DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
Jin So said:
Since our equip will be out of date, are they going to give us a discount on upgraded sets or are they going to give us the shaft, if so that woul ready suck.
Oh I'm sure we will have to buy the new equipment when it is available. That was one of the reasons I was against the merger.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
93 Posts
Dolly said:
Oh I'm sure we will have to buy the new equipment when it is available. That was one of the reasons I was against the merger.
That doesn't make sense guys....

There are 18.5M subscribers and 2 sets of sats in orbit. You don't just throw that away. Your existing Eq will continue to receive the same frequencies/formats that they receive today. You would need new equipment to receive both sets of satellites in the same receiver. You would need that for receiving ALL of the content from both XM and Sirius. I would expect some XM content will be fed to the Sirius satellites and some Sirius content will be fed to the XM satellites. (e.g NFL on the XM sats). And, of course, some content will be combined/common to both (e.g. I would expect one 70's channel fed to both XM and Sirius satellites.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,911 Posts
Part of the merger approval agreement was that both companies would continue to support legacy equipment forever. People are generally against mergers because they don't know all the terms and conditions that make them more consumer-friendly. If folks take the time to educate themselves these things would be taking less of a beating in the media, with consumers fueling the fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,911 Posts
Jin So said:
I know what the terms are. Just want to know it they are giving upgrades to us who have legancy equip
Why should they? They're already bleeding money... and anyway, you signed up under one service not knowing that there would be a merger (or, if you did, you did it at your own risk) so they owe you nothing. And they didn't "give you the shaft." Quite the contrary, actually, they are giving you what you signed up for. Enjoy! :)
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tcusta00 said:
Why should they? They're already bleeding money... and anyway, you signed up under one service not knowing that there would be a merger (or, if you did, you did it at your own risk) so they owe you nothing. And they didn't "give you the shaft." Quite the contrary, actually, they are giving you what you signed up for. Enjoy! :)
There was no talks of a merger when I first signed up
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
467 Posts
Do you really need both services??? I got a Stiletto 2, it's fine for at least two or three years, at least. Now, I might add some of the XM stuff through the Ala-cart option that is going to be available.

tcusta, tell me if I am wrong here. With new equipment and both services available on one receiver, the sat radio service won't be $12.99/month. It can't be, they both loose money with subs @ $12.99.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
467 Posts
tcusta00 said:
I'd love to tell you if you're wrong but I have no clue what you're asking. :lol:
What I am asking I guess. When new receivers come out that get both XM / Sirius has either of there been any talk of what cost there going to pass on to us that might buy one of these new receivers? I can't see them saying you can have both services for $12.99 / month.

Your right, I was a bit vague earlier. Xmmerger.com I thought had this type of info on it, now it takes you to XM's site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,911 Posts
vollmey said:
What I am asking I guess. When new receivers come out that get both XM / Sirius has either of there been any talk of what cost there going to pass on to us that might buy one of these new receivers? I can't see them saying you can have both services for $12.99 / month.

Your right, I was a bit vague earlier. Xmmerger.com I thought had this type of info on it, now it takes you to XM's site.
Yes, they did have prospective costs out... IIRC from the xmmerger.com site, when it was active, you could get both services for ~$16. I don't know what's actually going to be offered, but I'd imagine it will be similar to what was advertised pre-merger since they don't want to piss off the "powers that be" that approved the merger to begin with.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,498 Posts
$16.99 gets you XM Everything and Sirius Select, or Sirius Everything and XM Select.. A full subscription to each service, XM Everything and Sirius Everything are $12.95 each, making it $25.90, the same amount dual subscribers have been paying for years now. Or at least that was the original plan.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
777 Posts
vollmey said:
I got a Stiletto 2, it's fine for at least two or three years, at least. Now, I might add some of the XM stuff through the Ala-cart option that is going to be available.
The current equipment will not support Ala Carte according to the Merger FAQ. That option will require new equipment.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
160 Posts
Jin So said:
Since our equip will be out of date, are they going to give us a discount on upgraded sets or are they going to give us the shaft, if so that woul ready suck.
Your equipment won't be out of date and it will continue to work. Mel explained why it has to be that way. The factory installed radios that people have in their cars must continue to work for the life of those cars. They don't expect people to install aftermarket radios in those cars and if they didn't service those systems, they know that they would lose many subscribers. They aren't dumb.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,156 Posts
Steve Mehs said:
$16.99 gets you XM Everything and Sirius Select, or Sirius Everything and XM Select.. A full subscription to each service, XM Everything and Sirius Everything are $12.95 each, making it $25.90, the same amount dual subscribers have been paying for years now. Or at least that was the original plan.
Mel did state at the Town Hall meeting that when dual sub radios come out, that they would have to look into whether to offer both services at a discount.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top