DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· AllStar
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an ISP and I offer voice services. I'm looking at teaming up with a developer to provide my services throughout his condos. I am interested in the MFH3 system. Other than what's in the DirecTV PDF, can anyone tell me what is required of the system?

How much does it cost? What sort of comission structure is there?
Basic headend is $40k. Expanded is $60k - $70k. SD receivers are $10 - $15. HD-DVR receivers are $150 - $180.

Is a slimline antenna still used or can we upgrade to something that has more gain to overcome rain fade?
The slimline is used, but you can upgrade to dedicated dishes (I've heard between 2 and 5 dishes of higher gain and heated) for $1500 - $2k.

Is it a rack of DirecTV equipment, then standard data network until the receiver (I'm assuming so)?
Yes, but only a half rack or so.

Can OTA channels be pumped into the system?
Yes, at an additional cost.

Are the channels unicast from the DirecTV rack to the receiver, or is there some sort of multicast at play?
They are multicast, requiring specific Allied Telesyn or Alcatel\Lucent switches.

Are the receiver and rack required to be on the same broadcast domain or is it routed IP compatible?
Details not known.

How much bandwidth does it consume? I see the PDF says gigabit network, but two things. 1) I doubt it exceeds the capabilities of a 100 mbit connection. 2) Am I needing bonded GigE or 10GigE in the core to provide adequate bandwidth? Are the NICs on the receivers 100 meg or GigE?
100 mbit to the client is fine. GigE comes out of the headend.

How many receivers are supported? I thought I heard 500 receivers. I have 8 receivers in my house, yet they are saying it's for developments over 150 units. What happens or what can be done once you exceed that limit?
500 is the basic system, 1024 is the expanded v2 system. It won't die, but quality will degrade past that. You can buy another headend.

Can I inject a public access channel into the system?
Yes, same as local channels.

Does the HD-DVR still have dual "tuners"? Does this count as an additional receiver in the above receiver limit?
Yes, only counts as a single receiver.

How does the dollar flow? End User - Me - DirecTV? Can I charge whatever I want to the End User (both below and above what DirecTV charges)?
Can do a bulk billing where you get a reduced rate from DirecTV for buying so many, doing what you want with it. Customers can still upgrade at that retail cost. Additional receivers are still $5.
You can also do a commission plan where the customer deals with DirecTV directly, but you get a check.

What benefits will the End User see beyond a standard DirecTV install or a standard cable install?
Ease of troubleshooting.

Is there any technical restriction to the distance from DirecTV equipment to receiver, given sufficient bandwidth, packet loss, jitter, etc.? IE: Could this be used in a triple-play situation with receivers perhaps tens, hundreds, thousands of miles away from the DirecTV rack?
No, other than you cannot cross the public right of way by contract.

What are the power requirements of the DirecTV rack?
150 watts x 3 units (6 plugs for redundant power).

· Godfather
261 Posts
sir, you need to go through an authorised DTV dealer, your request will be answered by somebody in you area prepared to work with you on this project, finding a "working partner is the key. Without a competent contractor to install the DTV part, your dead before you ever get going. I could answer some of your questions but I would be doing you a disservice.Have you ask DTV for the name of a decent service rep or installation contractor? Called Multiband USA? good luck sir...

· AllStar
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sattec said:
sir, you need to go through an authorised DTV dealer, your request will be answered by somebody in you area prepared to work with you on this project, finding a "working partner is the key. Without a competent contractor to install the DTV part, your dead before you ever get going. I could answer some of your questions but I would be doing you a disservice.Have you ask DTV for the name of a decent service rep or installation contractor? Called Multiband USA? good luck sir...
I have called DirecTV, they referred me to Multiband, which haven't gotten back to me in a week. I've since reached out to several others, 2 of which have answered me.

It's not like any of this is difficult to do or figure out.

· Cool Member
13 Posts
mhammett said:
I have called DirecTV, they referred me to Multiband, which haven't gotten back to me in a week. I've since reached out to several others, 2 of which have answered me.

It's not like any of this is difficult to do or figure out.
NACE (North American Cable & Equip DTV MSO) and AFL are your best options with MFH3, they have the most deployed systems. Call Andrew O. at NACE and he can get you started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.