DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Caller ID has never worked and I know thats a minor issue but it got me wondering about messages from D*? Has anybody recieved any messages?
I have not recieved any according to my "messages log".:confused:
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has generated a lot of post...
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
135 Posts
So what does it mean for called ID to work? I can go into the menu function and ultuimately list out all the calls I've received. Does that mean its working? I thought I'd get a message on the TV when a call came in telling me who it was. That isn't happening. So what is it supposed to do?
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slimy. hit menu, scroll down to "calls & msgs" and turn notices on. Then a "pop up" will appear on your screen when you get a call...
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm more inerested if any messages from D* have gone out and I'm not recieveing them also...
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
895 Posts
tjboyd said:
I'm more inerested if any messages from D* have gone out and I'm not recieveing them also...
DirecTV hasn't sent out any messages in months now. I have no clue what the last message was because they seem to clear out like 2 weeks after you've read them.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
93 Posts
tjboyd said:
Slimy. hit menu, scroll down to "calls & msgs" and turn notices on. Then a "pop up" will appear on your screen when you get a call...
I have done that and my HR20 still refuses to display the caller's ID on the tv screen.

This has to be the BUGGIEST receiver ever put out by DTV.

jr
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
135 Posts
tjboyd said:
Slimy. hit menu, scroll down to "calls & msgs" and turn notices on. Then a "pop up" will appear on your screen when you get a call...
Thanks but messages are enabled. I still don't get any pop ups when the phone rings although the calls are correctly logged in. When I go to review past calls they are all there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
SlimyPizza said:
Thanks but messages are enabled. I still don't get any pop ups when the phone rings although the calls are correctly logged in. When I go to review past calls they are all there.
I can't tell anyone if the full feature set of CID work, but I was watching when the phone rang, and I got a notification screen johnny on the spot. It appears that notification was turned on by default. I went into the menus and turned it off.

So, at least from a "you've got mail" point of view CID looks like it might work here.

Just another data point...it shows on my screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,624 Posts
hasan said:
I can't tell anyone if the full feature set of CID work, but I was watching when the phone rang, and I got a notification screen johnny on the spot. It appears that notification was turned on by default. I went into the menus and turned it off.

So, at least from a "you've got mail" point of view CID looks like it might work here.

Just another data point...it shows on my screen.
Yep, that's how it's supposed to work. But the current Caller ID problems seem to fall into two camps ....

1) Caller ID displays a "You must subscribe to your phone company's Caller ID Service" message instead of actually displaying the Caller ID info. For most folks reporting this problem Caller ID works fine on their phones and other DirecTV Receivers, and it doesn't matter if they have DSL or not. This is the problem I have with mine.

2) Caller ID logs calls into the Caller ID Log, but nothing displays on screen. I've only seen a few mentions of this particular bug.

Supposedly the latest 0xdc release fixed Caller ID problems, but I've seen no posts here to suggest that it's gotten better.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
219 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Yep, that's how it's supposed to work. But the current Caller ID problems seem to fall into two camps ....

1) Caller ID displays a "You must subscribe to your phone company's Caller ID Service" message instead of actually displaying the Caller ID info. For most folks reporting this problem Caller ID works fine on their phones and other DirecTV Receivers, and it doesn't matter if they have DSL or not. This is the problem I have with mine.

2) Caller ID logs calls into the Caller ID Log, but nothing displays on screen. I've only seen a few mentions of this particular bug.

Supposedly the latest 0xdc release fixed Caller ID problems, but I've seen no posts here to suggest that it's gotten better.
Some HR20s were fixed by 0xdc. Mine wasn't working before the update. Now it is working. I waited 7 months for my H20's caller ID to be fixed. The HR20 took only 5 weeks. I suspect the same problem existed on both boxes and required the same fix.

Here is the protocol. The problem could vary from a timing issue to a software buffer being overwritten. It could be any number of things. But since the problem on my HR20 was fixed there must have been more than one problem.

http://www.tech-faq.com/caller-id.shtml
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Litzdog - The Caller ID aside, do you know of any messages that D* has sent out since the released the HR20? Or a way to test it? My thinking is that if the Caller ID is not logging on my HR20, neither would any messages from D*. I know it is a small issue but I'm making sure everything is working or not...
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
135 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Yep, that's how it's supposed to work. But the current Caller ID problems seem to fall into two camps ....

1) Caller ID displays a "You must subscribe to your phone company's Caller ID Service" message instead of actually displaying the Caller ID info. For most folks reporting this problem Caller ID works fine on their phones and other DirecTV Receivers, and it doesn't matter if they have DSL or not. This is the problem I have with mine.

2) Caller ID logs calls into the Caller ID Log, but nothing displays on screen. I've only seen a few mentions of this particular bug.

Supposedly the latest 0xdc release fixed Caller ID problems, but I've seen no posts here to suggest that it's gotten better.
OK, now I see the caller ID notes pop up real time as I'd have expected they should. This didn't happen until recently (now is the first time I saw that). Perhaps the 10/11 update fixed it and I didn't pick up on it till now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,624 Posts
tjboyd said:
Litzdog - The Caller ID aside, do you know of any messages that D* has sent out since the released the HR20? Or a way to test it? My thinking is that if the Caller ID is not logging on my HR20, neither would any messages from D*. I know it is a small issue but I'm making sure everything is working or not...
No. I had one of the first HR20 DVRs and have not received any DirecTV Messages yet.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
895 Posts
vlj9r said:
I have done that and my HR20 still refuses to display the caller's ID on the tv screen.

This has to be the BUGGIEST receiver ever put out by DTV.

jr
Have you ever met the D10/D11/R15/H20 before in your life?

(FYI - All of them have a similar problem)
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
268 Posts
My caller Id has never worked on one of my boxes 2 HR20 but I was watching TV earlier today and the phone rang and bang the caller id started working. I went in and checked the log and it looks like it started working today. Really weird but both boxes now work. I even called my self with my cell phone a couple of times and it always worked. Weird.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
425 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Yep, that's how it's supposed to work. But the current Caller ID problems seem to fall into two camps ....

1) Caller ID displays a "You must subscribe to your phone company's Caller ID Service" message instead of actually displaying the Caller ID info. For most folks reporting this problem Caller ID works fine on their phones and other DirecTV Receivers, and it doesn't matter if they have DSL or not. This is the problem I have with mine.

2) Caller ID logs calls into the Caller ID Log, but nothing displays on screen. I've only seen a few mentions of this particular bug.

Supposedly the latest 0xdc release fixed Caller ID problems, but I've seen no posts here to suggest that it's gotten better.
And a 3rd "camp" is that you don't get the subscription message, it doesn't display in the log or on the set & yes, Caller ID is functional on that line. Worked for about a week and hasn't worked since. Hasn't worked on the R-15 in about 6 months either.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top