in VMWare on a Linux host several years ago and it was pretty slow compared to running 98 directly (of course that was on a slower machine with less memory than you typically find now). Win4Lin ran pretty well on the box, however.
Since I already had VMWare installed for my job, it was convenient to try MediaTomb in a VM. I had a linux box running Ubuntu Feisty using Twonky at one time, but that box died a while back and I haven't gotten around to building a new one. I'm sure running native Linux will run faster (especially the video transcoding), but I've seen no issues running it in a VM. I am running a Quad Core, but the VM only seems to use one of the cores. I am able to transcode h264 1080p to mpeg2 with no issues using the VM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.