DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate my HR20. It is such a clunky POS. It just locked up, and I haven't been able to restart it, typically I have to use the reset button once a week, but this time, even that wasn't enough. I had to unplug my ethernet cable to get the box to reboot. I tried unplugging the power 3 times to no avail, but I kept noticing a lot of blinking at the network interface on the back of the box (through the case, this thing has the most ridiculously bright lights all over it, but I digress) and BAM, as soon as I unplugged the network cable it started right up. Well, I mean, it started up, but now it's been about 5 min and the picture came up for a second on the last channel we were watching (95).

I'm pissed, I've missed the first half of the first quarter of the Cowboys/Eagles game.

I have a HR10-250 as a backup, I almost hooked it back up, thinking this HR20-700 was dead.

What is the deal with these things, why do they seem to suck so bad? I know the HR10-250 was slow to deal with, but it WORKED. ALWAYS...

Oh well, I guess it's the price of being an early adopter, but it seems that a horsepower upgrade to the HR10-250, like an MPEG4 decoder and a bigger hard drive, and it'd be the perfect machine...
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
The network cable attached lockup at reboot is well documented here. If you dont need it, dont connect it right now...plain and simple. The HR10-250 was a mature product, as all the Tivo based products were, and the HR20 is new. And this coment is not directed at you, but all early adopters, constant complainers.

If you dont like the way it works, keep your old one in service until you do feel it meets your standards.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,573 Posts
CCarncross said:
If you dont like the way it works, keep your old one in service until you do feel it meets your standards.
This is not a happy situation unless DirecTV is willing to indefinitely deactivate the HR20 and/or not charge for the HR10.

· AllStar
77 Posts
Didn't Howard Hughes design the HR20, or was it Hugh Hefner....I forget?

· Mentor
41 Posts
I think we should all thank D* for the free, multiple showings of "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" on the 101! It really brought the holidays home. Thanks D*! :rolleyes:

Did MST3K ever show that movie? I really would have welcomed their version, but maybe it was too easy for them.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
jonaswan2 said:
Howard Hughes is dead. Why would you say Merry Christmas to a dead person? That's kind of mean. :)
Its interesting that this new poster just signed up here 12/25/06, posted only 1 post, and then left after venting strongly here - hmmmmmm......... :eek2:

Anyone think think ths is one of the banned folks showing up again for one last hurrah? Probably. :rolleyes:

· DBSTalk Club Member
1,363 Posts
not a purposeful thread, eh

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that my post count is low, and I know that this post is purely a rant, but I am a lurker, and I have modded other PVR's (TiVos) in the past so even though I may not post a lot I read as much as I can (I'm not convinced that I should have to with a consumer device like this).

I am just dissatisfied with the quality or lack thereof of this box, that's all.

If you think the HR20 is great, I'm happy for you, truly. I'm just not terribly happy...

I hope they get the bugs worked out soon, really. REALLY.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.