DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One Question - Why a Manage Recordings Icon?

Shouldn't that icon be replace by icons for the tools under it - ToDo List, Series Manager, Queue, History and Purchases?

Why is it only the PlayList, which is nothing more then another Manage Recording tool, has it own direct icon, while the other tools do not.

· AllStar
1,413 Posts
Remember when the icons used to "swivel?" That was cool...

I've been asking "Why?" about a lot of things since right before the HD GUI came out. I was never a fan of the banner dropdowns (Only improvement there was favorites and last four channels.)

The old popups were much quicker to get around in. Still much lamenting goes on around here about the loss of easy-access to do list, bookmark jump-to and editing functions, CC acess, etc, etc...

I'd only be able to guess that drawing more icons on the screen takes too much time and computing power than the older HRs have anymore, which is another reason I tended to prefer the "textual" popups, as they were much quicker. The "Extras" menu can take as long as 2 seconds to load its seven icons on my HR21!

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Delroy E Walleye said:
Remember when the icons used to "swivel?" That was cool...

I've been asking "Why?" about a lot of things since right before the HD GUI came out. I was never a fan of the banner dropdowns (Only improvement there was favorites and last four channels.)

The old popups were much quicker to get around in. Still much lamenting goes on around here about the loss of easy-access to do list, bookmark jump-to and editing functions, CC acess, etc, etc...

I'd only be able to guess that drawing more icons on the screen takes too much time and computing power than the older HRs have anymore, which is another reason I tended to prefer the "textual" popups, as they were much quicker. The "Extras" menu can take as long as 2 seconds to load its seven icons on my HR21!
I see no noticeable time difference between opening Recordings with just 2 icons and Extras with 8. Which would be number icons if DirecTV broke down Manage Recordings into individual icons. And I haven't seen one complaint here and nor I have notice the Extras icons having issues loading on my old HR21-200.

And if the current system can't handle small graphic, why go HD in the first place. A matter of fact with the Guide the same size as the SD graphic. Why did they go HD?

· AllStar
1,413 Posts
All legitimate questions. I was very satisfied with the HD DVR interface before the HD GUI "upgrade." I'll admit a slight overall PQ improvement when the HD GUI first debuted, so I didn't complain initially.

However, I guess I've learned it doesn't do any good to ask "Why?" as far as DTV interface programming decisions go. I've no idea who makes them, or why they do.

If they were going to bother to make a fancy HD interface, I completely agree there should be much more info on the screen than the old SD interface.

Also I wouldn't disagree with the idea that if they're going to bother with a fancy HD GUI there might as well be icons for all of the tools, functions, and "sub-functions."

My biggest problem with the main menu is waiting for all those posters to draw when pushing the "menu" button initially. Maybe my old HR21-700 is simply too slow. (We also have a HR20-700 that's noticeably faster.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.