· Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this somewhere:

Direct Tv EchoStar Info
By Ted Hearn
Multichannel News
10/6/2002 11:16:00 AM

Appearing Friday on Fox News Channel, Federal Communications Commission chairman Michael Powell said a decision on the merger between EchoStar Communications Corp. and DirecTV Inc.’s corporate parent, Hughes Electronics Corp., could be announced in a few days.

'I think we are close enough in our review that we could be days away from a decision, at least at the FCC,' Powell said in an interview with Fox News’ Neil Cavuto.

Powell’s comments came in the wake of reports that FCC staff is recommending rejection of the direct-broadcast satellite merger as anti-competitive in that it would leave millions of American households with just one DBS provider. Department of Justice staff are reportedly opposed to the deal, too.

Although pressed by Cavuto to confirm those reports, Powell declined.

'I genuinely believe that an answer from the commission is quite imminent ... hopefully, in a matter of days,' he said.

FCC rejection of the $25.8 billion deal would not come as a surprise. Both Powell and Media Bureau chief Kenneth Ferree made statements last November that the deal would create 'significant concentration.'

Cavuto also quizzed Powell on whether the FCC would be amenable to allowing News Corp. to swoop in and purchase DirecTV in the event that the EchoStar-DirecTV deal is killed by regulators.

The FCC's job, Powell said, was not to handicap mergers in advance, but to review transactions as presented to the agency for approval.

'No transaction in advance is thinkable or unthinkable,' he added.

· Icon
708 Posts
It's total stupid. Rurals will get screwed the most. I hope at least the Justice dept kills it once and for all and *D subs will get what they want.. Rupert.

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
You've been in the dark--man. On Monday the two companies asked the FCC to delay a decsion wjile they prepare major revisions to the deal. Look at the other threads.

Of course as someonme pointed out No one seems to know if the FCC agreed to delay a decision.

· Godfather
334 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, aren't rurals ALREADY getting screwed by Pegasus? Don't they pay more for the same D* programming I have?

Originally posted by Marcus S
It's total stupid. Rurals will get screwed the most. I hope at least the Justice dept kills it once and for all and *D subs will get what they want.. Rupert.

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Originally posted by EricG
Forgive my ignorance, aren't rurals ALREADY getting screwed by Pegasus? Don't they pay more for the same D* programming I have?

Yes, they pay about $5 more per month for Directv programming - but at least they have a legitimate choice.

· AllStar
75 Posts
wow, if the deal gets rejected(as will probably happen), think of the benefits! Now, when we ask them "When will _____ happen," they won't be able to say "After the merger," but will be forced to say "never!" HONESTY! wooohoooo!

· AllStar
85 Posts
Tell me this. If its anti-competitive to only have one Satellite TV provider, then why isn't it anti-competitive to have only one cable TV provider per market?

The FCC has passed law that supports local market cable tv monopoly, yet they claim this satellite merger would be bad when it would actually be the same thing. Why one standard for one medium and a different standard for another?

The same thing goes for this local channel business. Why can't I be allowed to view channels outside my market? I can read a newspaper or listen to radio on the internet from another market. Why is TV different. The FCC needs to explain itself.

· Legend
123 Posts
Jericho... The law allows jurisdictions to have multiple cable companies now, but the problem is that most don't do it because of locked "exclusive" contracts set up for years at a time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.